Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-02-2015, 17:28   #1126
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
He uses a metal detector to find lost valuables at the beach. He does better if he researches likely spots to find good stuff.
And that he collects whale vomit or would like to..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 18:13   #1127

Boat: Ferrocement Converted Trawler, 13m

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
And that he collects whale vomit or would like to..

Ambergris is not whale vomit, although it was thought to be for a long time. It actually comes out the other end.
At between $3,000 and $20,000 per kilogram, it poses a fairly profitable prospect for any cruiser in close proximity to adult male sperm whales.
Not only is the product itself highly sought after, a number of researchers are prepared to pay handsomely for data on cetaceans. The data they are most interested in is photographs of the tails of fluking whales. When a whale dives, it lifts its tail vertically in the air allowing a brilliant photo opportunity. As the tail of a large cetacean is as individual as a human fingerprint, good quality, time and geo-stamped images provide excellent data for anyone interested in cetacean population and migration trends.
In my case, I've chosen to provide my catalogue of cetacean photos to a NZ university at no cost in exchange for realtime information on adult male sperm whale movements and sightings. The arrangement should prove to be like swapping photos of rocks for geological data from a mineral prospector.
I'd recommend that cruisers get involved with providing data for cetacean researchers. The more help the legitimate agencies get, the less likely the Japanese are to get permission to continue killing whales in the name of research.

Peace.
Mr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 19:10   #1128
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr42 View Post
Ambergris is not whale vomit, although it was thought to be for a long time. It actually comes out the other end.
At between $3,000 and $20,000 per kilogram, it poses a fairly profitable prospect for any cruiser in close proximity to adult male sperm whales.
Not only is the product itself highly sought after, a number of researchers are prepared to pay handsomely for data on cetaceans. The data they are most interested in is photographs of the tails of fluking whales. When a whale dives, it lifts its tail vertically in the air allowing a brilliant photo opportunity. As the tail of a large cetacean is as individual as a human fingerprint, good quality, time and geo-stamped images provide excellent data for anyone interested in cetacean population and migration trends.
In my case, I've chosen to provide my catalogue of cetacean photos to a NZ university at no cost in exchange for realtime information on adult male sperm whale movements and sightings. The arrangement should prove to be like swapping photos of rocks for geological data from a mineral prospector.
I'd recommend that cruisers get involved with providing data for cetacean researchers. The more help the legitimate agencies get, the less likely the Japanese are to get permission to continue killing whales in the name of research.

Peace.
I stand corrected , you want to collect whale dookie..sounds more profitable than chicken farming!! Good luck
Old 09-02-2015, 19:12   #1129
Marine Service Provider

what differentiates the 3000 dollar stuff from the 20000 dollar stuff?
Old 09-02-2015, 22:53   #1130

OK. I give in. I've been watching this thread and I think it's time that I throw my two cents in. Especially after reading some people are looking at taking greennies is out to hook fish and others working on the Internet for Indian wages.

Give me a break. So many money making ideas that are great for a boat. I have some incredible ideas that will make you a small fortune. But these ideas are so great I must charge you for them. Only $10.00 for my first private email of my incredible money making ideas and you will be on your way to financial cruising independence. But wait there is more. For those who send me money now and sign up now to my money making email you will get the opportunity of becoming elite sales persons for the money making email. You will get $1.00 for every person you sign up who gives me $10.00 Act now before I run out of emails and you miss the boat.

Your friend who is Going Walkabout
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:18   #1131

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
He uses a metal detector to find lost valuables at the beach. He does better if he researches likely spots to find good stuff.
I still want to know what a "hard yard" is.

Just curious.

a thousand a week from old battery lead?
Old 10-02-2015, 06:50   #1132
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

Just curious.

Just a guess but it may be a "salvage yard" or a "junk yard"..
Old 10-02-2015, 14:48   #1133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post

Just curious.

"The hard yards", is a colloquialism for hard work, where "yards" are used as a measure of distance and "hard" is used to mean difficult or strenuous.

Eg: "The only way to get fit is to put in the hard yards."

Peace.
Old 10-02-2015, 15:06   #1134

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
what differentiates the 3000 dollar stuff from the 20000 dollar stuff?

When fresh, ambergris is quite soft, oily and moist. As it dries it hardens and looses a lot of weight.
Whilst useful at any stage of maturity, the older the specimen the more concentrated it gets.

Perfumers have used it for centuries as a base for some of the finest perfumes. The scent changes significantly over time and a perfume blender may use ambergris of a number of grades and ages in any given blend.

Essentially, ambergris is like a whale pearl. When large males eat giant and colossal squid, the beaks act as an irritant in their digestive systems. Ambergris is thought to form around these shards of squid beak in order to protect the intestinal lining, much like a pearl forms to protect a shellfish.

Peace.
Old 10-02-2015, 17:11   #1135

Boat: Looking for 30-50' preferable a schooner
Send a message via Skype™ to craigglewis

Agility, Now that it has been a few months since you read the 4 hour Work week how are things?

Craig
craigglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 17:56   #1136

Boat: Chris White A47 Mastfoil

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigglewis View Post
Agility, Now that it has been a few months since you read the 4 hour Work week how are things?

Craig

Hum, I'm still working crazy hours but a little less crazy. I've collapsed my direct report to 4 from 8. I purchased a boat and am planning to write the book in the boat I plan to call Singularity.
Agility is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 17:21   #1137

Boat: Ericson 27, Laguna 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agility View Post
I'd like to create an exhaustive list of how folks who are deeply passionate about cruising have also found ways to make money while cruising.

<snip>

Keep the list going so the next idea is number 6.
I dunno whether it's true but I've heard of non-dentist sailors doing dentistry for money in Third World countries.

Not for me but here's all you need:

http://modernsurvivalonline.com/File..._Full_Book.pdf
df1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 12:03   #1138

Quote:
Originally Posted by df1995 View Post
I dunno whether it's true but I've heard of non-dentist sailors doing dentistry for money in Third World countries.

Not for me but here's all you need:

http://modernsurvivalonline.com/File..._Full_Book.pdf

I met a guy who travels around as a surgeon. I'm pretty sure he was qualified but some villages might just be desperate enough not to care either way.

Peace.
Old 15-02-2015, 12:19   #1139
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

I met a guy once who made money by working illegally and it all worked out great until the locals started to complain to the police about the guy taking money out of the local mouths. The next thing he knew his visa was mysteriously canceled and his boat chained to the dock until he got his immigration status fixed....that never happened and he took a bus back to Canada and who knows what happened to his boat.

What became of "Charles" ?
He became an internet chat room expert on how to earn money while cruising and now does the boat show speaking circuit for the free drinks and blonga sandwiches.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2015, 12:42   #1140
Armchair Bucketeer

I harvest rocking horse **** - storage always easy. Lol.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle