Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2020, 09:57   #1

Working on a laptop without a desk!

I'm currently living aboard my Nautitech open 40 and working remotely. I have a tech company, and do a lot of software development work - meaning I'm glued to my laptop. I love my boat, but it doesn't have a proper nav station with a desk.

The best solution I have found so far, is to sit outside at the table (see photo). This setup is perfect for eating dinner, but the chairs are not ergonomic at all and it's beginning to play havoc with my back.

With so many people working on laptops, I'm certain there must be some really creative solutions or products out there for setting up a good working environment.

What solutions have you come up with? What creative ideas or products come to mind?

Thanks so much!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8529.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	208422  
craigulliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 12:11   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Working on a laptop without a desk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigulliott View Post
I'm currently living aboard my Nautitech open 40 and working remotely. I have a tech company, and do a lot of software development work - meaning I'm glued to my laptop. I love my boat, but it doesn't have a proper nav station with a desk.

The best solution I have found so far, is to sit outside at the table (see photo). This setup is perfect for eating dinner, but the chairs are not ergonomic at all and it's beginning to play havoc with my back.

With so many people working on laptops, I'm certain there must be some really creative solutions or products out there for setting up a good working environment.

What solutions have you come up with? What creative ideas or products come to mind?

Thanks so much!
Hi, Craig,

Probably, the easiest is to make a lumbar support roll. Take a bath towel (not a giant one), fold in half lengthwise, then roll up. You can put rubber bands around it to make it hold the rolled shape. Place it at the small of your back when you sit at your work station. I've spent many hours that way....

You can buy them, too. A round bolster about 8" diameter should do.

Another option is a pillow that is wider at the base, the idea being to change the angle of your seat back.

Fwiw, Jim and i use our laptops at the saloon table, too much light outside. He uses a thin extra cushion.

Ann

Tags
laptop, work