Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2013, 12:39   #16

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: Rent out a Boat as a BnB?

Robinhood Marine Center in Maine does sort of what you're looking at:

Riggs Cove Rentals | Robinhood Marine Center, Yacht Services - Georgetown Maine | Robinhood Marine Center

Seems like a pretty cool business idea. The first one worked out well enough that they now have two. But of course, they were already set up as a marine business with regards to licensing, insurance, etc.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 12:46   #17

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34

Renting a boat would be considered commercial use by your insurance carrier. All recreational policies deny coverage for commercial use. Single boat commercial policies are probably expensive if you can even buy them.

Charter companies with lots of boats (most of which are owned by individuals) take out a master policy which reduces the cost.

Don't even think about doing it unless you have the correct insurance. Nothing will bankrupt you faster than to have an uninsured claim.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 14:29   #18
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Tom-
"Rentals
Imagine your own floating island moored in pristine Robinhood Cove."

Rigs Cove does NOT RENT OUT BOATS AS BNBs. They are renting out unpropelled floating accomodations, which are NOT BOATS as put forth in the recent USSC ruling that just because something floats, doesn't make it a boat.

i.e., a coal barge is not required to have a bell, pyros, and other safety equipment onboard, because it is a barge without propulsion, it is not a BOAT. How the USSC would treat a "boat iwthout a paddle", I don't dare to ask, but that's where they have drawn the line.

And, of course, their charter business coverage may also apply to their "floating islands".
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 16:29   #19

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Tom-
"Rentals
Imagine your own floating island moored in pristine Robinhood Cove."

Rigs Cove does NOT RENT OUT BOATS AS BNBs. They are renting out unpropelled floating accomodations, which are NOT BOATS as put forth in the recent USSC ruling
Right, hence the words "sort of" in my post.

It's an interesting idea that I thought might add to the discussion. Didn't mean to get anyone so upset they'd SHOUT at me
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 19:36   #20
Marine Service Provider

People do it all the time on with Airbnb.
johnnyletrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 20:09   #21

Boat: Formerly MacGregor Venture 22, now a landlubber

A riverfront bar I used to frequent in FL had a couple of decrepit houseboats moored out they rented by the night or week, along with some questionable on-shore accommodations.

I'm sure it would be no different than doing the AirBnB thing, except you're dealing with a boat. You would want to have some way of vetting the customer's experience on boats. I can only imagine the on-board carnage caused by drunken folks who "swear they didn't touch anything other than that one rope and we're awfully sorry about that sail thing, we didn't know that would do that, and we don't know how the dinghy got away, I swear we tied it up just like you showed us, and oh yeah, the toilet is clogged".
Dr. Strangelove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 20:41   #22

There are several yachts being used as BNB's in San Diego as well as OZ.. Just look for them as it is fun.. They are even chain locked down so there is NO chance of you ever sailing off...LOL
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 15:26   #23
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"People do it all the time on with Airbnb"
Oh, like the way folks drive drunk and without licenses all the time. Right.

Airbnb is in negotiations with the attorneys general of a number of cities and states in order to end some major questions about the legality and propriety of their business model. Using it as an example of anything, before those legal issues are resolved, is pointless. For now it looks like Airbnb members are going to have to meet all local laws regarding "hotels" and "innkeepers" before the dust settles.
Old 12-11-2013, 15:51   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

There was a member here, Sean something or other, that tried it with a Gulfstar Hirsh 45. If I recall, he fixed it up for this purpose, and put it on the market within a year after the idea did not pan out.

I may or may not have the details right.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 17:43   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

IIRC Sean was using it as a charter, not just a bnb. And aiming at a high end market.