Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 31-05-2016, 09:30   #1306
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Re: Make Money While Cruising - List

It would be a LOT of work....but you could easily make money these days with a YouTube channel and Subscription Videos. But like keeping an active blog fresh and updated, you need to publish or DIE. No fresh posts or content means you don't exist. But if you could do a weekly Video...people would pay for that...plus advertisers...sponsors...etc. Oh and if you are a handsome guy with an attractive babe in a Bikini...heck...it could be a Gold mine. But if you are fat and balding like me...ha ha ha...forget about it, the best you can do is troubleshooting videos....

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqS...eKXRp9ElrjcikQ
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:28   #1307
CLOD

Boat: none

I got a pm asking my advise on drug running from a post from this thread. Makes wonder if people are researching sail boat drug running
Old 05-06-2016, 13:15   #1308
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I got a pm asking my advise on drug running from a post from this thread. Makes wonder if people are researching sail boat drug running
Did it specifie drug running?
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 14:35   #1309
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Did it specifie drug running?
Well yea! New CF member with 0 posts. Makes me wonder if he was doing an internet search on how to run drugs. I don't think I misunderstood the PM:

"but one of the entries on your list of money makers was "drug running". What are your serious thoughts on this if the plan is well thought out and executed correctly?
I ask you because I imagine you have alot more experience than me as well as a sufficiently open mind to consider the idea without instantly rejecting it as most people would"
Old 05-06-2016, 16:36   #1310
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Well yea! New CF member with 0 posts. Makes me wonder if he was doing an internet search on how to run drugs. I don't think I misunderstood the PM:

"but one of the entries on your list of money makers was "drug running". What are your serious thoughts on this if the plan is well thought out and executed correctly?
I ask you because I imagine you have alot more experience than me as well as a sufficiently open mind to consider the idea without instantly rejecting it as most people would"
Any chance his email address was anonymous@dea.gov ?

Maybe trolling for new "customers".
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 08:36   #1311

Boat: Catalina 30

Don't know if anyone has suggested this previously, but I stumbled across BoatDay yesterday. Looks like Uber for boats. Has anyone used it?

BoatDay - Our mission
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 17:14   #1312

Boat: Dont, Have One Yet, 0

You could offer services that takes people out to sea to the Islands, once off the cost you can offer Alcohol Beverages and Sandwitches, make sure to add Wheathins as they are a good treat around water for some reason, and you as the SOBER pilot of the Boat all will be safe and enjoyable for your passengers, offer weekend getaways and/or 1 & 2 week Charters.
Now your boat will have to be set up to be luxurious, separate Head for crew and passengers, washer & dryer for passengers cloths.
This is something I would pay for, as most offering like this are extremely expensive, you can offer a more reasonable price with a smaller boat that the average working Sheeple can afford on a vacation budget of about $2,500 for a weekend. I dont even have a boat yet and I have people offering me that kind of money on a Lake when I do get one, mainly because I know them and they trust me to take care of them.
You know .... wear the nice butler/scoffer outfit, stay showered and not smelling bad, you will get word of mouth business, I am thinking you would at least need a newer 41 foot boat to make these accommodations.
rcttsoul2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 09:45   #1313

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

One of my friends on board is a book keeper. She charges by the hour and works in batches when we are somewhere with Internet.
Old 21-06-2016, 15:45   #1314

Hi guys long time lurker, just wanted to share my personal real world experiences with making money online while cruising. I am an affiliate marketer, which essentially means I earn referral commissions for selling other people's physical or digital products online. Currently I do this around 15 hours per week around my day job.

Most of my online income is derived from Amazon's affiliate program (called Amazon Associates), which is around $800 USD per month at the moment, and will do 3x - 4x this in December. Doesn't sound like much, but any money that can be earned regardless of location is fantastic! This is a simple low financial input business that is scaling well. I create mini websites comparing particular products, or simply promoting the benefits of a type of product. People click through my links and I earn a commission.

