Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2017, 14:15   #16

Boat: Tartan30
Re: New (Used) Boat transportation logistics

I will speak to this from the perspective of a "Delivery Skipper" because there are some parallel issues.
When doing a delivery EVERY BOAT needs to be approached with great suspicion. You have no idea how the boat has been maintained, what gear is available, or what kind of other problems are looming in your future. You learn to take a good look at ALL parts of the boat, talk to the Owner, sort out the BS, and then make an assessment about actually leaving the dock on a strange boat that belongs to someone else, and one they have possibly only owned for a few days so even THEY don't know.
I once had a couple of Doctors who were partners in a large wooden Chris Craft try to book me to deliver the yacht KNOWING it was not safe. They wanted it to sink, but they felt it would look better to the Insurance Company if it sunk while in the hands of a USCG Licensed Captain. Luckily a Friend of mine who was a Shipwright, and had seen the boat while she was on The Ways, warned me it was not safe, and I passed on the delivery. Someone else attempted to deliver it, it did sink, the Crew survived, and the Doctors were eventually convicted of insurance fraud.
Delivering a boat that "has issues" is not uncommon, but EVERYONE needs to be aware of the issues, and understand that there may be "will" be delays, and added expenses to deal with. It is also why I ALWAYS carry my OWN Safety Gear and Ditch Bag.....lol......Oh, and I am available!
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 15:11   #17

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

I've moved new (to me) boats myself, via delivery skipper, and by truck. Trucking was by far the quickest and least painful method. And, for the distance covered (Gulf Coast to Carolinas), it also turned out to be the most cost effective.

Do your homework and deal with an experienced, reputable trucker. With a bit of homework, they're easy to find.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 15:25   #18

Boat: Sabre 34

A good friend of mine is a truck driver/owner. A specialized trailer is needed which he of course doesn't have. So no savings here.
Alex_V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 07:52   #19

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Comparison, sailboat transport by truck = 60 miles per hour
Transport on water = average 4 to 6 mph (waiting on tides & bridges)

Engine problem on transport truck = not your problem
Engine problem on vessel = wait for TowBoat, find marina, pay transient dockage, find mechanic, find parts

If you have the time, roll the dice.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 19:56   #20

Boat: Catalina 36, MK2 #1897

Boat Transportation
Read my drama....Having moved two successfully, one un successfully- read in Catalina36 Association web site
https://www.catalina36.org/forum/gen...d-my-boat-us-2

Lots of great ideas here. Double insure your boat, meaning your trucker has a policy and you ALSO have your own policy purchased. You need to receive a copy of the truckers policy and have it checked by either a transportation professional or your own insurance agent. Why your own separate policy? Most truckers policies are bare minimum coverage and will only cover cost of boat invoice value, known as cartage or cartage value.
Tape everything, every fitting, with shrink wrap tape (1000 feet for about $10 in any hardware or home improvement center, then over wrapped with duct tape. All drawers out, empty and wrapped in blankets and over wrapped with shrink wrap tape. Preferably trailer has mast hangers on side of trailer. Use plenty of old carpet, cut in strips, shrink wrap taped and over wrapped with duct tape. All antennas off and inside boat wrapped in blankets. U haul has rental blankets and 1000 foot rolls of shrink wrap tape. Talk to the shipping and receiving marinas for recommendations on truckers they like. They might tell you who they have had bad experiences with and save you grief. If you have new boat manufacturers in your area, ask them for recommended truckers. Don’t ever hire a flat bed truck that hauls heavy equipment (read bull dozers, farm tractors) as the suspension on these trailers can shake every screw loose on your boat.
Best of luck.
Pgutierrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2018, 20:05   #21

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

If it has a cradle that may be a factor
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 05:50   #22

Boat: Catalina 36, MK2 #1897

My “crash36” was not transported on cradle. The trailer was I think one of the 1960’s generation purposely built yacht haul trailers. The cradle was hauled on same trailer, strapped at an angle in front of bow. The newer air ride suspension trailers are impressive units with multiple hydraulic arms actuated by remote control joy stick assembly. Make sure the keel is not in the air and is the primary weight bearing part of the boat, with arms supporting the hull with out excessive pressure.
Pgutierrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 08:47   #23

This thread is a year old.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, used boat