Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2021, 09:19   #1

Boat: B423
Seasonal Work USVI & PR

I was wondering if any cruisers have had experience picking up seasonal work in the USVI or PR. I would assume the best time would be the winter. The type of work I was thinking about would be temporary and menial.
  • Charter Company Dock Hand
  • Dive, Snorkeling, Leisure Vessell Crew
  • General Tourism Customer Service

I am authorized to Work in the US, but don't have a USCG Capt. Lic yet.

I assume the pay is low and marina fees are high. Has anybody had success in this area to top up the kitty?
clamshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 09:43   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono
Re: Seasonal Work USVI & PR

Are you a US citizen? If not, you can't get a USCG Master's license, which is what you would likely need. If you are a US citizen, you can certainly work in either place, but I think you opportunities would be much better, and for better pay, in the USVI. Marinas fees are high, but there are anchoring and mooring possibilities. To be clear, although I spent much time in both places, my work experience was in the BVI, which is a whole other kettle of fish!
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 09:57   #3

Quote:
Are you a US citizen?
Yes

Quote:
my work experience was in the BVI, which is a whole other kettle of fish!
Tell me more :-).
Old 17-09-2021, 10:56   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

The BVI rules are quite simple - have a work permit or by the time you return after your first day's non-permitted work you will have immigration waiting at your doorstep as several people will have reported you. Getting a work permit for the type of work you are contemplating will require sponsorship, a bit of money and lots of lead time and that is unlikely to happen.

Recently they were talking about fining boat owners doing work on their own boats on the hardstand for working in the BVI illegally...
Old 17-09-2021, 11:27   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Are you a US citizen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamshack View Post
yes
Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
my work experience was in the BVI, which is a whole other kettle of fish!

Quote:
Tell me more :-).
Not much point in learning about working in the BVI as a US Citizen. You're better off focusing on the USVI.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 12:50   #6

Quote:
I was wondering if any cruisers have had experience picking up seasonal work...

By 'cruisers', do you mean the boat owners or the actual crew of the boat?

Not being impolite but I can't imagine boat owners in the USVI having to scrounge around for work.
Old 17-09-2021, 13:29   #7

Quote:
By 'cruisers', do you mean the boat owners or the actual crew of the boat?
Yes, an owner of a boat worth around $150k wants to pick up a seasonal job. Why not earn $12,000 or so during high season to supplement one's savings. Then enjoy myself in Grenada or Panama the rest of the year.

Not to be rude, but I didn't think this was a forum for the multi-millionaire/billionaire yacht scene.
Old 17-09-2021, 13:40   #8

It's not - it's for everyday cruisers and sailors
Old 17-09-2021, 13:57   #9

One needs to keep in mind that these idyllic locations are full of other cruisers (in addition to the locals) also seeking gainful employment. This depresses prices somewhat. I wouldn't count on getting jobs as part of your financial planning but consider any work you can find as a "bonus". I'm cheap - I usually end up doing splicing work for fellow cruisers for beer money.
Old 17-09-2021, 15:10   #10

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

I've been reading the USVI forum on trip advisor for the past 6 months. Seems employers are desperate for reliable workers. Granted they had unprecedented tourist traffic this year due to being one of the few "easy" destinations for Americans to travel to during covid-19. But there's also lack of affordable living so I'd think living on a boat would solve that problem and give you some advantage. So in my opinion I'd say yes. It's completely possible to obtain a job in the USVI to top up your kitty!
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 15:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
One needs to keep in mind that these idyllic locations are full of other cruisers (in addition to the locals) also seeking gainful employment. This depresses prices somewhat. I wouldn't count on getting jobs as part of your financial planning but consider any work you can find as a "bonus". I'm cheap - I usually end up doing splicing work for fellow cruisers for beer money.
That's a good idea and considerate. I have an IT background, so I could help fellow cruisers, with their personal or boat systems.

How do you make your services known to other cruisers, while making it clear that you anticipate compensation?
Old 17-09-2021, 15:33   #12

There's no coordinated cruiser's net on the VHF in the BVI so it is all word-of-mouth and local contacts. Unfortunately many cruisers come from the IT-world which reduces the opportunities but, on the other hand, a lot of them are true luddites who need help in that realm. Cruisers as a whole tend to be quite parsimonious, though...
Old 17-09-2021, 16:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
There's no coordinated cruiser's net on the VHF in the BVI so it is all word-of-mouth and local contacts. Unfortunately many cruisers come from the IT-world which reduces the opportunities but, on the other hand, a lot of them are true luddites who need help in that realm. Cruisers as a whole tend to be quite parsimonious, though...
Well said sir. I backpacked/traveled for a year overland and found myself yearning for a working life sometimes.

Now I'm moving towards a permanent transition to living aboard. A boat requires a lot more work, but i fear the same inkling eventually. Though the boat will be a home and not another hotel room.

Parsimonious, I am
Old 17-09-2021, 16:36   #14

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
I've been reading the USVI forum on trip advisor for the past 6 months. Seems employers are desperate for reliable workers. Granted they had unprecedented tourist traffic this year due to being one of the few "easy" destinations for Americans to travel to during covid-19. But there's also lack of affordable living so I'd think living on a boat would solve that problem and give you some advantage. So in my opinion I'd say yes. It's completely possible to obtain a job in the USVI to top up your kitty!
This is the same as the situation in Key West. Housing costs are outrageous but living on a boat solves that. If you can fog a mirror you can find work.
Old 17-09-2021, 17:30   #15

I remember spending time in Hawaii. The rule there was if you could pass a drug test, and you would show up for work when the surf was up, you could have a job… any job…
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
work