Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2016, 12:34   #1

Boat: Custom Roberts 65' Ketch (Sold it)
Mindsets

Boat Owners
Have I stepped out of reality trying to find partner(s) to buy a $150,000 USD used multihull?? Yes, I have read most of the threads on CF on “Partners Wanted” and all have valid points but is this quest I am on just too much of a risk for people even with due diligence on everyone’s part? OR am I just dreaming of something that’s not going to happen?
Thanks for any opinions on my delima.
Rockyscience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 14:31   #2

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Re: Mindsets

Everybody has a different reality, but I can't conceive of going halves on a $150,000 boat with a complete stranger.
Old 11-02-2016, 16:03   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Agree, have considered boat partnerships, but never done it. Would have to be someone I knew very well and who was very competent.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 16:15   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
Everybody has a different reality, but I can't conceive of going halves on a $150,000 boat with a complete stranger.
I'd go halves with you... but not with any other of the nutcases on this forum!

MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 16:21   #5

Boat: Looking

While browsing craigslist I have noticed a few of "partners wanted" you might take a look there.
Back when I used to go fast, I'm #11
https://youtu.be/_Y1cnZcGmFY
Udacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 16:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockyscience View Post
Boat Owners
Have I stepped out of reality trying to find partner(s) to buy a $150,000 USD used multihull?? Yes, I have read most of the threads on CF on “Partners Wanted” and all have valid points but is this quest I am on just too much of a risk for people even with due diligence on everyone’s part? OR am I just dreaming of something that’s not going to happen?
Thanks for any opinions on my delima.
A boat partnership has been on my mind for a few months, I think the key is the partners needs and wants have to compliment each other. Most people would think a partnership would be to buy a better boat than they could afford but in my case that is not necessarily so, I would want partners to limit the cost of storing the boat when I'm not on it. It seems very expensive to lease a comfortable 42 foot catamaran for 2 to 4 months a year, It doesn't seem very practical in my opinion. It is also very expensive to store a 42 foot catamaran for 8 months a year of non use especially if desired periods of use are 30 to 45 days with a couple months of non use in-between. I think if 2 to 4 people formed a LLC. and agreed to well thought out terms with regards to partnerships it could work. I think it would be important to have a home port at a full service marina that can provide cleaning and maintenance regardless of cost to avoid blaming previous users for leaving the boat dirty, broken, not ready to sail etc. The biggest drawback that I envision is not having the boat personalized with ones own decor, furnishing, bedding, kitchen utensils etc. It would seem like chartering a bare boat. All partners need to agree to detailed terms if a partner wants out or can't meet terms of the partnership. I think it could work. Annual maintenance, slip storage, haul outs, hard storage, boat cleaning and maintenance and initial purchase price all divided by 3 or 4 partners sounds pretty good if I still get the usage I want. Um--- there could be some problems also.
Iaangus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 17:46   #7

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

Lmao! If I succeed in getting to your end of the water we'll have to invest in going halves on a bar bill.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

You crack us all up MarkJ, take you for a partner any time ( including bar bill)!!
Old 12-02-2016, 09:34   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I understand you position FSMIKE Thanks.
Old 12-02-2016, 09:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iaangus View Post
A boat partnership has been on my mind for a few months, I think the key is the partners needs and wants have to compliment each other. Most people would think a partnership would be to buy a better boat than they could afford but in my case that is not necessarily so, I would want partners to limit the cost of storing the boat when I'm not on it. It seems very expensive to lease a comfortable 42 foot catamaran for 2 to 4 months a year, It doesn't seem very practical in my opinion. It is also very expensive to store a 42 foot catamaran for 8 months a year of non use especially if desired periods of use are 30 to 45 days with a couple months of non use in-between. I think if 2 to 4 people formed a LLC. and agreed to well thought out terms with regards to partnerships it could work. I think it would be important to have a home port at a full service marina that can provide cleaning and maintenance regardless of cost to avoid blaming previous users for leaving the boat dirty, broken, not ready to sail etc. The biggest drawback that I envision is not having the boat personalized with ones own decor, furnishing, bedding, kitchen utensils etc. It would seem like chartering a bare boat. All partners need to agree to detailed terms if a partner wants out or can't meet terms of the partnership. I think it could work. Annual maintenance, slip storage, haul outs, hard storage, boat cleaning and maintenance and initial purchase price all divided by 3 or 4 partners sounds pretty good if I still get the usage I want. Um--- there could be some problems also.
IAANGUS, Thanks for that reply.. I feel the same way you do an LLC is a good way to go at it.. I have "Skippered" several vessels and sometimes the crew was not the best of company and I did not trust their skills much. As for decor I would let you dress it as you wish and use it when you want to (if not pre-scheduled) There are many details to hammer out but it is doable. I am retired now and would be overseeing anything done to it as well as having it seaworthy for the others and maybe deliver it to where they wish to use it for their period of time if they wish. And yes, there are always problems to overcome.
Old 12-02-2016, 11:13   #11

FYI Mates the catamaran I am talking about is a well cared for 48 Ft. Simpson design built in 1989 by Orin Byrd.