Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2019, 10:29   #31

Re: Part time cruising... how to store the boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLucidMoose View Post
Hey everyone. Thanks for the responses. I feel like I am getting some very valuable information.

To address some of the topics that came up.
Trailering is not really an option for my personal scenario. I dont have a tow vehicle and I live in montana. I dont see it as a great option as I would have to invest a ton of money into a trailer, truck, place to store it etc...
again i would reiterate that I am on a budget and would look at a boat that is a fixer upper. I dont have a deep well of funds to draw from... I realize that cruising is not free but it seem possible.

It seems like storing on the hard every year would be the best option for me and it also seems cruising around the pacific side of mexico or the gulf side would make sense.

I love the idea of spending the first season learning, fitting, and adjusting the boat. This was in my plan so a location that is conducive to this end is what I am looking for. Looking for fun safe waters to lean in.
I would also try to avoid the most touristy of destinations.

Some have said that my asessment of $200-$300 a month is a little shy of the reality of storing on the hard. wondering if anyone can give me some real world numbers on what that might cost with haul out?

thanks so much everyone who has replied to this thread. I appreciate your welcoming attitude and not treating me like a dumb rookie.

you guys rock

-Will
Checkout Marina San Carlos(see links in my previous post). That would be perfect place for you to do as you describe your first winter with your fixer upper to keep costs down. Bot storing the boat and cost of doing any repairs you can't do yourself will be lower than most places. You will want to buy a boat either at or very close to where you want to keep her the first winter to keep costs down. For example Marina San Carlos is about a 5.5 hour drive from Tucson or you can try and find an inexpensive flight into Hermosillo. There are other options on the Sea of Cortez but with my limited experience San Carlos looks like the best.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 14:02   #32

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Your plan is definitely doable. We've known several people who intersperse periods of working with periods on the boat. Some store their boats on the hard, the recommendations here tell you of some of the possibilities. Keeping in a marina berth may be higher, but, for example, we were quoted $.24/ft/per day in a marina on Mexico's west coast, for the summer, which it seems like when your busy time for fighting fires would be.

You can prepare your boat for long term unattended, in-the-water, storage, however on-the-hard gives you less to worry about, although it is not worry free. Anytime you are away from your boat it is a source of concern, at least for us. We would never leave our boat on a mooring.

But don't underestimate the costs of boat ownership. Unplanned expenses will often be higher than the ones you can plan for.

Others will argue with our figure, but 10%-15% per year, of the value of the boat when it is fully fixed up, is a number we use. In other words, if you find a nice boat, ready to go, everything working, for $40,000, then you might figure on $4000 or more per year for maint and upkeep. Stuff breaks, bottom paint is expensive, You'll need sails, etc etc you will be surprised.
Old 12-08-2019, 17:05   #33

Boat: Privilege 42

You can trailer a boat without owning a tow vehicle. One possibility is to pay someone to launch your boat on your trailer with their truck, and store your boat and trailer on land a few miles away. Cheaper storage costs should cover cost of hiring tow vehicle. Plus, no chance of sinking and less worry about flooding inland than in boatyard.
daydreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 17:49   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by daydreamer View Post
You can trailer a boat without owning a tow vehicle. One possibility is to pay someone to launch your boat on your trailer with their truck, and store your boat and trailer on land a few miles away. Cheaper storage costs should cover cost of hiring tow vehicle. Plus, no chance of sinking and less worry about flooding inland than in boatyard.
I have looked at this aspect closely when thinking about having a boat that I move between SoCal and the Sea of Cortez, 6 months in SoCal, 6 months in San Carlos Nuevo Guaymas Sonora Mexico. It does not make sense cost wise, ignoring what you give up in performance and comfort to have a trailerable boat and the hassle of towing the boat behind your own vehicle, launching, retrieving putting the mast up and down, if yiu have to buy a trailer, and vehicle to tow as is the case for the OP.

My conclusion if you want to move the boat between the two locations is either sail the boat between the two or have two less expensive boats that you can be happy with but are less capable in difficult conditions.

It makes even less sense for the OP to have trailerable because he says he wants to live on the boat 6 months a year in the winter and store it the other 6 months.

