Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2008, 09:27   #16

Boat: East Orient 32
Sailorgal, what a great idea. How do you find out whether the company is above board? What if you do the work and they don't pay you? I checked the website for working moms - it's still buyer beware though, isn't it? Or should I say, worker beware. Are you willing to share the link for the company you are working for?
seagypsywoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 16:10   #17

Boat: 48' Hi Star
Lightbulb

Sorry I haven't responded sooner. This website has loads of information for transcriptionists.
Transcription Forum - Index

There is a folder for "companies that hire GT or LT" (General or Legal transcription) All of the companies listed there are legit. There is information on how to get started doing this type of work. It's a great bunch of people too.
The transcription company I work for:

Tigerfish Transcription

I'll probably apply to a few more. Depending on the company, they either email you with available files, or in some cases you get on their website and download the file you want to work on.

You won't get rich doing this, but if you're spending time at a place with good internet possibilities, why not make a few extra freedom chips to help the cruising kitty along. Can't spend all your time drinking MaiTai's and sunbathing, can you??
sailorgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 16:14   #18

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
Can't spend all you time drinking MaiTai's and sunbathing, can you??
I could if you were my sailor gal .
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 16:22   #19

HaHa!

Sorry, I'm already spoken for. But if we're ever in the same anchorage, I'll take a break from my typing and make everyone a round of MaiTai's.

You'll have to bring your own sunblock.

Cheers!
Old 08-03-2008, 20:22   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Sailorgal, thanks for the references. For some reason my Gen-You-Whine certified card carrying cynic and Honoray Missourian BS detector tells me that you are probably not shilling for one of the many work-at-home scams. Although, I've been known to be wrong before.[g]

There IS legitimate "work from home" work out there, the problem is finding any pointers to it among the sea of spam for "Make a thousand dollars after dinner if you own a computer!" Certainly worth checking out.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 09:59   #21

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorgal View Post
Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:01   #22
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
There is also Elance - Outsourcing to freelance programmers, web & logo designers, copywriters, illustrators and consultants | Elance which appears to be a legit site. No fees to use it, they take a percentage. All types of transcription, web research, web design, etc. I have signed up but haven't done anything through it, yet.
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 11:33   #23

Yes, Elance is legit. There is also a site called Guru Guru.com – Find freelancers at the world’s largest online service marketplace. for freelancers.
The problems with Elance (and maybe Guru too) at least for transcription work is that you bid on a project. Usually the lowest bid get the job, and if you look at the bidders, most are offshore companies that literally place bids that are so low that it's not worth trying to compete. Of course the people who hire those low bidders get what they pay for. Transcription work is not easy especially if you are not a native English speaker.

Other areas like freelance writing, etc. may be more promising on those websites.
I'd be interested in trying freelance editing, especially science editing. I'll have to see if I can find anything on that.

It all boils down to finding something you can do with an internet connection from your boat.

Cheers
Old 09-03-2008, 18:55   #24

Boat: Ensenada 20
How feasible is satellite access internet from a sailboat??

I follow a couple of blogs of on land rec. vehicle satellite internet users, and wondered how well it would work from the boat.

If that would work it would make sailorgal's idea even better.
Lightfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 21:10   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Damned expensive for a stabilized system that can be used while under weigh. For a portable system as used by RVs and homes, maybe $1000 (and up) to start and under $100/month for entry level systems. But those CANNOT be used while there is any motion, and they must be set up and retargeted every time you change positions. Three grand will buy you a box that positions itself in under an hour, every time you deploy it. Assuming you are within the satellite's footprint. Need a bigger footprint? You're back to commercial systems and prices.

Still way cheaper than paying $6/minute for "high seas radio" or conventional long distance just 20 years ago.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2008, 03:55   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Internet Solutions for Marine Applications:
KVH's Marine Internet Solutions

KVH White Papers: KVH White Papers

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 11:03   #27

This is a great price on Dragon if you think you may work.
http://dealnews.com/lw/artclick.html?2,217468,586615
hatteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 12:21   #28

Boat: HiStar, Sundeck, 48 feet--
hey---waitaminute--you said you were waiting on a boat--
BUT wasn't that you--typing on a laptop--while beating into 20 knt, gusts on a ComPac 19--
anyway---

Great Idea--for work in motion--
Ah, the Sea..." Emily D.
LexLocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 14:10   #29

Hey Lex--
Yes, that was me on Santa Rosa Sound in a Com-Pac 19. It's a little small for "cruising" but sure is fun to sail.

Still waiting to find the right cruising cat so I can pack up my laptop to earn $$ and cruise.

Internet connectivity is only improving with time, so things are looking up.

Cheers
Old 01-06-2008, 21:24   #30

Great idea, sailorgal. Thanks for sharing. We are planning to cruise full time in the future and have been thinking about how to make money along the way. It's inspiring to hear about your plan!
Compass Rose is offline   Reply With Quote