Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2014, 05:42   #16

Boat: Sailing Club and Charter Boats
Re: put in charter 3 or 4 cabin lagoon 380?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
I think it's pretty simple. Most people don't want to spend more than they need to. An owners version mono is only going to give you a larger cabin. For a vacation, most people can get by in a smaller space and it costs them less if they fill 3 cabins vs. 2 for example.

there is a market for owners version mono charters, I just think it is substantially smaller.

is probably inquire with the charter companies you may be interested in and find out what the owners version model charter percentage trends to be. If they are out often enough, then perhaps there's room for more.
I think this is a great point and worth some examination. Especially the bit about asking the charter companies for the information.

Maybe the fewer cabins type boats will attract a safer crowd when they do get chartered?

I have only us as an example, so here goes. We fall into that smaller market and gladly go out of our way to find owner's boats. This in part is due to the fact that on those rare occasions when the stars align and we can go on vacation, we are willing to spend some extra to make it a little more luxurious. We'd also rather have a smaller boat with more room than live like french fries.

We also charter only with a couple of friends whom we know to be conservative and trustworthy in their judgement. This means a 40 foot boat with four people, of whom 3 or perhaps all four are reasonably accomplished and conservative sailors (by charter standards! ). Not only do we not break boats (knock on wood and god help us), but we spring for little stuff to leave them slightly better than when we found them (offerings to the karma gods).

If the charterer is concerned mainly with cost and filling cabins with everyone they can find, isn't there a risk that the majority of people on the boat are there just to share costs and party and have no idea how to sail?

Maybe not. Most charter boats appear to survive just fine, and most charterers we have talked to seemed pleasant enough. Also, our last charter was on a two cabin 40 foot boat recently repaired from the previous charterers (a group of drunk Russians) who had dismasted her by putting the halyard in a winch...
BWB75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:49   #17
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: put in charter 3 or 4 cabin lagoon 380?

Having delivered both types.. as someone else said.. if your gonna hang onto it for yourself after.. or even sell it the Owner to S'bd two cabins to port version is the way to go..
That owners suite is great..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2014, 15:41   #18

Re: Put in Charter 3 or 4 Cabin Lagoon 380?

Thanks everyone.

After further research I think a 4 cabin leopard 40 or lagoon 400 might be better. lagoon 400 might be stretching the budget, but they look like great boats.

1 cabin for storage, 3 for sleeping and 2 good sized heads would be a good setup I have yet to confirm if either have a head as big as the owners 380, but at least they are bigger than the standard 4 cabin 38 foot cats so that's a good start..

lagoon 410 turned me off as I really don't want the engines under the beds. Perhaps it might be a compromise I could make if everything else ticked the boxes, but I would prefer it out the back.

Hopefully I can do some charters to try them out.
Moonos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cabin, charter, lagoon, lagoon 380