Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2017, 14:27   #16
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: starting a charter boat bus

Quote:
FYI - All that is required by law to operate an uninspected passenger vessel carrying 6 or fewer passengers is an Operator Uninspected Passenger Vessel (OUPV) license, more commonly called the "Six Pack" license. Although that is all that is -required-, I've yet to meet a charter company who would accept an OUPV license. They all required a tonnage Master's license, and most commonly a 100 ton Master Near Coastal.
And of course a boat that meets the requirements for a charter operation.
It cost me almost $2k to "convert" my pleasure boat into a commercial vessel with 4 Coast Guard officers coming to inspect the boat and to look at my paper work and to grill me about this, that and another..
Old 28-01-2017, 23:03   #17

Boat: Kanter Yachts Steel Spray 38
Re: starting a charter boat bus

My wife and I ran a part time (I was a full time engineer, and my wife a full time manager) charter business out of Gloucester, MA from 1985-1991, and had a great time. We did evening and weekend charters, 3-6 hours, and occasional overnights; we had 75% repeat business in our last year before leaving for warmer climes. I had my 100 ton for 25 years before I let it expire. Absolute best job that I ever had. It's unfortunate that what is most asked about today, and one of the reasons we stopped, is liability. I'd say, if you have the experience, and the license, go for it- it will be the best job you ever have, also.
TKDSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, charter