Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2016, 10:21   #1

Working in the usvi for the kitty

First time posting, done a bit of searching but I am putting together a plan (like so many others) to get a boat and leave the job and live the dream.

My question is this...with a substantial savings account under 60k and a house to be rented. Would being a us citizen and sailing to the uvi working between cruising months be a good plan to supplement income? I know there's a whole thread. I'm not above working at a resort in paradise.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cruisingtarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 10:45   #2

Re: Working in the usvi for the kitty

I doubt it, their unemployment rate is consistently huge.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 12:33   #3

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
I doubt it, their unemployment rate is consistently huge.
That their unemployment rate is high only indicates that there are a lot of people who cannot find work. That doesn't mean any particular individual will not be able to find work. All you need is to possess a skill that nobody on the island has, and that someone on the island with money needs.

(That second part is the kicker... my astounding skill at Halo has not, yet, translated into gainful employment ...)

Still, the principle holds. If you're thinking about moving somewhere to work, you need to think about what you can offer that those who are already there cannot. If you can't think of anything, you may not have much luck.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 12:34   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
That their unemployment rate is high only indicates that there are a lot of people who cannot find work. That doesn't mean any particular individual will not be able to find work. All you need is to possess a skill that nobody on the island has, and that someone on the island with money needs.

(That second part is the kicker... my astounding skill at Halo has not, yet, translated into gainful employment ...)

Still, the principle holds. If you're thinking about moving somewhere to work, you need to think about what you can offer that those who are already there cannot. If you can't think of anything, you may not have much luck.
Yes, no doubt, of course.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 12:41   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

I kept a boat in St Thomas for a couple of years and an old friend lived there for quite a while managing a charter operation so I had some exposure to the local job situation (although this is 25 year old information). My take was there's a lot of transients with reasonable work skills (like working in a resort, waiter, bar tender, clerk, boat flunky, mechanic and similar) that pass through looking to supplement the cruising kitty. In that category there's a lot of competition for jobs and generally low pay.

However there was higher demand for employees that were more permanent and with similar skills but also with the ability to oversee the steady stream of temps passing through.

Of course someone with specialized skills or knowledge falls into a different category.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 13:00   #6

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Lipari 41

I currently live in St Thomas and have for the last 8 1/2 years. The unemployment rate has nothing to do with the job market. Everyone here with a work ethic that wants to work is working. I am part of the management team for a bare boat charter company and a pretty accomplished marine tech on top of that. Our biggest challenge has always been staffing.

Having said that the cost of living is high here unless you are going to live on the hook. Dockage is up there. Food costs are high as well. The wages are lower, 10 to 15 dollars an hour for basic marine skills, construction trades etc. Minimum wage plus tips in restaurants etc. There are also maintenance jobs in villa management etc but that would require a vehicle and some tools.

The bottom line is if you show up with a work ethic, basic skills, and modest expectations it can be a great place to live and work.
captainjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 13:37   #7

There is always work in the USVI for someone that wants to work . Most leave because of the lack of housing . If ya live on a boat and can get to work you will have a leg up !
Perstarebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 03:23   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Tarheel.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 04:51   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Basically, you'll break even on your time there. If you live on the hook and work full time don't drink and eat out maybe you can save a little. If you stay in a marina and party you might erode your savings.
Old 28-05-2016, 07:43   #10

Boat: Jeanneau 41DS

As said previously, work is available for the willing. My experience, 30 years ago in the days of Yacht Haven Marina, our first morning in a slip, we saw employers walking the dock looking for workers. My partner was hired that day to work for a tourist/photo business; two others found work as waiters at the Frenchman's Reef. I got work at the hotel's boat dock and had my skippers license in a few months. Finally, we saw a retired business man sail who became the marina manager within a month.
Alec H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 08:39   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
Not sure about St. Thomas but if you are white and live on St. Croix, and other US islands, you will qualify for a lot of benefit's because you are now considered a "minority".

That may help you much.

Good luck

What kind of benefits are we talking? I'm not sure how being a minority allows you to qualify for anything?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Cruisingtarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 10:12   #12

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

My thinking is anyone with some expertise in the tourist business can find a job. Maybe a bar tender or sales of jewelry or booze.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 10:17   #13

If you are white, most employers will jump at the chance to hire you. Willing to do hard work, be honest, and well mannered are in rare supply in the islands. Of course you could do what a lot of newcomers do that want to hang in the islands: sell dope, pimp, and steal. Probably make way more money than honest work.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 10:28   #14

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernPride View Post
Not sure about St. Thomas but if you are white and live on St. Croix, and other US islands, you will qualify for a lot of benefit's because you are now considered a "minority".

That may help you much.

Good luck

It was a Danish slave island.... white people were never the majority. I'm not sure what race has to do with qualifying for benefits, but based on your screen name, I'm guessing you have some "thoughts"
Old 28-05-2016, 10:44   #15

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
It was a Danish slave island.... white people were never the majority. I'm not sure what race has to do with qualifying for benefits, but based on your screen name, I'm guessing you have some "thoughts"
I may add something to that. A little aged, 1968. We were to St. Thomas on the co. nickel, so I got to know the bartender at the resort well. A black man, Felix. I asked if he was a native? Hell no I'm from the Bronx I can make a hell of a lot more money here. I believe he got room and board also.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote