Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2020, 20:14   #16

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu
Re: Owner selling boat guidelines

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilenart View Post
But show the buyer the boat faults before the survey? lol

Ilenart
NOT discussing all known faults would be a serious mistake. Any faults you disclose to the purchaser BEFORE the contract is signed are automatically included in the purchase price.

Any significant undisclosed faults found DURING the survey or sea trial are going to be discounted from the purchase price. If there were faults found during a survey that were (or should have been) obvious to the seller and were not previously disclosed, it would have me seriously questioning if I want to make a major purchase from that lying SOB...

And yes, you would have lied to me, because before I put in the offer, I would have asked, "Is there anything wrong with the boat I should know about."

Of course you are free to conduct your business any way you want...
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 20:55   #17

Boat: Volkscruiser

Exactly SV Harmonie, and it can get real ugly between the buyer and seller when the seller is caught out telling lies. I remember one sea trial we did and I found some major faults while out on the water. It turned into such a shouting match that the seller dropped us at the nearest public dock and we caught a taxi back to the marina! Needless to say that sale did not go ahead.

Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2020, 21:06   #18

Boat: Amel 53, Super Maramu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilenart View Post
suggest you read my detailed reply.
I did read it, and was unimpressed. Like I said, you are free to conduct your business deals anyway you think best. It’s just not the way I do business.

I wonder, how EXACTLY would you answer the buyer—about to put a deposit down—who asks, “Is there anything wrong with the boat I should know about?”
SVHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 00:30   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
NOT discussing all known faults would be a serious mistake. Any faults you disclose to the purchaser BEFORE the contract is signed are automatically included in the purchase price.

This ^^ plus...

All human interactions require some degree trust and generally go better and more pleasant when the trust quotient is high.

If the seller neglects to mention faults that are rather obvious after a serious viewing, I have to assume the seller is likely to be also lying about any good points he may have mentioned or is incompetent to know enough about the condition of the boat. IMO, he does a disservice to himself!

I have only sold three boats, each time with a full disclosure of the vessel's condition (good and bad) as well as a list upcoming maintenance items that I would have performed if the boat wasn't being sold. Each time the buyer's survey pretty well matched my assessment of the boat's condition. Each time the buyer completed the deal immediately after survey / sea trial without any further price negotiation.

YMMV...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2020, 16:51   #20

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVHarmonie View Post
I did read it, and was unimpressed. Like I said, you are free to conduct your business deals anyway you think best. It’s just not the way I do business.

I wonder, how EXACTLY would you answer the buyer—about to put a deposit down—who asks, “Is there anything wrong with the boat I should know about?”
To your theoretical question, my theoretical answer would be that I was happy to take the vessel on x y and z voyages and have no problem doing the same voyages tomorrow.

However your question would only arise in never never land. The reality is I have NEVER met the buyers of the last 3 vessels I have sold, and only met one seller in the last 20 years. And I would’nt bother to ask a question like that. Instead I would work out the state of the vessel myself and make an offer, budgeting for repairs or upgrades.

Ilenart
ilenart is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat