Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Boat Ownership & Making a Living
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2020, 04:34   #16

Boat: Tartan 3800
Re: Where to best store a boat to work on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblindspot View Post
If I were to buy a sailboat, I'm sure it would be pre-owned and probably require a "bit" of work. I wouldn't want a complete project boat, but every boat has projects that need done.

So my question is, what is the most cost effective and best way to "store" a boat and still be able to work on it? Long-term marina contract/rent? Outdoor dry storage somewhere? What kind of costs should one expect for a 35' ish sailboat for comparisons sake?

In some areas there do exist DIY-friendly boatyards that specialize in this -- look at https://www.winterportboatyard.com/rates.html for example. They're in Maine though -- in an area that has historically been rich with boatyards and marinas. They post rates which can help you as a starting point. Most places are more expensive than they are IME.

I don't know if there's anything like that in Houston.

Marinas vary in how much DIY work they will tolerate so you will have to talk to the ones you're considering about the specific work you plan to do. This is true whether you will work on the boat in the water or on the hard.

Projects involving sanding and painting are the hardest ones to get approved.

My boats have been smaller and trailerable which has allowed me to work on them in the driveway at my house. No major projects but, for example, this year I spent most of 10 days between sealing deck leaks, bottom paint, running rigging, brightwork, and minor electrical and plumbing matters.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, work