Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 15:11   #1

Question seeking advice

this is my first post, so bear with me...hubby wants to buy boat and sail for several years, he knows how, I don't. I have been on boats and love to sail, just never picked up much (the occasional glass of wine count?) i have been doing my research, and been to a couple of shows, in-water, and i know what like. what I need to know is what boat(s) might suit me. you see my husband knows I have to be happy for him to be happy - so I get to have a lot of input for what's down below. so here goes my list: I love to cook, am a gourmet (on land) and hope to meet lots of new people who either like to cook or like to eat, so I would really appreciate a good galley size, prefer u-shape, l shape will do, I am a bit claustrophobic-so I need a wide beam! which I know means length, so 38-46 seems right. husband is tall, so we also need headroom. speaking of heads, one of them must have a separate shower, and I need as much natural light below deck as possible. the opportunity for a real bed would be a bonus, but I can make do if necessary. we won't be ready to sail for at least 12 months, possibly 16. we'll spend the better part of the first 2 years in the Caribbean, our favorite place, while I learn the ropes (no pun intended, hah) and would really like to get to the pacific in year 3. our budget tops out at 100,000-but that would be with everything our little hearts desire, i'd like to see if we could do it for 80K. hubby is very able, master finish carpenter for 35 years, great depth of knowledge for plumbing, electric, motors etc... and I can sew, clean and give encouragement. once we buy our boat we will be living on a small income, hopefully 2k a month, from what I read here it can be done, and once outfitted our needs are pretty simple - food, drink, sunscreen...also, if anyone could give me an idea of insurance costs, that would be great! thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to responses!
deb in newport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 15:27   #2

Boat: too many
Re: seeking advice

Cal 40 around $40K. Santa Cruz 50 about $110K.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 15:37   #3

All you requirements make me think catamaran, but that will be tough at that price.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 16:01   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: seeking advice

BVI Yacht Sales Ltd. (St. Thomas,, Virgin Islands (US))&

You can't oppress a people for over 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
Self defence is not an excuse for murder.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 16:20   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb in newport View Post
this is my first post, so bear with me...hubby wants to buy boat and sail for several years, he knows how, I don't. I have been on boats and love to sail, just never picked up much (the occasional glass of wine count?) i have been doing my research, and been to a couple of shows, in-water, and i know what like. what I need to know is what boat(s) might suit me. you see my husband knows I have to be happy for him to be happy - so I get to have a lot of input for what's down below. so here goes my list: I love to cook, am a gourmet (on land) and hope to meet lots of new people who either like to cook or like to eat, so I would really appreciate a good galley size, prefer u-shape, l shape will do, I am a bit claustrophobic-so I need a wide beam! which I know means length, so 38-46 seems right. husband is tall, so we also need headroom. speaking of heads, one of them must have a separate shower, and I need as much natural light below deck as possible. the opportunity for a real bed would be a bonus, but I can make do if necessary. we won't be ready to sail for at least 12 months, possibly 16. we'll spend the better part of the first 2 years in the Caribbean, our favorite place, while I learn the ropes (no pun intended, hah) and would really like to get to the pacific in year 3. our budget tops out at 100,000-but that would be with everything our little hearts desire, i'd like to see if we could do it for 80K. hubby is very able, master finish carpenter for 35 years, great depth of knowledge for plumbing, electric, motors etc... and I can sew, clean and give encouragement. once we buy our boat we will be living on a small income, hopefully 2k a month, from what I read here it can be done, and once outfitted our needs are pretty simple - food, drink, sunscreen...also, if anyone could give me an idea of insurance costs, that would be great! thanks for taking the time to read this and I look forward to responses!
Hate to tell you but you haven't near enough money
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 16:33   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Deb,

For the type and size of boat that you think you would like to have and your cooking and comfort needs in your budget you are probably looking a production boat like a Hunter, Beneteau, Catalina, or something like that. You can find some decent deals in the ex-charter fleets that are 8 years or so old. They will be minumally outfitted, and have alot of time on the engine, which isn't always a bad thing as long as it has been mantained. If it were me I would look at ex-moorings boats to get started. You can at lease get an idea of what is out there and they are about as cheap as you can find for size and age. Good luck. If you are open to the life style you could really love it.

The 2K per month is doable but leaves little room for improvments as stuff breaks down or wears out. The bigger the boat, the more it costs to operate it and moor it so keep that in mind also.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 16:40   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Considering your husband is a finish carpenter, I would suggest a Corbin 39. They can be dark below decks but one can add a light or two. Many were owner finished so they can be a tad rough. But something tht he may be able to address.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 16:49   #8

an older cstrong ruising type boat that needs a refit, may fall within your budget. OTOH, of cruising the carribean etc is enough for you guys, (which for a couple years cruising is good... no need to spend weeks crossing an ocean) a good production boat will be fine.
Keep in mind, alot of people that think they are going to sail the pacific, or around the world dont. they have a great time for a few years though.
Maybe a great plan is to buy a boat well within your budget, not too big a boat, and sail the caribe for those two years then decide : if you are going further/longer, do you need a stronger longer boat!
You may understand your needs better at that point too.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 18:23   #9

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Deb--

You will quickly find two different types of responses to your post. One will be "go for it!" the other will be similar but suggest you go slowly, take boating and safety classes, get out on the water with others, rent boats before spending cash purchasing a boat or making commitments that might be painful to reverse.

