Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2022, 09:10   #1

Newbie Seeking Advice

Hello, Thank you very much for welcoming into the forum. I have joined with the purpose of learning, seeking advice, information, and pretty much anything that will help make wise decision.
About me: My name is Jon. Unfortunately I am not a boat owner, however, it has been my dream to become one and slowly working towards it. I am currently living in landlock Calgary, AB and looking forward to move to a coastal city within the next few years. I the meantime, I look forward for some advice.
I am in the hunt for a 30 to 40ft cruiser, ideally below 40 ft and greater than 30ft. My budget is $70K CAD (55K USD) . We are a young couple in our mid 30's (no kids) and the purpose is to do coastal trips and day trips in the British Columbia area and also some long distance coastal trips if doable down the road.
-I am on the edge of pulling the trigger on a 1995 33ft sea ray sundancer dual engine (fresh water and closed cooling) with 400 hrs or a 2001 29ft Four winns dual volvo engine (not closed cooling) with 600 hrs fresh water used only. I am factoring mooring, insurance, maintenance cost about 10% of cost per year approx. My intention during the first year or two of ownership to keep it as day trips or weekend trips so I can learn and familiarize with navigation, including taking lessons if available, before heading on longer multiday trips. I will have to keep it inland lake use while I still live in Alberta and then will ship towards the coast in BC. Since I work remotely, intention is to "live" in it for short sporadic periods of no more than 30 days for the time being. Looking forward than the road I am looking to take it on long distance coastal trips to Mexico.
- I understand there is no "one size fit all" answer however looking for some general advice for new ownership. Are my ideas of long distance (once experience is built up) a tad crazy ? is dual engine vs single engine besides maintenance and fuel recommended ? I am seeking to hopefully make a single purchase and avoid "upgrading".
I am seeking 30 to 40 ft mostly for flexibility of trailering if possible while maximizing living space.
-I have owned several smaller runabouts bowriders, sea ray and sea doo, and I think thats why I may be biased towards sea ray and I used to live in Cancun where I also owned several bow riders and worked in marinas in my teenage years. My wife and myself cant wait for our move to a coastal city and full fill this dream ! Any word of advice is welcome. Thank you very much.
JonGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 17:14   #2

Re: Newbie Seeking Advice

Hello Jon.

Most of us here are rag-wavers :-) For power boats you might like to go to our sister forum here:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ats-10046.html

The members there will have far better answers for you than we can have here.

Nevertheless, I think you should consider that for purposes of living aboard, there are power boats far more suitable than the SeaRay - of whatever size. You should also be aware that the waters of the west coast of North America including the west coast of Vancouver Island are among the most dangerous in the world, and a boat of the SeaRay kind is not a boat you can take there in safety. Nor is a 4 Winns. I would not myself contemplate taking a powerboat you can get for the budget you say you have down the coast of Washington! A sailboat, yes - a powerboat, no!

There are many people in this forum who have gone "where the scattered waters rave and the winds their revels keep". You might like to ask some questions concerning the practicalities of taking boats into such places.

The Searay is just fine for messing about in the Gulf Islands in weather as benign as we have it today. Tho' expensive of course. I just came off my own boat, a 30-foot sailboat. But last night I spoke to a gentleman in a most delightful traditional power cruiser. Clearly a man who is well off. Single engine job as many such boats are. He told me that he keeps he speed down to about 7 knots, because beyond that, the fuel consumption, and therefore the expense, becomes "ridiculous" 7 knot is MY speed and I burn a mere two litres an hour whereas he burns 30!

So as I said, you might like to ask some questions about the practicality of what you are intending to do. Remember also that moorage anywhere in the southern end of the Straits of Georgia is EXTREMELY difficult to find!

All the best to you.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2022, 18:11   #3

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Newbie Seeking Advice

Welcome to the forum from another Albertan. My land life was spent in spruce grove alberta( better part of 40 years) we have been living aboard since fall of 2019.
The Vancouver coast is a fantastic place to explore and I highly recomend it. Especially the gulf islands.
The inland lakes near Calgary, and most of alberta, won't support a 30-40 foot boat for much realistic use. Plus shipping it in, then shipping it to the coast will be a big expense. I would recomend a little smaller, easy to trailer and launch for while you are in alberta. Save the money towards getting ocean side quicker.
If the plan is to moor it in the Vancouver or gulf islands, using it as you are able to get away, then take a look at the fixed costs. Dockage, if available, is expensive. If you are gone from the boat for a month, the first couple days of holiday will be spent cleaning and fixing. I would wager that charter is easier and probably more cost effective. Plus it let's you try several different boats and hire a captain by the hour or the day if you want. Coopers boating is a great place, I used them twice.
I realize this all sounds very negative. I don't mean it to. Maybe it's because our boat is on the hard in Florida heat, with another week of projects before we get back in the water[emoji41]
Regardless, I am just trying to show you some options to help you get to the goal.
Have fun, and enjoy the process. A day on the water is always better than a day in the office!
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, newbie