Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2012, 20:39   #1

Boat: Farr 44 Ocean Racer - Pit crew & backup helm.
Pacific Crossing Insurance

Currently investigating insurance coverage for a passage from St Martin to Port Vila in Vanuatu. The boat will be based in Vanuatu so will be under this flag.

Have run into a bit of a stalemate at this point as the brokers we have approached in Europe have an issue with the Vanuatu flag for some reason. They will cover the boat for St Martin to Panama but only if it is still under French Flag. Have not come across an Australian company or broker who would provide coverage.

Have got a quote from PANTAENIUS but they have some strange clauses for example the boat is not covered if S or N of 10 degrees due to hurricane (cyclone) risk which is fair enough but the longitude of the exclusion zone is between 90 & 160 degrees E which is no where near the track of the transit as this is predominantly the area north of Australia.

Be interested to know from anyone who has been down this track.

This is the way we work here for Australian interests moving from Caribbean to Australian waters, since Australian insurers do not deliver hurricane coverage, and French insurers are not interested to cover the trip from panama to Vanuatu.
The only one interested, but in my opinion not aware of the Vanuatu Insurance would be PANTAENIUS but at unreasonable amount of premium.
Ozbullwinkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2012, 21:14   #2

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Re: Pacific Crossing Insurance

My limited experience with Pantaenius is that they are quite willing to modify restrictions if one talks to them. Always have a 'back up plan' and be detailed about your passage and safety considerations. I was very concerned when I could not get into the USA on my ESTA visa as that cut our plan of being in Maine over the hurricane season. This meant either flying somewhere to get full visas or stay in the BVI for the season. We found a good dock for hurricane tie down, wrote to Pantaenius about our procedures in the event of a hurricane approaching. They gave some feed back ... we researched and modified our plan a bit ... they agreed to cover us as a result!
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:29   #3
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

At the risk of being slammed by "experts" on here have you tried Edward Williams (Northern Reef)? They have been subject to "trial by internet" on here but the owner of a yacht agency here has had 3 claims approved by them for his own trimaran but is currently having a bit of a battle over a rig loss claim, not a bad average really.
What will the boat be doing here, where based and most importantly of all, will you be joining the yacht club ;-). Look me up when you arrive.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:13   #4

Boat: Atkinson 14m, Touche

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
At the risk of being slammed by "experts" on here have you tried Edward Williams (Northern Reef)? They have been subject to "trial by internet" on here but the owner of a yacht agency here has had 3 claims approved by them for his own trimaran but is currently having a bit of a battle over a rig loss claim, not a bad average really.
What will the boat be doing here, where based and most importantly of all, will you be joining the yacht club ;-). Look me up when you arrive.
Amazed that anyone who has submitted a claim would have anything positive to say about this company.I have personal experience. If you are insured with this company consider yourself uninsured.
drob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 14:22   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
My limited experience with Pantaenius is that they are quite willing to modify restrictions if one talks to them. Always have a 'back up plan' and be detailed about your passage and safety considerations. I was very concerned when I could not get into the USA on my ESTA visa as that cut our plan of being in Maine over the hurricane season. This meant either flying somewhere to get full visas or stay in the BVI for the season. We found a good dock for hurricane tie down, wrote to Pantaenius about our procedures in the event of a hurricane approaching. They gave some feed back ... we researched and modified our plan a bit ... they agreed to cover us as a result!
The direct quote I got from Pantaenius when I inquired about insurance was:

Our minimums have recently changed to $1 Million and over.

This was for a new policy, so if you have an existent one, perhaps you are grandfathered (or have an boat worth more than $1M.

Considering how many have recommended them, I was surprised with the response.

Tags
insurance