Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2013, 20:12   #16

Re: Owning a sailing boat in Manhattan

The trouble with New York Harbor is that it's expensive and there's few places to go. I kept my J24 at a marina on City Island in the Bronx. But the best place is out on the east end of Long Island. I had my boats out there for years. My best choice? Three Mile Harbor Marina in East Hampton. Second choice would be Sag Harbor. From the east end you can easily sail to Block Island, Newport, Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. This makes for a truly wonderful cruising ground. Also fun for day sails or overnighters in Gardner's Bay, where it gets windy but the seas don't develop more than a mild chop. You can also get out there from Manhattan by bus or train if you don't have a car.
Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 20:22   #17

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Happy new year to All!
Invictus welcome to CF and New York.
Great Neck, 1st town outside NYC on Long Islands north shore
right on the sound directly south of City Island. (22 minute express ride on LIRR)
Steppingstone Park and Marina great setting.
Park district allows non residents for small premium.
Cost for mooring with extensive launch hours for a 30 fter would
be $14 per ft. (plus $500. for non resident) = $920.
You are minutes away from City Island (and a lot more protected) less than 2 miles from Manhasset Bay, each have
wonderful facilities, restaurants, yacht clubs and yards for both wet and dry winter storage.
Have had friends from city sleep on boat and commute
back to ny a few days a week as launch starts at 5 a.m. for
fishermen most days.
Answer your question re annual operating costs, my 30 fter cost in the range of $5,000. annual including insurance, mooring, winter storage, spring commissioning, bottom cleaning.
If interested, come out I'll show you around marina/yards and area.
Best,
Hugo
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:46   #18

Boat: none yet :(

Thanks for all of your responses. It looks that I need to do a bit of more research based on your suggestions!
Cheers!
Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 12:55   #19

Invictus, any luck yet?
Laffangurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 14:07   #20

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 34

Invictus, I went through this last year when I purchased a boat in Florida. I wanted to bring it back to Manhattan but access and the short season made leaving the boat in Florida very appealing. Sure, I didn't have access to the boat on those perfect weekday afternoons that occasionally arise but I could fly to see her twice a month for the slip fee difference. Found myself splitting time in both locations equally over the past year. Have you considered other locations? From my home in the city, I can be at the boat door to door in three hours and use her all year.

Ironically, this is my last week in NY. I'll be fulltime starting Friday and fully cruising by April.
kmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:43   #21

Boat: Beneteau First 375
Re: Owning a Sailing Boat in Manhattan

I grew up sailing in Port Washington, have kept my 37' boat on City Island for last 7 years. This year I got a slip in Hudson Pointe Marina, just next to Liberty Landing. I love the long island sound cruising, but with the trip to the Bronx from Manhattan, even with a car it became a hassle. Also guests have a habit of not getting there at appointed times. I'm spending the cash on a slip this year to have near immediate access for me and my guests, daysailing in the relatively congested NY harbor, and a calm protected marina for evening dinners and overnights. It also allows easy access to the ocean, with potential for 3-4 day trips to fire island or further east. It really depends on what kind of sailing you want to do, accessibility and how much traveling you are ok with. If you just want to daysail with easy access, get a local mooring. If you want a weekend getaway get something you can sleep on comfortably and do the commute anywhere out east, plenty of train access. The other big difference is how much cleaner and beautiful the waters are east of Port Washington. I have checked out all the other NY Harbor options: moorings are very bumpy, and most other marinas are overpriced and get slammed around due to current and waves.
Mochson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:56   #22

Boat: none yet :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laffangurl View Post
Invictus, any luck yet?

Not really. (and sorry for the late reply).
There were very useful responses but given my schedule/lifestyle at the moment I am still trying to figure out what is the most efficient way to do this.
Invictus69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing