Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 26-04-2016, 04:49   #1231

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Hi,

interesting thread.
Now suppose you have few ideas for services you could render to other boats while on anchorages.

Whats the best way for advertising them when you arrive at the anchorage?
Surely you want the cruising boats to know, but surely less (in many cases) officials or locals.
This is not about the pro's and con's on offering small services under the radar.

I'm after the best way to promote such services without drawing to much attention from the "wrong" clients.

Thanks for your thoughts!
Franziska is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 04:54   #1232
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Hi,

interesting thread.
Now suppose you have few ideas for services you could render to other boats while on anchorages.

Surely you want the cruising boats to know, but surely less (in many cases) officials or locals.
This is not about the pro's and con's on offering small services under the radar.

I'm after the best way to promote such services without drawing to much attention from the "wrong" clients.

Anywhere you post a notice; at the local marina, cruisers' hang outs, even online in a forum or website far from where you are anchored, can be seen by anyone and usually will be sooner or later.

Only way I can think of staying under the radar is to stick to word of mouth advertising. Meet some of your boating neighbors and mention what you do.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 07:20   #1233
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

I have a great idea ..Sail into the Black Sea and sell guns..Lots of customers..One could become very wealthy selling guns anywhere in the near future not just the Black Sea...Or one could sell life jackets in the Med. or run a taxi service from North Africa to Greece..There are all types of ways to make money while out cruising this day and time..Of course you would have to be very careful as some folks might not like the idea of people out "cruising around" while such world changing events are taking place..Yep lots of money making ops. out there if you have the guts for it....
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 07:41   #1234
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Hi,

interesting thread.

A lot of us who do a bit on the side use introduction cards.. name, boat, skills (hull cleaning, sails, rigging, delivery etc.) phone, e-mail.. hand them out in the cruisers bars with folks you meet.. likely you'll get one back.. and if they like you your name may get passed on for a job sometime.. if you've not moved on.. lol

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 08:09   #1235

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svmidnightsun View Post
I day trade the Futures Market E-Mini and Oil. All you need is an internet connection and computer. Get connected and the market is ready to trade from any location.
I wouldn't be playing in E mini and Oil right now but the Iron Ore guys are a good play. Made 100k since January and am sitting in an all cash position right now waiting for the stocks to fall back a little more after last week's insanity. But even to buy and hold right now is a good bet as these stocks are undervalued.

Rio, Rio, Rio.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 16:55   #1236
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
I wouldn't be playing in E mini and Oil right now but the Iron Ore guys are a good play. Made 100k since January and am sitting in an all cash position right now waiting for the stocks to fall back a little more after last week's insanity. But even to buy and hold right now is a good bet as these stocks are undervalued.

Rio, Rio, Rio.
China sounded the death call for all things steel today..rebar,tubes,rolled everthing went down the drain..Gov cutting excess capacity ie. state owned enterprises,raising transaction fees etc,wont open old plants as most thought they would..the good old days seem to be coming to an end in china .US fighting back on charges of dumping practices..... China to curb all the speculation..
Old 26-04-2016, 17:08   #1237
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Apple Forecasts Second Sales Drop as iPhone Woes Deepen - Bloomberg

Don't look now but....
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 05:07   #1238

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
China sounded the death call for all things steel today..rebar,tubes,rolled everthing went down the drain..Gov cutting excess capacity ie. state owned enterprises,raising transaction fees etc,wont open old plants as most thought they would..the good old days seem to be coming to an end in china .US fighting back on charges of dumping practices..... China to curb all the speculation..
Yes the more volatility the better. That is how you make money in that game.

But over the long term BHP and Rio and probably Vale are good investments as they are the ones that will survive all this turmoil and likely will increase market share once some of the high cost producers are out of the market.

In the mean time the large swings in the share prices are an opportunity to cash in. In the last month alone there has been a L600 swing on the London stock exchange but the stock is still L400 higher than the low in Dec/Jan. So this was an opportunity to gain over L1000 per share. Somebody is making massive profits for doing nothing but sitting in front of their computer.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2016, 05:53   #1239
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercutter View Post
Yes the more volatility the better. That is how you make money in that game.

But over the long term BHP and Rio and probably Vale are good investments as they are the ones that will survive all this turmoil and likely will increase market share once some of the high cost producers are out of the market.

In the mean time the large swings in the share prices are an opportunity to cash in. In the last month alone there has been a L600 swing on the London stock exchange but the stock is still L400 higher than the low in Dec/Jan. So this was an opportunity to gain over L1000 per share. Somebody is making massive profits for doing nothing but sitting in front of their computer.
Yea you cant kill off Tinto..slap them on one cheek and they show you six more..
Old 30-04-2016, 05:52   #1240

Boat: Endurance 35

I just purchased a plotter/fishfinder that does just that. You can connect to the internet and share your data with other users that share theirs. Lowrance/Navionics Hook series of plotters are very inexpencive and mount to most transducers that are currently mounted in your hull. I bought the cheap "4" inch for $299, but you can get up to a "12". I will switch this out on my Kayak for fishing streams and lakes as well as navigating the sound with my cruiser.
Goldspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 06:44   #1241
cruiser

One can buy a five year old iPad 1 for around $75 that will do the same thing as your chart plotter and more. I just bought a waterproof, floating case for one of our older models for $6.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 12:29   #1242

Boat: Catalina 30

I work from home for a large IT company, all I need is an internet connection. However, now having just bought the boat I need to figure how to access broadband at sea, mostly the Caribbean. Satellite looks to be very expensive, folks have mentioned SSB. I know there are threads on it, still researching, but that's how I would do it. I have a mobile hotspot, but that requires cellular service. Any hints for a long time sailor, short time boat owner?
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 13:37   #1243

Boat: Niagara 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyamwhatiyam View Post
I work from home for a large IT company, all I need is an internet connection. However, now having just bought the boat I need to figure how to access broadband at sea, mostly the Caribbean. Satellite looks to be very expensive, folks have mentioned SSB. I know there are threads on it, still researching, but that's how I would do it. I have a mobile hotspot, but that requires cellular service. Any hints for a long time sailor, short time boat owner?
True broadband at sea is obscenely expensive. You can get affordable very limited Internet at sea and then mobile service when you get where you are going. Even the latter will be very slow in many parts of the world.

It all depends what bandwidth you really need.

Chris - SailMentor.com
Old 04-05-2016, 13:46   #1244
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyamwhatiyam View Post
As you found out, satellite is EXPENSIVE but SSB is SLOW, absolutely not what one would call broad band. Think max 5-10 kbps with the latest gear which will set you back a few thousand in hardware. Your best bet will be to get local SIM for 3G/4G or wifi from a marina, hotel or similar.

At sea, you can choose between high cost or low speed.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 14:17   #1245

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

I wonder if anyone makes money providing a "shopping service" at marinas or anchorage fields. Basics and daily needs like bread milk fuel water etc delivered to the boat. At my marina it is a $50 taxi fare to get to the nearest decent supermarket. There is a provisioning service for the the charter yachts but they have $100 surcharge.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
paracelle