Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2020, 20:16   #46

Re: What Trades are in demand in marine industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadidoc View Post
I am considering leaving/retiring from my current job, aviation engineering, with limited time to take off and find a part time job or business owner in the marine trades to be closer to my boat, closer to boating, have some flexibility regarding work schedule. Looking to be a technician or sales engineering rep for a marine navigation, powerplant, electrical OEM. Maybe get training and a certification. I still need to work, but again, trying to escape the grips of my current 50 hr work week. Looking to be less sedentary, maybe do more physically, etc.

So, what trades in the boating and marine word that you see are in demand? What have you heard?

thank you !
Don’t give up your day job until you can afford to live on your pension.
Then just go sailing for fun.

What do you mean by marine industry?

If for some reason you were interested in a new career in the Marine Industry. It can be done.
It’s just anther 40 50 hour a week job which you will be coming into at an entry level position. Many companies have started taking applications. For this years season.
Boat yard repair facility will start hiring as the season winds down.
In either case a certified marine engineer who can walk through the door, will get hired
Uncertified with some kind of engineering back ground is entry level and depends on needs.

Looking for something in the sailing or super yacht world is a different kettle of fish. What experience do you have?
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 09:07   #47

Re: What Trades are in demand in marine industry

The answer is "it depends." Location is key, and the kind of job you want.

Running your own shop will take a LOT more than 50 hours a week. You might spend 40 hours wrenching on the boat, but another 20 doing taxes, marketing, customer follow up, bookkeeping, etc, etc. If you haven't run a business of your own it is hard to overestimate the effort needed.

If you are ok working for someone else, location is really important. A place with a large yachting infrastructure (like Annapolis or San Diego) will have a lot more opportunities. If you are interested in bigger boats and more money, servicing super yachts at a place like Fort Lauderdale is a good choice.

If you have a ABYC cert and an engineering background that will get you in the door at a LOT of shops. If you really are good and a hard worker, you'll rapidly become indispensable--the best way to be.
billknny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, trade