Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-10-2016, 11:23   #31

Re: Practicality of Trailering a sailboat

I tow a 4800lb sailboat on 1100lb tandem axle braked trailer behind a 2000 Ford Explorer using an equalizer hitch. Tows fine at 50-60mph. Initial trip was 750 miles, I do 60 miles each way twice a year. The mast is 32', about the maximum for self-stepping via gin pole and winch. Boat is 28' x 8'5" wide so no road permits required yet. Fin keel needs 4'6" plus 18" water over the trailer, or about 6' depth on the ramp. This requires a 15' extension bar on the trailer each time.

Twice a year is enough for me, "touring" with this setup is not in my future. Most boat ramps don't even come close to meeting the water depth before the trailer drops off the end into whatever lurks out there. I have to time it with high tides or spring high-water etc. Nearby marina works for spring launch, take out in the fall is 60 miles down river. Lots of stuff to consider if you want to be a trailer sailor. Watched a Hunter 260 self-step and then launch. I was jealous. Good luck with your search.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 11:35   #32

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Do you have pictures of your setup Joe? I'm thinking of doing something similar and I'm looking for ideas.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2016, 13:11   #33

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Power is rarely the issue getting up the ramp. Particularly with modern engines where the bottom of the barrel naturally aspirated V6 can put out well north of 200hp.

It's traction and a low enough gear. If you are going to be going to a lot of steep slimy ramps, 4x4 low range will let a 4 banger pull a 30' cabin cruiser out with ease.

This does bring up a key issue with launching from a ramp. Many are built to handle boats with a 2-3' draft with the I/O unit tilted up until a hundred yards out into deep water. I'd bet 90% or more of ramps won't handle a 4' draft keel boat.

true! We had no problem launching our mac x from anywhere. But the Catalina 22 with swing keel, just 24" of draft with the keel up required nearly sinking the truck. The truck is an f150 4x4 with big off road tires.

Of course, regional mileage varies!
Old 22-10-2016, 20:42   #34

Boat: MacGregor X 26'
Thumbs up Re: Practicality of Trailering a sailboat

Most of you are missing the boat! The whole MacGregor series are designed for easy trailering and launching. We had a 26C for a few years, and upgraded to a 26X last year for the extra head room inside. The dimensions are legal to tow in all states, only weighs about 2,500 pounds to tow due to 1,200 pound wet ballast. The retractable keel and rudders let you beach it or travel in about 2' of water.
We rent space on the trailer where we do not have to fool with the mast going to the ramp. Very low cost and convenient.
We did keep it in the water one Summer, hated the green slime, and power washing at the end of the year, none of that when on the trailer.
Hope that helps your options!
Perew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2016, 21:54   #35

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Just towed my 1969 Columbia 28 from nc to al.
Over 700miles, 60mph
Boat weighs 7000#, 8.5' beam , gooseneck trailer rated at 10k lbs, new 15" 10 ply tires on tandem axles, electric brakes both axles.
Loaded off the hard with Marine Travelift
Custom built crib/cradle from items from trimaran launch. Built in al. And assembled in nc. Bought trailer used and fitted it out .
14 feet high at bow pulpit.
I welded 2" channel across at two positions over front tandem axle, slightly aft of midship of trailer bed at 14'3", actual loa boat is 27.5'
Personally, I wouldn't haul a 10k boat on this 10k trailer without beefing up some components.
My truck is a used 2007 c4500 with 6.6 diesel and Allison trans, 19.5 tires 2whl drive dually with air lift axle rear, air cab , air seats. Factory goose pin, 20k factory receiver, 16k 14" riser hitch insert. 4 wheel disc brakes.
Normally , I haul a 32ft enclosed or our 38ft triaxle house rv 5er.

Now if you want to haul a sewind32 on that triaxle trailer, you need at least a 1ton truck dually over the road. And if you haul in the hills or anything called mountains, be prepared to replace warped brake rotors on it and any smaller truck would be inviting chaos. I think ratings these days are suggestions, and not ever overrated. Load your boat with considerable appreciation of attention to weights of hitches and axles. Don't go cheap on tires. Go max overall width if possible. Your trailer should not be cheap. Your boat isn't , right ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0518.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	133606  
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 03:32   #36

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Valhalla, I agree 100 percent that 4x4 is the real deal. In my situation back in the mid 80's my f250 wasn't a 4by. My wife would have cut large chunks off me if I told her I messed up and now needed another 15k to change trucks. Smile. What i did?