As an example you can look at the price lists for Marina San Carlos by clicking on the links in my initial post in this thread. At Marina San Carlos the OP does not need his own trailer to store on the hard. There may be other places on the Sea of Cortez or in Mexico as good or better but San Carlos Marina is the best I could find with my limited experience / knowledge.

With what the parameters the OP has expressed Mexico is going to be his best bet including buying the boat close to where he wants to store it in Mexico to keep costs down including storage costs, and travel costs, not to mention having a comfortable winter climate.
Augi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 18:25   #35

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Definitely doable. Be very aware of the costs.

It's more expensive to stay on a boat part time as opposed to full time.
Travel
Haulouts
Storage/Marina fees
Paying for work that you can do, but don't have the time
Old 12-08-2019, 19:07   #36

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

You might take look at https://commutercruiser.com/part-tim...anywhere-cool/ . They go to different places.

We keep our boat in the water in New Bern, NC and have gone to the Bahamas for 5 or 6 months each of the last 12 years. We go to the same places. Irish Eyes to the Bahamas

Bill
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2019, 17:03   #37

Boat: Sea Ray Sundancer 270 1984 twin 5.7 L, Catalina 25 fixed keel, Hobie Cat, Hallett 19

What are you missing? A trailer. Make it aluminum if your going to be in or near the salt water. Get a good one that can handle the weight otherwise you will be spending lots of time and money maintaining it and worrying about tires and bearings every time you tow. Brings your cost of ownership WAY down and adds a travel dimension to your experience. As a business, you can rent a Tow vehicle from Enterprise if you don't have your own truck. I store my 270 sea Ray on a trailer for $120/mo and pay $15 to launch and $15 to retrieve. I'm 100 yards from the water. You can dry store at Powell cheap and there is launch service available. With almost 2000 miles of coastline and 186 miles long and many marinas it should keep you entertained for many years. Then move on to Mead. Storing on the water is risky and expensive. Two years ago we lost 40 boats on a 5 mile long lake during a sudden summer monsoon. Most were in slips. None of the dry storage boats on trailers or in dry stack were damaged. some were blown off stands with commensurate damage. At 27 feet you get a lot more living room on a power boat than on a sailboat. I've had both. Expenses -about the same to maintain but gas at 1 to 2 MPG gets expensive very quickly on a power boat if you go fast. At idle - 5MPH - not so bad. On a sailboat Rigging,sails and canvas are the expensive items and must be maintained for safety. Sailing is a lifelong learning experience. Power boating proficiency can be acquired in a weekend. Good luck hope to see you on the water.
StumpLifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 08:27   #38

Boat: C&C 41

For the past 10 years I have used Green Cove Springs Marina in Green Cove Springs, FL for dry storage in between trips to the Bahamas. It is on the St. Johns river. That is a bit far from our launch point at Lake Worth but I think it is worth the trip. I enjoy the service and the price at GCSM. Check it out.
kvstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2019, 11:48   #39

Boat: Kanter 52' cutter

Have been doing this for almost 30 years, so a few thoughts for you......
The commuter cruiser website is excellent....check it out.
I have done the Atlantic and now have a 52’ sailboat in the Sea of Cortez, Mexico. We also have a 36’ powerboat stored in Indiantown Marina in Florida, our home is in Stuart, FL.
Look in Florida for a fixer upper in the 30’ range being very careful not to get in over your head. I spent over two years and $50K on a refit, so I know of what I speak....
My advice is that Florida offers much better beginning sailing than the west coast, many do it yourself boat yards and cheap storage. As you progress in your skills, the Bahamas are lovely and an easy striking distance.
The pacific is more difficult, more knowledge about weather required, not many inland waterways, like the ICW and rivers, to hide in and practice on. Berthage seems very expensive on the west coast of the US.
Mexico offer some cheap possibilities, but each has complications. Not really great for the beginning sailor or first time yacht owner. I know Florida is a long way from your home base, but I believe the benefits outweigh the west coast or Mexico.
Many 30’ish boats on local web sites and Craig’s list....good storage in Green cove springs or Indiantown. South Florida gets a little crazy in yard prices and restrictive anchoring.....stay north of Jupiter, FL.
Hope this helps!
sailnautilus is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising