Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2012, 12:09   #1

Surveyors and Marinas in Turkey

I am attempting to purchase a sailboat located in Bodrum, Turkey. I will need to have a survey completed for insurance purposes, as well for my own satisfaction. Can anyone recommend a really good, thorough, and maybe tough surveryor?? Any responses would be greatly appreaciated. Also, asssuming my purchase is successful, I will need to leave boat in Turkey for several months, and its current location, on the hard, runs about $1,000 USD/month. That seems exhorbitant to me, but I have never been to Turkey. I would have no problem moving the boat, (after the survey is completed), to another port in Turkey if the rates were more reasonable.
coguard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2012, 13:03   #2

Re: Surveyors and Marinas in Turkey

Don't know about the surveyor, but you could try contacting Sunbird Turkey yacht brokerage. They are a British company and very honest and thorough. I'm sure the know of a good surveyor. I'll PM you their email.

The hard storage price will depend on your boat length/width. But, anywhere on Bodrum peninsula it will be expensive. The first place that comes to mind would be Marmaris. It's 60 nm from Bodrum. You have Netsel and Yat Marin as well as Albatros marinas in the bay. You'll find better prices there, just be sure to ask whether the price on the hard includes lift in/out, wash, stand, etc.

Oh, there is also a boatyard about 3 km from Bodrum towards mainland in Icmeler, called Aganlar. They advertise as being an economical option for boat storage in Bodrum Peninsula. Don't know about prices there, but might be worth checking it out. Note, that pretty much every Turkish city on the sea has a settlement nearby called Icmeler, which, we think, means something like "boat work place". So if you're looking by the town name, don't get confused.

We kept the boat in Yat Marin in Marmaris. For 35' monohull we paid 1190 EUR plus lift for 6 months. If you do call Yat Marin to find out, ask to talk to Meliha. She is the most helpful and knowledgeable and will give you the best price.

Two more thoughts:
It's best to call the marinas. Emails might get lost.
There is Marti Marina in Orhaniye, but it's more expensive than Bodrum Marina.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas, Turkey