Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2013, 19:02   #1

Retiring....

I am a local Singaporean....
Not usual to have people this part of the world living aboard..

In the next ten years I will be retiring..I want to be like one of you...live in a boat for the last phrase of my live ...just that am much poorer..

I think 90% of my time would be in a berth in a marina with shore power and water...air conditioning is a must here....

Of cos sometime visits from friends and families will be a happy event to me, so a 35ft to 45fter should be the range..

I hope that in a year I can make trips to such as Tioman, Langkawi once or twice..and in 3 years to 5 years to Fiji...and to New Zealand before I die...

I got a sibling who is a Captain in Merchant shipping who can advise me on boating..and for me zero in boating (for now)...

I am doing some homework now as I hope to get a boat in 5-6years time as boat choice is very limited here.
Sail boat or Trawler? what is your pick if you were me.

Any suggestions and ideas are welcome...for studying and thanks in advance.
Old 26-02-2013, 06:28   #2

Re: Retiring....

Sailing is a passion. If you don't have the passion, you will probably be happier in a powerboat. At least, that's my perspective. I'm sure others will disagree, and I'm happy to let them do so.
denverd0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 06:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooitn View Post
Any suggestions and ideas are welcome...for studying and thanks in advance.
Go for it.

My advice to most people is: planning is always good, but the best way to get into boating is to ... just start boating, now. Try do do whatever you can - take lessons, go with friends, offer to crew for racing, etc. This will help you decide whether you will want a sail or power boat for retirement.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 21:28   #4

Thanks for the reply pals..
Instead of me, my daugther is now taking sail class...
I will be going to Power boat lesson next year..
Old 26-02-2013, 22:33   #5

Location: We still have our apartment in Beijing, but now we are cruising full time, currently in the western Med.
Boat: Tayana 55

Quote:
What is the use in power boat lessons? My wife and I went to Phuket and took ASA classes there: PM for a recommendation.
You will know after one or two weeks, if sailing is for you and you will get some idea about the right boat size to suit you.
As we are living in China the area around Phuket and the Gulf of Siam was our prefered cruising area for years and we loved it.
Sindbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2013, 23:38   #6

Boat: 36' solaris sunrise catamaran
Talking Re: Retiring....

Quote:

Not good idea. Power boat very expensive to run/maintaian. Sail boat free with wind in the sail
rivonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 00:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sindbad View Post
What is the use in power boat lessons? My wife and I went to Phuket and took ASA classes there: PM for a recommendation.
You will know after one or two weeks, if sailing is for you and you will get some idea about the right boat size to suit you.
As we are living in China the area around Phuket and the Gulf of Siam was our prefered cruising area for years and we loved it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rivonia View Post
Not good idea. Power boat very expensive to run/maintaian. Sail boat free with wind in the sail

Thanks Sinbad and Rivonia..
This was my idea but as 90% of the time would be at berth..some write-up suggested that power be a better choice..
Old 27-02-2013, 07:52   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

For liveaboard, a power boat has a lot more room and living space. No question there. But that 10 percent you want to be away from the dock will cost a lot of money in a power boat. A 200 km trip might cost $800 US ($991 Singapore dollar) in a power boat, but only $50 US ($62 Singapore Dollar) That's for a sailboat motoring both ways. If sailing part or all the way, the price is much lower. Oh thats for an average 35 foot sail and power boat. A trawler / displacement power boat will get about the same fuel usage as a sailboat. So that is an option.

Being a poor liveaboard sailor myself, having a older sailboat made sense. For what the average powerboater spends in fuel in one trip, I can sail / motor for a year to two. I tend to spend most of my time away from docks.

Best of luck to you...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2013, 20:07   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
For liveaboard, a power boat has a lot more room and living space. No question there. But that 10 percent you want to be away from the dock will cost a lot of money in a power boat. A 200 km trip might cost $800 US ($991 Singapore dollar) in a power boat, but only $50 US ($62 Singapore Dollar) That's for a sailboat motoring both ways. If sailing part or all the way, the price is much lower. Oh thats for an average 35 foot sail and power boat. A trawler / displacement power boat will get about the same fuel usage as a sailboat. So that is an option.

Being a poor liveaboard sailor myself, having a older sailboat made sense. For what the average powerboater spends in fuel in one trip, I can sail / motor for a year to two. I tend to spend most of my time away from docks.

Best of luck to you...
Thanks a lot, a very good comparision here.
Yes, you a right, am not into the "POWER" power boat type..considered sail and read alot abt.
But I must face the reality that no matter how much I love to sail, would be limited by the affordablity one could.
So a better living space replaced sail by option...until fuel money accumulated enough..docking or mooring is the only way to fullfill the dream on boat...Very happy to hear that Trawler is a close option..
Old 05-03-2013, 05:14   #10

90% of time at dock? Do your relations own docking?...if not the fees involved would seem to be hefty....

Quote:
Thanks a lot, a very good comparision here.
Yes, you a right, am not into the "POWER" power boat type..considered sail and read alot abt.
But I must face the reality that no matter how much I love to sail, would be limited by the affordablity one could.
So a better living space replaced sail by option...until fuel money accumulated enough..docking or mooring is the only way to fullfill the dream on boat...Very happy to hear that Trawler is a close option..
Brogan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 21:42   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brogan007 View Post
90% of time at dock? Do your relations own docking?...if not the fees involved would seem to be hefty....
Yup, think about that.
But living in a house needs expenses too, so will rent the house out and get a affordable berth. I got a marina membership, for dock about USD200/mth for a 30-40footer..

I believe cost would be more if always on the move...