Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2016, 15:43   #1

Making a living doing gelcoat repair while cruising the Carribean

Hello all, This is my first post here and I'm excited to be doing my research, for a potential upcoming voyage.
I currently own a fiberglass repair business in Florida, and I'm a professional at color matching and blending gelcoat. I do repairs of all types, and even build custom boats, and boat parts. My fiancé and I are discussing the option of buying a Trawler and cruising the Carribean, before having children. I plan to buy the boat in cash, but will need ton have a way to earn some revenue while traveling. How likely is it that I would be able to find small bits of work fixing chips and dings, while in the Carribean and Virgin Islands? I know there can be hesitance of outsiders, and work visa issues etc. Just wondering from those with experience how easy it would be to roll up and start talking to the locals, and find a bit of honest work?
Thanks in advance!
nickireson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 16:05   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Making a living doing gelcoat repair while cruising the Carribean

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, nick.
Sorry, I wouldn't expect to earn much.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 16:08   #3

You won't need work permits to work in USVI. You might check with Gold Coast Yachts on St. Croix, or talk with Mike Sheen at Independent Boat Yard St.Thomas. Mike has a shop there and is slowing down some. As far as the rest of the islands, it would be hit and miss, but just these two islands would keep you interested for a few years with plenty of new cruising adventures while you get a feel for island life.. It's not for everyone ya know..If one has good work ethic, you can earn a living down here. Good luck.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 16:12   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

That's probably one of the more sellable skills to earn some beer money, especially if you have a good range of materials on hand.

But don't expect to make a liveable income out of it
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 16:21   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

It's all going to be in how you market yourself, which is a challenge when you're moving from place to place. Find a way to get the word out that's not overbearing or intrusive and you'll probably get work wherever you are.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 17:32   #6

Yeah.. You can't make a living while cruising g the Caribbean.. Maybe beer money or a few bucks here and there depending on your skill set.. I know a guy that has been in the Caribbean travelling with his wife that did Desalination and wastewater in the States. Got tired of it, sold everything and was stupid enough to buy a boat and go cruising thinking he could make a living down here. He and his wife have been making beer money for the past 18 years on any island that they choose that has a resort on it, but he's only scratching out 83,000 US a year.. Yep.. Just beer money. That's all you can make cruising the Caribbean..
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2016, 20:20   #7

Boat: Currently in between

No way I could scrape by on $83K a year! Well, wait a minute, if I got rid of my wife..
Old 11-12-2016, 01:17   #8

Thanks everyone. By "living" i just meant enough to feed the beast. Beer money, food and fuel money. I figure maybe not all gelcoat but doing handy work and whatever is around if it seems interesting. The trip will be mostly funded by savings I'm sure but its always nice to top off the ole' kitty.
nickireson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 03:56   #9

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
Yeah.. You can't make a living while cruising g the Caribbean.. Maybe beer money or a few bucks here and there depending on your skill set.. I know a guy that has been in the Caribbean travelling with his wife that did Desalination and wastewater in the States. Got tired of it, sold everything and was stupid enough to buy a boat and go cruising thinking he could make a living down here. He and his wife have been making beer money for the past 18 years on any island that they choose that has a resort on it, but he's only scratching out 83,000 US a year.. Yep.. Just beer money. That's all you can make cruising the Caribbean..
I need to talk to that guy!
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 04:38   #10

You probably already know this, but if you're looking at cruising here on a trawler, look at your tanka get needs when buying a boat. It is easier to buy diesel in some places than others. Not all islands have a fuel dock. You don't want to be stuck making 20 trips in the dinghy with 10 gallons of fuel per trip.

Regarding working, gel coat repairs might be hard to do as a true cruiser. But if you're willing to stop for a longer period at places you can find work, that may work out better. The issue is most boat yards here are very keen to extract money for outside contractors. They do their best to price them out and keep the work with the boatyard or their approved contractors that are set up on site.

General handy work might be easier to secure.

Of course as you noted there are the work permit issues. With the low employment down here, most of the islands are eager to enforce this. I know somebody who ended up in Sint Maarten jail for a month until he figured out who needed a payoff for his release. That is at a Dutch island, I would imagine the independent islands may be worse, as they are generally poorer (so more desperate to protect the few jobs) and more corrupt (so likely a worse jail and bigger bribe to avoid years in jail).

My point is, definitely do your homework on work permits, or be very careful about what kind of jobs you tackle and where. I wouldn't go near a boatyard without a work permit if I were you. My friend in Sint Maarten had an online job that he did from his boat and they still grabbed him.
jrau18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 06:04   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

If you are an absolute expert in gell coat repairs, an exceptionally talented colour matcher, and a good worker, then there's a good chance of getting work.

But when you say you want to cover fuel for a trawler you maybe won't be cruising much.

The 83,000 of an earlier post looked like a typo of $3,000.

I would call or email Thomas at Custom Fit Marine St Martin and see if there's a job and work ticket difficulties.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:40   #12

Boat: Passport 40

I find it amazing how the average american complains heavily about illegal immigration, but then is willing to go anywhere and everywhere in the world and expect to be able to work wherever he wants. It's kind of a funny double standard, ain't it?

And it is not about "laws". Laws are the same everywhere in the world. If you are not a legal resident, you cannot and should not work. Period. Or, let's make it fair for everyone, everywhere. The double standard just kills me.
gaucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:03   #13

Boat: Hunter Cherubini 27

I find it amazing how quick people jump on the "Damn Americans" wagon. It seems the most of the world. i.e. the EU, is bitching about immigration these days. yea we should rid ourselves of double standards.
Dayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 09:07   #14

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaucho View Post
I find it amazing how the average american complains heavily about illegal immigration, but then is willing to go anywhere and everywhere in the world and expect to be able to work wherever he wants. It's kind of a funny double standard, ain't it?

And it is not about "laws". Laws are the same everywhere in the world. If you are not a legal resident, you cannot and should not work. Period. Or, let's make it fair for everyone, everywhere. The double standard just kills me.
I agree with the above, altho I do need to make some income at times, Which I usually do in out of the way areas, where there are people needing work but don't have a trade. I teach them a trade, whilst working on someones somethin' and take half the money. I've taught many young and old people how to fix and build stuff. They intern learn a skill that they can make a living with.

One man in the bahamas now knows how to lay block, an other young man in guatamala now knows how to repair outboard engines, a woman in the DR now has a business sewing marine canvas. The authorities don't bother me and even pass work my way.

If you are trying to give to what ever community that you are in you will get what you need......without taking. we are all just one human family, after all. there are those that only think of them selves and I have been accosted by them at times, but as a whole life has been grand and continues to be grand with this formula

PEACE LUV & HAPPINESS
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 10:45   #15

Boat: Boatless

While there are certainly reimbursable skills that is not how things generally work in the cruising community...

My friends have spent many hours working on my boat for free...However, they also use my home in Miami if they need a place to stay. I am a doctor they know I have a floating pharmacy on board and they can get medical advice and medications for free.

I have willingly give medical care without the thought of charging...I have organized three medical evacutions, treated everything from a chest infection to the clap and done 5 scuba dive medicals.

I have seen three dinghies go out and tow a broken down boat, will you be paying them commercial rates when you need help!

Good luck but I doubt you will earn enough to fuel a trawler.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, gelcoat, rib