Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 11:41   #1

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
pirate Qualified Boat Builder/ Instructor/ Surveyor - Looking for a Job

After black Thursday when the Irish people found the potential cost of the Bank Bailout could reach €34billion, I'm thinking it's time to put this land to my rudder. The boating industry is dead for the forseeable future and even when it dose recover the taxes to recoup losses will be through the roof and the generations to come will be still paying for it.

So I am off, where to I don't know, nor have I decided yet.
I have 19 formal qualifications in Yacht and Boatbuilding a certificate in Business Accumen, a Foundation in Training and Education and I'm currently doing my Diploma in Small Craft Surveying with Lloyd's.
Any advice or ideas would be most welcome!
Geminidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 11:55   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Gemini- the boat repair/ building business is alive and well in the Puget Sound (Washington USA) Just look at some of Charlie Cobra's posts. Even the weather is similar . If you don't want to migrate to the US, British Columbia is just up the sound.
I think you could find a home here
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:04   #3

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Wanting to go somewhere and being alowed to settle there are two different things.
Unless you wish to come to the UK, where there is a welcome with open arms and as many welfare benefits as you can wish for including a translation service, free healthcare, education, housing etc etc.
I suspect other parts of the world are more selective.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:06   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Very true Anjou, but I thought Canada was pretty easy to get into if you were from Ireland. Am I wrong on that?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 12:10   #5

Im not sure about Irish emigration but I think a Brit who has loads of money and someone to sponsor them has a chance, especially if they have a skill thats needed, just like NZ and Aus, but you have to be under 45 for a permanant transfer.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:25   #6

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Im not sure about Irish emigration but I think a Brit who has loads of money and someone to sponsor them has a chance, especially if they have a skill thats needed, just like NZ and Aus, but you have to be under 45 for a permanant transfer.
I have already checked out NZ and score well on the points list. Australia I'm not really interested in. I'm 39 so age is not yet a problem.
Old 02-10-2010, 12:32   #7

In that case, the world is your lobster

Go for it, and go now
Old 02-10-2010, 12:52   #8

Thanks but I do have to be careful as to where I apply, it is a long and expensive process. My Fiancee and I want to settle down and have children so we don't want to be living like nomads for the next few years. Nor do I want to end up like friends that have moved for the sake of work to the Middle East only to find that the quality of life outside of work was non-existant. New Zeland is definately worth considering but it is the far side of the world and I have never been there.
Old 02-10-2010, 13:15   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Very true Anjou, but I thought Canada was pretty easy to get into if you were from Ireland. Am I wrong on that?
Visa services for residents of Ireland are handled by the Immigration Section in the Canadian High Commission in London, England. Irish citizens do not require a visa to visit Canada as a tourist. For all further details check out the official site Canadian High Commission. You may also phone the Immigration Section's recorded information line in London direct from Ireland at 0044 207 258 6699. Or write to:
Canadian High Commission
Immigration Section
38 Grosvenor Street
London W1K 4AA
UK

See ➥ Visas and Immigration From Ireland to Canada

Immigrate to Canada
Immigrate to Canada

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 13:56   #10

Canada sounds good but my Fiancee is from the Pacific Islands and there is no way she could handle cold winters!
Old 02-10-2010, 14:00   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminidawn View Post
Canada sounds good but my Fiancee is from the Pacific Islands and there is no way she could handle cold winters!
Just do what all Canadians do in winter ....... head south! By the way I just put the furnace on today, I've been resisting it but I guess it is October.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:56   #12

I had a good long chat with my better half and we have decided that I am to finish every boat project and exam I have here, if things are still as bad by then we sell everything and set sail, find our way to a place that feels like home.
Old 13-10-2010, 10:40   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Yes, you are wrong. But if you were a Sri Lankan coming over by old steamer as a "refugee" Canada has to let you in.... Damn... still hate Trudeau and his liberal ways that gave everyone the same rights as soon as they touched our soil!

I came with my parents as a LEGAL immigrant; my parents had to jump through a ton of hoops.

Now some slime sucking bottom-feeder gets to "help" those bogus claimants. With MY tax dollars. Yeah, I am talking about those miscreant lawyers that revel in that slop.

OK.. Rant is turned off now! BTW, I love Ireland.. my favorite European country... sorry you had to go through that economic downturn your still in.
avb3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boatbuilder, surveyor