Went to a local mechanic and he put different cam and carb on it. Truck was illegal and wouldn't pass smog these days. But she could now pull my big arse boat up the ramp.

man I was popular back then. Twice a month all my buddies would load 2-3 tanks/ 6 guys + all the dive paraphernalia. They paid for the gas. Good times then. Until u got pin holes in the boot and u joints froze up. Twice! Now I totally understand what "mad as a wet hen" comes from. He he.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2016, 21:01   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea-escape View Post
I have a F-150 with a towing package. I would like to purchase a sailboat that I can Trailer to various places. What is the largest recommended sailboat size to trailer with the F-150? Are there any additional licenses required?
Regards launching, bilge keels and fin keels will quite often require a steeper ramp than is available. On an English forum one gentleman overcame this by flipping the winch strap over to the hitch, disconnect, and launch.
I just got back into sailing this year and am towing a Crown 18 behind a Saturn SL. Towing is fine but I sure don't want to get tires wet. Got a 12 VDC winch, a rotating HD castor I mount on the trailer frame and have it working pretty good now.
My next step was the mast. I have a heavy one for the size of the boat and thanks to YouTube now have a very nice system to raise/lower the mast even while launched.
Re type of boat, a swing keel is great on lakes and allows easy access to the shore. Open salt chuck a fixed or modified swing Keel would be better.
Are you going to be launching every day or so, or mooring for a while then move on? To me this would be what would help me determine amenities onboard.
Happy sailing
cyborg054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2016, 06:01   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg054 View Post
Regards launching, bilge keels and fin keels will quite often require a steeper ramp than is available. On an English forum one gentleman overcame this by flipping the winch strap over to the hitch, disconnect, and launch.
The thing about this is that you need to know how far the ramp goes, and how it ends. At least here in Florida, there are some ramps where the concrete ends a few feet out into the water, and then there is a MAJOR drop off, and/or large "hole" if you will, at the end of the ramp. Roll your trailer out far enough for the wheels to drop off the end of the concrete and you may find that it takes monumental effort to get it to come back up again! Never mind the damage you can do to your trailer. (And I'll give you one guess how I learned this!)

If you need to put your boat into water more than about 3 feet deep, in order to launch it, then you need to be REALLY careful about what ramps you use, and be sure you know how far they go and what is at the end of them. (Again, experience here in Florida; maybe elsewhere this is not an issue.)
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 08:11   #39

Boat: Macgregor, 26x, 26

I have a 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 with the small V8. I tow a 1995 Macgregor 26x with no problem on a dual axle trailer. Takes me about 30 mins to setup and about 20 min to ready for trailering.
Wind Wager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:13   #40

Boat: Catalina 310

F150 is definitely a great option especially if it's a 5.0 V8, as it definitely more suitable for towing than an Ecoboost version
HayesJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 06:36   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayesJJ View Post
F150 is definitely a great option especially if it's a 5.0 V8, as it definitely more suitable for towing than an Ecoboost version
Up to 5-6,000lbs, the 3.5 ecoboost would be my preference. It will beat the 5.0 easily. Much better towing characteristics especially long distance and if altitude is a consideration.

The only thing I'm leary of is the 10,000lb tow rating. New the engine will be fine but I suspect they are counting on the fact that anyone towing 10,000lb on a daily basis is going to bump up to the 3/4 or 1 ton, so it's going to be the rare failure due to 10,000lb towing. (of course, I would be leary of the 5.0 in the same heavy towing situation)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 08:06   #42

Your tow vehicle needs to be 4 wheel drive. We use a Land Rover. (7,700 lb tow rating) for our MacGregor. The fire department had to retrieve a Tractor trailer from the end of our ramp, that slid backwards on the slime till it was fully submerged off the end of the cement ramp, spoken of above.
Old 07-12-2016, 10:58   #43

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayesJJ View Post
Ford makes fine trucks. However i concur with others that towing capacities are limited to that number. The issue with towing maz capacities is brakes. Tow in mountainous regions will test that issue. If your trailer brakes are substandard your chances of truck brakes heating and warping in very likely. In addition, incidents where capacities are over limit will have your insurance people scrutinizing your negligence in the matter.
That said , just because a truck can pull 12000# doesn't mean it can control it. Obviously there are several variables , common sense being one of them , proceed with caution another.👀 With eyes wide open.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 14:30   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Practicality of Trailering a sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perew View Post
Your tow vehicle needs to be 4 wheel drive. We use a Land Rover. (7,700 lb tow rating) for our MacGregor. The fire department had to retrieve a Tractor trailer from the end of our ramp, that slid backwards on the slime till it was fully submerged off the end of the cement ramp, spoken of above.

Four wheel drive would not have helped, reason is he slid down that ramp I assume with four wheel brakes, so how would four wheel drive have helped? He was doomed when he got on the ramp.
I have a 1 ton Dually, I've had this truck for 15 yrs, I will pull anything up a ramp that a four wheel drive 3/4 ton truck will, and have more stability when towing, greater safety in the event of a rear wheel blowout and other things, like greater stability if the trailer starts yawning around and shorter stopping distances with 6 wheels on the ground as opposed to 4.
As long as I don't have to go through soft sand etc., then a four wheel drive will drive right around me while I sink in.

I've had both a four wheel drive K3500 Dually and my current C3500 two wheel drive, except for the soft ground, the additional expense of the four wheel drive isn't needed in my opinion.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 14:34   #45

We didn't see him go in, but heard once his rear wheels got on the slime he was toast. Divers hat to put air bags under the truck to get it onto the cement ramp to pull out.

Tags
cal, sail, sailboat