Your husband may have that needed experience, you do not. I like to suggest to those who have these dreams to think about living in a space no larger than an office, sometimes a bathroom. A boat also has limited electrical power although power is increasing now that solar costs have fallen. How much fun do you expect living on anchor will bring? Will there be times when heat is needed, how about refrigeration and of course basic water needs?

And sure, those things above are not meant to put discomfort fears in place, I mention them because you will encounter such conditions living on a boat. So again, my advice is try small bites before taking on a major life style change. Good luck and I do mean it. OH... we have never planned to live on either of the two boats we have owned even though our current 40 aft cabin power boat has many amenities.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 18:57   #10

Boat: a sailing boat

I think you may be very happy on a cruise ship. Meanwhile hubby may get a Laser and have as much sailing as he likes. If your climate is cold enough, do not worry he will be back for dinner on time.

You may be also very happy on most modern production boats, say +37' - wide beds, plenty of space and light. The problem with them is that hubby may like to sail them. Hence my opener.

Good luck,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 19:22   #11
cruiser

The boat you described in your requirements is our ex 1998 Hunter 450. But your problem will be.... You don't have nearly enough money in your budget.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 11:58   #12

Boat: 1975 Gulfstar M53

A note of encouragement - Your boat is out there and the best bet is "by owner." You save 10% by not using a broker. You are starting off on the right foot with "both" of you excited about the sailing/cruising lifestyle. Him being "handy" - you being "interested" is a great combination! Your story is not far off of ours. He knows "how" - she had never been on a boat (at all) but likes to ride and wants to help where needed. We have no ambitions of round-the-world adventures and will stick to the Caribbean/Gulf/East Coast USA so we bought a "well loved" older 53' Ketch with a 16' beam and well cared for systems for around $84K (included nice L-Shape galley, 3 staterooms, 2 baths w/separate showers, AC, W/D combo, watermaker, BIG V6 deisel, BIG genny, Radar, Sonar, SSB, VHF and Pactor [email]). Put 25K into her in upgrades (full bottom job, spare sails, spinnaker, dinghy, outboard,comforts, linens, etc). Now that the upgrade work is done - maintenance is easier but by no means inexpensive. If it breaks - it will cost you unless you are an avid do-it-yourselfer (I am) and have time to learn what you don't know (a struggle with a full time job). You asked about insurance - we pay $2200 per year for Maine to Texas out to 250 miles plus Bahamas for reimbursed cost - basically what we have in the boat. A rider for beyond costs more. $570 per month for a slip (with power/water/security included) but it is not a "live-aboard Marina. $90 every 6 weeks for bottom cleaning. PM me if you'd like more details on our lessons learned but just reading through the Cruisers Forum will expose you to some amazing experiences and sound advice from seasoned cruisers/sailors - it was our best info source before we made the plunge - the folks here are helpful and knowledgeable beyond compare.

TMT2
Gulfstar M53 Ketch
Tampa FL
TMT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 12:03   #13

Boat: Boatless

I'll trade sailing/cruising lessons for carpentry work.

We are in Bonaire.

https://www.google.com/search?q=bona...&bih=665&dpr=1

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 13:30   #14
cruiser

Keep in mind while making your plans, that you'll need at least 10% above the sales price to get the boat ready for cruising. Going it alone without a broker working for you (a buyers broker) is never a good idea, you'll end up paying more for the boat in the end. You'll need an emergency fund well above the price of the boat, for example: last year our turbo burned up and cost over $4,000 to diagnose and replace. The engine only had 800 hours on it, and it wouldn't have mattered if the boat cost substantially less, turbos cost about the same regardless of the cost of the boat or size of the engine. Things come up and you'll need to be prepared for these issues financially.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2013, 14:27   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Have a look at Yachtworld and see what ballpark (size / design / age) your budget gets you into that you simply like the look of (likely you have already!)........my gut also says a mainstream ex-charter (or style) Beneteau etc likely to fit, the price on your budget will be older (8-10 years? or shorter, low 30's instead of higher 30's). Ex-Charter is bare bones on equipment vs same boat from a private owner - plusses and minuses to each approach.

Then go have a looksee in person at whatever you can in your locale (whether for sale or not! - plusses and minuses to each), including those you don't think will be right (in condition or design or budget) as all will teach you something, or at least confirm what you already know or suspect........it's called being a tyre (fender!) kicker, but so what?!

On the personal side, I would aim to get good enough to be able to get the boat home if hubby gets incapacitated (or goes glug!) without needing to get rescued (not as easy or as safe as it sounds)..........apart from for those (unlikely) events, will also mean the voyages(s) will be more fun for both of you by sharing the workload and being able to understand for self WTF is going on (downside of that is knowing when to be scared! - but that better than not knowing!).......all that does not mean you have to become a master mariner!, because most things on boats are not rocket science (fortunately) but having a solid understanding of pretty much everything (even if mostly in practice doing what you each enjoy best or are better at) will make your life more comfortable.

You have landed on a good forum here - both for knowledgeable people and it being civilised!........plenty to learn, from either the past threads or simply as the same topics get rehashed yet again - your starting point is quite a common one, it's only the details that vary.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote