Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 03:50   #31

Boat: Hunter, hydro,28ft -FranBri
Send a message via Skype™ to frankdeegan
Yo Iris,
Have you any contacts in that industry I might give it a go on a slow day.
Frank
Old 11-07-2008, 04:53   #32

Boat: 48' Hi Star
Hi Frank
Here is a link to a website/forum. There is a lot of information on there on what skills, equipment, etc. you need and also information on companies that hire independent contractors.

Transcription Forum - Index

good luck!
Old 11-07-2008, 04:59   #33

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
Great Idea! If you invested in a decent wifi antenna, you could do this at anchor. We bought a low end (Less than $100) omnidirectional for our last cruise and it made a huge difference in our wifi reception (i.e. anchored across the harbor from a town). Next cruise we plan to upgrade to one that we don't have to re-aim each time the boat swings.

Even if you have to pay $5 or $10 a day to connect to someone's wifi while anchored, at least with an antenna you aren't locked into dockage fees.

Not sure where you are planning to cruise, but along the east coast, there are several companies offering wireless service in marine locations. Yacht Spots is one, and I think the cost is about $40/month.
YachtSpots - High Speed, Wireless, Internet for Boaters
For instance, you could anchor or moor at Fernandina Beach, sign up for Yachtspots for a week or a month, and with the assistance of your great antenna, work away. (Stuart might be another good option - but I have heard they are making changes).

And better yet, some towns have free wifi. Such as Oriental, NC.

In the Bahamas, there is cheap wifi available in George Town, and we were able to receive the signal at Hamburger Beach and Volleyball Beach. I think it was $15/week, but don't quote me on this. We skipped Little Harbour in the Abacos last cruise, but on a previous visit there was a similar situation.

I am sure there are higher tech solutions, but this has worked for us.

I'd be interested to know if you have actually been paid for your services yet.

Good luck!

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:19   #34

Boat: 48' Hi Star
Hi Entlie -- thanks for the great information. Internet technology is improving every day and there are some affordable options. The good thing is that part of the costs would be tax-deductible since they are business expenses.

I'm still land-locked for now, but I have been doing this type of work part-time (evenings and some weekends due to a full-time "real" job). I work for one company at the moment and have been earning enough to pay the rent on my cheap little apartment.

So, I know that I can make money doing this, but I'll never get rich. That's not the point though, is it. I point is to be able to top off the cruising kitty while underway.

I don't think I would want to work 8 hours a day, five days a week while cruising. Working 3 or 4 hours a day once or twice a week when I have internet access is all I'd probably be interested in. That would bring in about $400-$500 per month. Enough for food and beer!

The great thing is that this type of work is so flexible. If we get in a financial bind (let's say some expensive boat repairs) I could get busy and work more hours/days until I saved up some cash. Then I could relax and not work for a while if I wanted to.
Old 15-07-2008, 03:28   #35

Beside the fact that the internet connection might become an issue, it sounds interesting. How do you set up the contact with the companies?