Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2017, 13:27   #61

Boat: Dufour 385
Re: Most important thing to a new boat owner?

All,

Thanks to everyone that took the time to post a reply. I learned some good stuff.

Sadly, the boat failed survey. 1500 bucks out the window, but at least I did not buy the wrong boat.

I won't be monitoring this thread anymore and it will take a bit to heal that part of my heart lost. She looked awesome! But she wasn't for me.

"But it's midnight, and it's all right, cause I got two more bottles of wine."

Be safe, everyone,

Bob
Bunnellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 13:43   #62

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnellr View Post
All,

Sadly, the boat failed survey. 1500 bucks out the window, but at least I did not buy the wrong boat.

I'd be interested to know what missed your eye that the surveyor picked up.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 14:42   #63

First? Teach yourself all about your boat's systems from stem to stern. Mechanical, plumbing, water, waste, propane, electrical, navigation, tankage, communication, safety, rigging, anchoring equip, steering, autopilot, instruments, engine, trans, prop gland etc. And by "learn" I mean know them inside and out. How they work, what wears out, how to maintain/repair/replace, how to jury rig, what tools and spare items are necessary and with enough certainty to be able to repair as needed, hove to, alone, in 10' seas while holding a flashlight in your teeth. Once there, you will feel confident in your boat and in yourself as a man at sea.
sandiegoskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 18:13   #64

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Unsubscribe
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 05:22   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunnellr View Post
Hello, Friends,

(I am an American, and if the reference to Jim Nance doesn't work, I apologize. I've not posted before, but I have read a lot of posts, garnering good info. Hence the greeting.)

I am buying an ex-charter (2006 Hanse 400E) in Palma (de Mallorca), current French flag. Full survey will be done in two days. I am in the process of becoming resident in Italy. My wife is British. Current plan is to register in Gibraltar, because we can. Then move the boat to Siracusa, Sicily over an indeterminate time along Spanish, French and Italian coasts.

Question for all if you have the time: What are the things I should most worry about as a new boat owner? Please pick one and let me know. If you have time to pick two, grazie mille!

Bob

First thing review the surveyors report. Second spend 72 hours on board. Tied up to the wharf by preference. Eat shower drink etc see how she works. Then go for a couple of days sail.
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, import