Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2014, 03:10   #31

Boat: 42' Colvin Gazelle
Re: USCG Documentation Renewal Fee

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
The fact that the CG makes you renew the document every year is a much bigger PITA than the fee. I think that the Brits and Oz renew every 5 years. If you ever have to get your new document to you in the third world, you will spend more than the $26.
+1!! Having to catch a piece of paper every year is a huge PITA. I am sitting in Horta waiting for my renewed document to show up here so I can move on. It was sent by "express" mail with a tracking number for a $50 USD cost almost 3 weeks ago. I would reflag my boat in a minute just to avoid the annual headache if it could be done without breaking the budget.
Sailormantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 03:20   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormantx View Post
+1!! Having to catch a piece of paper every year is a huge PITA. I am sitting in Horta waiting for my renewed document to show up here so I can move on. It was sent by "express" mail with a tracking number for a $50 USD cost almost 3 weeks ago. I would reflag my boat in a minute just to avoid the annual headache if it could be done without breaking the budget.
I agree.....every year is foolish. People need to write or call their congressman.
Old Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 03:46   #33

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Recently they added a fee for denouncing citizenship which violates the constitution (the right to give of citizenship which is suppose to exist even for those who have no money). It looks like "The Empire" continues to ignore the rights of people by making fees for things which essentially takes the rights away from those who cannot afford to pay them. When is the last time they took away fees or simplified things, or granted rights?

Many countries currently do not require registration; maybe they should consider this option?

The downward spiral continues. The frog doesn't really notice the water is hot because the changes are small and incremental.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 15:17   #34

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Snipe View Post
I agree.....every year is foolish. People need to write or call their congressman.
how many times? I have both written and called many times. Read the ironically true joke below. This is a tax. they will extract it from you annually because they can. They would do it monthly if they could get away with it.

A female CNN journalist heard about a very old Jewish man who had been going to the Western Wall to pray, twice a day, every day, for a long, long time.
So she went to check it out. She went to the Western Wall and there he was, walking slowly up to the holy site.
She watched him pray and after about 45 minutes, when he turned to leave, using a cane and moving very slowly, she approached him for an interview.
“Pardon me, sir, I’m Rebecca Smith from CNN. What’s your name?
“Morris Feinberg,” he replied.
“Sir, how long have you been coming to the Western Wall and praying?”
“For about 60 years.”
“60 years! That’s amazing! What do you pray for?”
“I pray for peace between the Christians, Jews and the Muslims. I pray for all the wars and all the hatred to stop. I pray for all our children to grow up safely as responsible adults, and to love their fellow man.”
“How do you feel after doing this for 60 years?”
“Like I’m talking to a f****g wall.”
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 13:22   #35

Boat: Beneteau 393

Hey everyone,

I received the attached letter in the mail today from the USCG Documentation Center. Apparently as long as you renew your documentation by 11/10, no fee is required regardless of when your documentation actually expires. For example, my renewal date was 11/30, and they returned my check stamped VOIDED.

If your renewal date is approaching, get your renewal form out by 11/10 to avoid the $26 fee.

Frank Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1414268536.920938.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	90342

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2014, 00:22   #36

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcapo View Post
Maybe the CG will move into the 21st century and develop an online renewal system.
There is no possibility of making payment in a secure fashion the way the site is set up. The designers of this site must be in collusion with the same designers of the ACA website
Old 11-11-2014, 00:41   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubilee39 View Post
There is no possibility of making payment in a secure fashion the way the site is set up. The designers of this site must be in collusion with the same designers of the ACA website
Probably the same folks who are programming the electronic voting machines. (((
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 07:45   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
Hey everyone,

I received the attached letter in the mail today from the USCG Documentation Center. Apparently as long as you renew your documentation by 11/10, no fee is required regardless of when your documentation actually expires. For example, my renewal date was 11/30, and they returned my check stamped VOIDED.

If your renewal date is approaching, get your renewal form out by 11/10 to avoid the $26 fee.

Frank Attachment 90342

Does this mean I can renew for our June expiration date?

If that works - I would like to renew now for the next ten years.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2014, 10:28   #39

Boat: Beneteau 393

Too late- it's 11/15 already!

GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2014, 08:39   #40

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
Hey everyone,

Frank Attachment 90342

George,
After this year, the government will charge a $26. renewal fee for your yearly documentation as was recently stated in December's Boat U.S. magazine, page 12. There was no reason mentioned for establishing the fee, no reason given for the amount of the fee and there is no direct connection to the CG other than they will be collecting the money. As is the case with all government fees, they are merely another form of taxation that raises revenue which ultimately will go to the general fund. For those of you who don't mind paying the fee based upon your respect for the CG, you should really ask yourself do you mind paying a fee that is designed to pay our national debt rather than help the coasties and is the fee fair since it is levied against a small special interest group that the government believes can afford the tax? We keep our boat in a state run marina in Illinois. The marina is poorly maintained since the largest portion of the money collected by boaters fees goes into the State's general fund rather than to maintain the marina. This is why anything run by government is inefficient and prone to misuse. Our government has a nearly 18 trillion dollar debt that is growing daily. The US government cannot control its spending through a balanced budget and has developed a strategy of taxation large and small that will never keep up with their unconscionable spending. As the welfare class expands, money spent on wars and failed government programs continue to grow, our country will sink deeper into debt and will seek other forms of taxation to feed the monster growing out of control. $26.00? No big deal? It's just the tip of the iceberg. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 26-11-2014, 09:00   #41

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Rog--good post.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
documentation, men