Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2019, 13:56   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: newer and smaller or older and bigger?

If you buy a boat in the Med, built to EU standards, that's going to be a harder sell in or near the US, where we have a 110VAC electric system not the 240VAC of the EU.

And with any used boat more than ten years old, you may be looking at a fast $10,000+ to replace the standing rigging (20 years old at the most) and the sails, even if they are only five years old. Some generally well-accepted models (Beneteau) use brass thru-hulls, which are ready to fail and be replaced with proper bronze at five years as well.

All of which can make long-distance boat shopping difficult, there's almost always something the broker/seller aren't mentioning in their ads. You might want to start by spending a month, at least two weeks, looking at prospects after you've contacted the brokers, and might need another two weeks to schedule one or more surveys (each costing money) before going to contract. If you're crazy lucky and can wrap that all up in a month, you still need to do a shakedown sail for 48 hours, find out what else needs work, and then often arrange for a haul-out and repairs, which may need a week or even two to obtain parts--much longer if you need sails to be made.

Not that it can't be done, not that you can't just show up, buy a boat, and sail away. But more often than not, it will take time to find a boat, find out what it needs, and get it all in shape BEFORE you start your cruising, only to find that you've got to stop in whatever quaint spot you are in when things do break down.

Depends a lot on how lucky you are. In any case, I'd figure getting a boat and getting it prepped will consume an easy month of time, if you want it reliable from the start.

And look into international currency conversion and payment in advance--getting your money out of Oz and into an EU bank can add several days, or fees, to the process.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 14:00   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: newer and smaller or older and bigger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
The traditional route is to beat your way south, towards the Cap Verdes until you pick up the trades. Then turn west. Stopping in the Cap Verdes does not change this. It is easy to continue angling south until the winds settle down a bit and then you must angle north if you want to make your landfall in the Caribbean instead on South America.
Actually the tradition is beat N to the Canaries from Cap Verde.. from the Canaries you run S down to Cap Verde as the prevailing winds swing gradually from N round to NE and E.. the Cap Verdes lie in the same latitudes as the Windward Islands.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190530_220151_LL.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	409.5 KB
ID:	192990   Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20190530_220117.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	212.4 KB
ID:	192991  

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 16:24   #18

Boat: Volkscruiser

What about buying a yacht in Australia, then sailing for a year and storing her where you finally stop? It sounds like you are in a rush so surely you could do Sydney to Caribbean in a year?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 21:57   #19

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Actually the tradition is beat N to the Canaries from Cap Verde.. from the Canaries you run S down to Cap Verde as the prevailing winds swing gradually from N round to NE and E.. the Cap Verdes lie in the same latitudes as the Windward Islands.
Huh??? If you are coming from the Med how are you beating north to the Canaries from the Cap Verdes?
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 22:54   #20

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

This is a tough one because you only have a year (for now hopefully). You don't wanna waste three months of it refitting. All depends on the previous owner of the boat you buy.... We bought a 1991 boat from a meticulous swiss guy who was prepping to go around the world with her, so she really was turn-key. Of course we then spent 5 months refitting her If you buy a newer boat of the popular brands, good odds it could be a charter boat, and those guys sell up when everything is ready to be replaced. So you can get a great price but will need a big refit of most systems. I'd vote for an older boat very well maintained by an owner-captain who is trading up. Fiberglass lasts forever, and all systems of all boats get replaced every decade or so. A 30 year old boat might be much "newer" than a 10 year old ex charter just retiring...
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 23:49   #21

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Good plan starting in the Med. boats are cheap there.. I bought our boat in Croatia but all charter companies list there boats in October and have to be gone by April when the new boat arrives.. So contact the owners asking 90e in October,by March it’s down to 60e for a 45’ 8 yr old boat with all systems go.
Do all the negotiations October to March then pick one.
The Med is easy cruising and services are available everywhere cheap.
Enjoy
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2019, 23:56   #22

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Regardless of what age the boat is, you will likely replace electronics and add your wish list,so if it’s new, 8yrs old or 30yrs old it’s the same punch list.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 00:47   #23

Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSadler View Post
Regardless of what age the boat is, you will likely replace electronics and add your wish list,so if it’s new, 8yrs old or 30yrs old it’s the same punch list.
This is what I was talking about tho....our 26 year old boat had 2 year old rigging, 3 year old sails, brand new electronics, etc. So no, our refit was an engine repower which we knew about, and custom things like outboard crane and hydraulic galley table to convert to movie couch, etc... fun, but not necessary.

An ex charter boat, yes replace lots because the business model often means buying nice shiny new boats, chartering for 6-10 years, then selling them before they have to do a major systems upgrade. As I understood it when looking for a boat to buy a few years back at any rate....no charter company sale was going to refit the boat before selling her that I found.
Sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 02:07   #24

Thanks Pete I appreciate the knowledge.

I have spent quite a bit of time offshore, more of it on warships but still crossed the Tasman and have done the Sydney to Hobart race as well. Haha thanks for the sextant recommendation but I have learnt and practice that for work so have no desire to plan for world of gps denial in my own time.

I thought a water make would be important to limit the time in the marinas though.
mabai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 02:14   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinR View Post
There are better boats to be found in the US for a given price. And New England is a beautiful cruising area.
We found the exact opposite to be true. Croatia boat prices are cheap and there’s really no comparison between the Med and New England. New England was awful, foggy, cold and expensive... and so was the food.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 02:21   #26

I am in the Australian navy and have sailed all around Australia, south east Asia, south west pacific, central pacific so I am looking to explore new fields that’s I dont get to see at work. I understand it’s a different way of travelling but I think you’ll understand my position.

Also I didn’t think I could get to the Caribbean and back in a year and actually have adequate time to enjoy it there
mabai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 02:22   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabai View Post
I thought a water make would be important to limit the time in the marinas though.
If you are only buying a boat for a year and one crossing then its a lot of money to spend up front. It would be cheaper to buy water in the few locations you visit which charge and make use of free water when available.

Personally, I would bin the idea of crossing the Atlantic and spend more time in Europe, both the Med and Atlantic coasts. That simplifies things and means you spend more time shore side. Perhaps winter in the Canaries and then Cape Verdes or Azores in the Spring.

Makes me smile when you hear of Japanese tourists seeing England in 3 days then on to Europe for the remainder of the fortnight holiday.
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 05:39   #28
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Huh??? If you are coming from the Med how are you beating north to the Canaries from the Cap Verdes?
Guess I need to spell it out..
You said its a beat from the Canaries to Cap Verde.. in fact its running before prevailing winds.. all the way to the Caribe.. and as for hitting S America.. possible if your a crap helmsman but winds and currents will be favourable and you can chose Trinidad/Tobago, Grenada or anywhere along the chain to make landfall then work N.. if you want to cruise the islands its the best way to cross and see them all with favourable winds.
The only beating one does is if going the other way

Old 31-05-2019, 08:53   #29

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Guess I need to spell it out..
You said its a beat from the Canaries to Cap Verde.. in fact its running before prevailing winds.. all the way to the Caribe.. and as for hitting S America.. possible if your a crap helmsman but winds and currents will be favourable and you can chose Trinidad/Tobago, Grenada or anywhere along the chain to make landfall then work N.. if you want to cruise the islands its the best way to cross and see them all with favourable winds.
The only beating one does is if going the other way
I have done this trip at least five times and it has always been a beat from the Canaries south. How many times have you done this trip?
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2019, 09:05   #30
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I have done this trip at least five times and it has always been a beat from the Canaries south. How many times have you done this trip?
Yet you keep doing it..
Maybe you should wait for the winds.