Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-06-2024, 14:34   #16

Re: Which VPN software should I buy?

Use speedify. it can combine wifi and 4g/5g connections with a redundant stream for no choppy video calls
mr_rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2024, 18:18   #17

I've recently switched to the VPN from Proton (the Swiss based company known for encrypted email - which also has a free version). A very highly regarded company in the security space. And regulated by the very tough data protection laws of Switzerland.

If you only need to protect one device, the free version may be all you need. If you want to upgrade to their paid version which protects 10 simultaneous devices - and has a bunch of other features - it's $5/month.

https://protonvpn.com/free-vpn
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2024, 19:09   #18

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I’ve used PIA VPN for years.

I pay once a year. Not too expensive. Works well.
pianopraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2024, 22:23   #19

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I've used NordVPN for several years. For awhile I had 3 VPNs that I compared. Nord was the best and fastest. Any speed cost by going thru Nord is not noticeable.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 05:53   #20

There are 3 reasons to get a VPN.

1) You want to hide your Identify for various nefarious reason. Hid your identity from "the man", Download that not quite ready for steaming movie from some far off land.

2) Safety, You use open wifi connections and what to make sure your communications are encrypted to the end point. I never connect to an open wifi connection without turning on a VPN.

3) You want your IP to appear someplace you are not. Handy when your bank wants a US IP address when connecting to its services.

Each has there own users. If your an item 1 user then you should pay close attention to the country the VPN is registered in. What are the privacy laws in that country. How willing are they to hand over your info to law enforcement. Something with logless ram only servers are a must.

For user type 2, it really doesn't matter, Pick a service that is secure. TYpically one ran by a larger company, one that has lots of servers in the countries you might want to be in.

For user type 3 then its key to find a service provider with servers in the area you need to appear to be in. My bank goes nuts if I use an VPN from one state then the next day use it from another. But if I keep it the same day after day, week after week there is no issues. If your using a VPN to watch TV you might want a server located in or near a city you normally live in or at least were you registered your account from. Youtube TV will only show local stations from the cities your VPN server is in. SO if you want to watch local content make sure there is a server in your home market.

Tom's guide a a nice write up https://www.tomsguide.com/best-picks/best-vpn

Nordvpn usually is at the top of most best in class services, surfshark is also up there in the list.

Decide your type and pick what fits your needs and budgets.

I would advise staying around from free services for all but the most basics of use as nothing is truly fee so what info are they gathering on your that they can sell to provide a free service???
Old 01-07-2024, 06:21   #21
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohgary View Post
There are 3 reasons to get a VPN.
A 4th reason is to access an internal private network remotely, like your companies work network. Work from home people get access to the company network as if they were there.

"Our *three* weapons are fear, surprise, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our weapons.... Amongst our weaponry...are such elements as fear, surprise.... I'll come in again."
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 08:25   #22

Boat: Lagoon 380

YouTubeTV will use the GPS if you have one in your device like an iPhone and VPN won't work. I found out when I was traveling overseas. But with FakeGPS on my Galaxy I got around it. If you have a device, like an AppleTV, then they can't track your location. With Starlink and an AppleTV my YTTV things I'm in Atlanta all the time. Including when in the Bahamas.

Cheyne
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 08:44   #23

Boat: Morgan 382

The OP said it is to work remotely. If that is the case, there is really only one answer. Use the VPN that your employer supports, which will probably be direct to your employer's firewall.

If you are self employed, then a VPN direct to your own firewall, or if your stuff is in the cloud, direct to the cloud provider. Example, AWS has VPN that you can use direct to them.

The VPN providers can hide your location(somewhat) or your identity (somewhat) but do not provide end-to-end encryption. The connection is only encrypted to the VPN providers servers, and from there is unencrypted traversing across the Internet. That could be enough if your sole concern is a public wifi.
Old 01-07-2024, 08:51   #24
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

if your employer requires it then get it. otherwise i think it is a waste of time and money. plus it makes your connection slower.
Old 01-07-2024, 10:26   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBP View Post
A 4th reason is to access an internal private network remotely, like your companies work network. Work from home people get access to the company network as if they were there.
Your number 4th is really just number 2 but your company is the VPN provider. I know I use VPN to my company over top of VPN through my VPN provider.
Old 01-07-2024, 10:32   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
if your employer requires it then get it. otherwise i think it is a waste of time and money. plus it makes your connection slower.
If your employer requires it your most likely going to your employers VPN service and not over some other VPN. But you can run VPN then VPN over top of that. I use this often if I am on an open wifi. Put my IP into the states and then VPN over that to my companies VPN.
Old 01-07-2024, 13:34   #27

Quote:
If your employer requires it your most likely going to your employers VPN service and not over some other VPN. But you can run VPN then VPN over top of that. I use this often if I am on an open wifi. Put my IP into the states and then VPN over that to my companies VPN.
With both my current employer and my previous, if I use a VPN over a VPN my employer will immediately lock my account. There are several other related things that will instantly lock an account. If you are connecting to an employer's network, you need to follow their rules precisely.
Old 01-07-2024, 14:18   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by wholybee View Post
With both my current employer and my previous, if I use a VPN over a VPN my employer will immediately lock my account. There are several other related things that will instantly lock an account. If you are connecting to an employer's network, you need to follow their rules precisely.
I also run a VPN on my home network so can VPN in to my home network then come back out as if I was at home. I dont have enough bandwidth to make that a daily driver but I can do it if/when its needed. Be odd your employer would block VPN over VPN. Perhaps it was the VPN provider they had issues with...
Old 01-07-2024, 15:15   #29

Quote:
I also run a VPN on my home network so can VPN in to my home network then come back out as if I was at home. I dont have enough bandwidth to make that a daily driver but I can do it if/when its needed. Be odd your employer would block VPN over VPN. Perhaps it was the VPN provider they had issues with...
My employer is a large target under constant attack from bad actors. When a group from Russia or China launches an attack on a company in the US, they will often use a VPN to appear in the US. And from there, attempt to break into the network through the companies own VPN. There is absolutely no reason to ever use a VPN withing a VPN when connecting to a corporate VPN. So if someone tries it, disallow and lock the account.

It does result in a few false positives, if an employee is using a VPN to download torrents or something, and forgets and leaves that up when they connect to work. But that has mostly been eliminated because personal devices are not allowed to connect to the VPN either.
Old 01-07-2024, 15:20   #30

Quote:
Also, there is a reason your company wants you to VPN from your home. Whether it is to prevent an attack from elsewhere as I described, or if it is because they want you to work from home and not while on vacation, I would not expect to keep my job if I got caught doing what you are. Deceiving any employer of mine in that way would be grounds for dismissal.

Tags
software