Is it hard work?
Somewhat yes, it has taken almost 3 years to get here.
Is it worth it?
Yes, I can literally make money on the beach as long as I have an internet connection. Even so, I can take a few weeks off or do a long passage and the passive income doesn't really slow down.
Can anyone do it?
Yes but as long as you're persistent to go through the hard times. They say that 98% of affiliate marketers quit, I can see why.
Where can I learn?
Have a look around on Udemy, there's hundreds of 'make money online' courses that can teach you, you just need to find a teacher that resonates with you and has actually achieved what they're teaching.

In addition to Amazon, I have successful in promoting language learning programs that I have used myself. These are great as the commissions are significantly higher than Amazon. I am also beginning to pick up commissions through promoting Australian online storefronts.

My easiest strategy so far is simply using AirBnB to rent out my place when I'm gone. When I go cruising or on vacation for a couple of weeks, I can rent out my entire place for around $170 a night which more than covers the mortgage whilst I'm gone, or just my spare bedroom. I can also rent out the boat whilst it's parked in the marina offsetting the cost of ownership. There's a link to my FREE eBook in my signature that can assist you in launching your place on AirBnB.

What I have learned is that there are actually 100's of ways to make money online. The key is to find one single strategy that works for you, be passionate about the finish line and understand that the process, like a passage, takes time and be prepared for delays.
Save
Save
WorkWithJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 06:57   #1315

Boat: Catalina 30

The last two replies involve the requirement for an internet connection. I work from home in IT and all I need is my mobile hotspot, which is fine if I am in cell tower range. (My wife can be driving the car while I work from the passenger seat for example).

What are the strategies for establishing and maintaining an internet connection while cruising, speaking from your experience?
iyamwhatiyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 07:59   #1316
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by iyamwhatiyam View Post
The last two replies involve the requirement for an internet connection. I work from home in IT and all I need is my mobile hotspot, which is fine if I am in cell tower range. (My wife can be driving the car while I work from the passenger seat for example).

What are the strategies for establishing and maintaining an internet connection while cruising, speaking from your experience?
The answer depends on location and bandwidth you need.

If anchored or moored in areas that are developed you can link with either cell 3G/4G or wifi. Cellular coverage seems to be the better option in most locations.

If away from a developed area then you have two choices. First by various satellite options, very low bandwidth or very expensive. Second by HF radio IE shortwave radio. You can use amateur radio (Ham) channels but they cannot be used for commercial communications. For business use you will have to go with marine HF systems usually referred to as marine SSB.

The question comes up frequently and has been covered in great, extensive and technical detail if you want to learn more. Forum search function should give you several hours of reading if you want to delve deeper.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 11:14   #1317

Quote:

Go to Youtube and type something like "sailboat cruising" into the search box and you'll see quite a few channels about people cruising around the world. They are all making money from YT ads, ads on their blogs as well as offering premium content to those that pay a little on a monthly basis. They create and edit their videos while sailing and upload them later when they are in port.
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 12:02   #1318

Boat: Vancouver 27

I'm wrapping up an extended cruise of the bahamas, having been through almost all the islands near to far. Even in most of the really remote islands, I've been able to find a decent cell-based data connection. And if you get an amplifier like the wirie pro onboard you could have an almost unbroken connection all the way through.

A low cost sat-based delorme texting device also couples well for at least some communication if internet is not available.

Just don't work too hard! Lot's of better things to do with the time
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2016, 14:29   #1319

Quote:

Affiliate marketing is a business with a strong degree of flexibility, and you don't need to be on all the time. You can work in chunks, say a few weeks on, and a few weeks off depending on how good the next port connection is expected to be. Alternatively you can hire a good virtual assistant or friend of yours to maintain things a few hours per week whilst you're away.
WorkWithJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:44   #1320

so you actually do SFA
seagull147 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle