Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2017, 13:15   #1

Need to know more about charter type business's

Hi All ,
Looking for advise. I have a boatworks shop on fresh water. I have this feeling it is time to cut free and make a move to the coast and start my bucket list.
While pondering on bringing a few sailboats/yachts we have retrofitted to coast and start some type of charter or lease business to aid me in retiring.
I thought I would bring this question up to you.

I understand there are several business models to the charter type business to choose from. "Fun on the water with family" "Learn to sail" ASA Certified instructor. Leasing our boats for training and return visit hopefully. Or full crewed charters, 4hr sails captained, Elegant dinner on sunset sail etc.
I don't have time to explore my many options. I need some comparison, If you know or have had experience in any type charter venture, I sure would appreciate your knowledge on the subject.

In my geographical area. There are no bareboat rentals for 100 miles, 300k population just 20 min away. No Charters companies in this area other than possibly private.

I have never operated business in tourist areas. I have never considered what to do with my ladies when I move til now. Always thought I'd sale em if need be. Not to soon, till I here from you guys.
Thanks so much.
Dan t
dtrue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 13:36   #2

Need to know more about charter type business's

Sorry, but I have to say if you " don't have time to explore many options"
Don't bother with trying to run a business ! Never mind start the bucket list its 24/7

For a start , 'explore' the market , Firstly, I think I would question why " there are no bareboat rentals for 100 miles "

Look at how most charter/ rental companies work, they generally use other people's equity and convince them that it's a good way to have a boat and not have to look after it !
Sell them

There are loads of threads on charter ownership and putting a boat in charter on CF
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2017, 14:47   #3

Re: Need to know more about charter type business's

Hoofsmit
Thanks for speedy response. I agree I have been in business all my life, I simply want to know about the charter business experiences out there.
dtrue is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter