Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2013, 18:49   #1

New Boat Owner

I have no experience with sailing or boat ownership, but looking to acquire both quickly. I have been looking at a few different boats 30'-35'. It would be for myself and my girlfriend to sail around the Puget sound area to get experience. I was wondering if anyone could supply me with some literature titles, or the literature itself, on basic boat ownership and maintenance or beginner sailing guides. Whats the yearly maintenance fee for upkeep, repairs and docking for a 30' boat anyways? Any information on boat models or engine types would be greatly appreciated as well.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 19:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: New Boat Owner

Hi Ronin and welcome to the forum.

Impossible to say how much the yearly maintenance will be. Like asking how much monthly maintenance will be on a car. First it will depend on a several things:

How old is it and what kind of condition is it in?

Then, are you counting just regular stuff like change the oil, paint the bottom and such, or are you including the big things that may only come up after many years or even almost never. Again, like owning a car. Doesn't cost much for maintenance month to month until the transmission goes and you have to shell out $3,000. Or a house; doesn't cost much every month until you have to put on a new roof.

Boat maintenance monthly, if the boat is in reasonable shape isn't much but every 10-20 years you have to replace the standing rigging (the wires that hold up the mast). 36' boat would be about $3000 installed. Every 5-20 years (depends on how much sailing you do) you will have to replace the sails. 36' boat figure $2-$3000 each (main and jib).

Hope you won't have to replace the engine but just like a car every once in a while you are unlucky. New diesel for a 36' boat installed could run $10,000, plus transmission.

Docking fees vary a lot depending on the area and are charged by the foot. So bigger boats cost more. Don't know the west coast but NY and north figure $1000/month for all season or $100/night for a visitor. Pay a third of that in small towns in north FL or VA or NC or even TX.

Do a little research on this forum for previous discussions on this topic. It is one of the most frequently asked (and answered) so lots and lots of information already here.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 19:30   #3

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

Welcome to CF Ronin. Youre gonna love it here, cause these guys / gals know all the answers.
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 06:06   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Ronin.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2013, 07:39   #5

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35

Welcome!

I would recommend having Nigel Calders Boatowner's Mechanical and Electrical Manual aboard. This book is excellent in both content and organization. It is useful at an entry level through to an advanced level. My husband who is a mechanic uses it as a resource yet I, not a mechanic, can also easily pick it up and find what I need. We have one copy onboard and one at the house.

Good luck in finding your boat and getting out on the water.

Deborah
Old 19-03-2013, 07:42   #6

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now

I cant remember who gave this to me, but its very handy reference.
Compass Marine "How To" Articles Photo Gallery by Compass Marine at pbase.com
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote