Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2022, 11:46   #16

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23
Re: 79th Street Boat Basin

One thing the OP failed to mention is where is he/she coming from... since the 79th St. was mentioned I assumed from the Hudson....
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 12:23   #17

Boat: CS 33 (Shoal Draft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
One thing the OP failed to mention is where is he/she coming from... since the 79th St. was mentioned I assumed from the Hudson....
Actually, we are coming down the Long Island Sound. Sounds like Pork Washington makes the most sense anyway.
alofns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 15:23   #18

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by alofns View Post
Actually, we are coming down the Long Island Sound. Sounds like Pork Washington makes the most sense anyway.
Ok, there you go, cancel anything I said about up the Hudson..[emoji106]
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 10:36   #19

What's become of the 23rd st marina in Manhatten?
majnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 13:48   #20

Boat: Mariner 38 Pilot House

Atlantic highlands mooring field and take the high speed ferry to 35th street. The ferry landing is literally right next to the mooring field and it’s far cheaper and better protection than anywhere else with direct access to the city.
mcon12000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 09:00   #21

Boat: Oceanis 41

one15brooklynmarina.com

A bit pricey but great view of Manhattan and a good location in Brooklyn for restaurants, etc.
brcookg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 10:53   #22

Boat: Sandpiper 565, Tanzer 22, Corbin 39

I am considering a trip to NYC some time between late July and early September for a week or two I will be coming from and returning to Bras d'Ors Lake Nova Scotia. Probably getting in and out in August makes the most sense. I am interested in any comments regarding Tottenville Marina and Atlantic Marina, or any other tips and suggestions around the SW end of Staten Island as I have a friend close to there. The vessel is a Corbin 39.

I like and appreciate all the ideas above in the thread, but this corner of Staten Island will place me within walking distance of my friend a opposed to needing to navigate public transit or hire a taxi. Maybe the better idea will be have her come to me as she will know her way around, in which case maybe one of the ideas up thread will be better. Never been to NYC so have no knowledge of the place really other than hunting down some of the places up thread.

Cheers,

Jonathan
Boulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 11:03   #23

Boat: Adams 45

I live in NYC, and keep my boat in Port Washington for a few weeks each fall as I transit from up north to my winter boatyard in the Chesapeake. I spent most of last summer cruising the Nova Scotia Atlantic coast and the Bras d'Or Lakes. Not sure why you want to cruise to NYC in July or August. It's hot, crowded and noisy, especially compared to the Lakes. Maybe send your friend a plane ticket to Halifax?

I don't know the Staten Island marinas, but in case you might consider the 79th St Boat Basin in Manhattan, you should know it's closed all season for ongoing dredging and reconstruction.
pjShap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 13:11   #24

I believe there is a marina at 23rd St in Manhatten. It's been quite awhile since I lived on a boat in NYC, so I am not current. I lived at the 79th St basin through one winter, holed up in a backwater yard on Dyckman St and swung from a ball in Sheepshead Bay. Before that, I stayed at a marina in the heart of industrial Staten Island adjacent to New Jersey. It was a memorable four years. Remember to arrive at Hellsgate at slack water. When the currents of the East River and Long Island Sound meet, they kick up a maelstrom of waves and whirlpools. It's aptly named.
majnun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 18:28   #25

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Hello Jonathan,
Have lived, worked, sailed in/around NYC all my life and have and have cruised past the Arthur Kill number of times going down/back up the coast.
Would not be my first choice as it is a fairly narrow major shipping channel with tankers, barges, container ships making their way to oil and container terminals.
Not familiar with marinas but thinking some local/local knowledge would be helpful,
you may try to get in touch with someone at the Raritan YC which although across the channel in New Jersey is very close. They have a big sailing fleet.
There are very nice marinas within a few hours sail and if you come down Long Island sound advise and can suggest some great anchorages/bays/marinas.
Not a lot of options along south coast of Long Island if you come on outside.
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 19:52   #26

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

[QUOTE=Boulter;3750511]I am considering a trip to NYC some time between late July and early September for a week or two I will be coming from and returning to Bras d'Ors Lake Nova Scotia. Probably getting in and out in August makes the most sense. I am interested in any comments regarding Tottenville Marina and Atlantic Marina, or any other tips and suggestions around the SW end of Staten Island as I have a friend close to there. The vessel is a Corbin 39.

I like and appreciate all the ideas above in the thread, but this corner of Staten Island will place me within walking distance of my friend a opposed to needing to navigate public transit or hire a taxi. Maybe the better idea will be have her come to me as she will know her way around, in which case maybe one of the ideas up thread will be better. Never been to NYC so have no knowledge of the place really other than hunting down some of the places up thread.

Cheers,

A straight shot from SW Staten Island for a day sail with an overnight.

at the entrance to new your harbor from the Atlantic, the first eastern land mass is a barrier beach community called Breezy Point (aka the Irish riviera). There is anchorage and dingy access to a supermarket, 2 restaurants hardware/lumberyard, 3 bars, beautiful beach’s on the bay and ocean, great fishing, and beautiful sunsets. The anchorage on the bay side of the beach is lined with 30ish small boats on shallow moorings drop anchor any wear east of the small lighthouse, the bottom is sand and the current runs at 2+knots. It’s supper peaceful laid back happy community.
a walk from north to south on one of the walks, the community is limited car access, you can spend the day on a spectacular beach.

It’s an option
Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 02:42   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by alofns View Post
Looking for some suggestions.

I read somewhere that the 79th Street Boat Basin in New York City was closed until 2025 for repairs. We were hoping to pick up a mooring there on our way through New York in the fall of 2022, for a couple of days.

Are there any other reasonably priced options that are close to NYC that would allow us to explore the city?

Thanks
We anchored at or nearby 79st. Too big for their moorings. You can probably dinghy in and lock up.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 03:08   #28

Boat: Adams 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We anchored at or nearby 79st. Too big for their moorings. You can probably dinghy in and lock up.
From the NYC Parks Dept website: The 79th Street Boat Basin marina is currently closed. No vessel dockage, moorage, anchorage or launch services are available.

There wouldn't be anywhere to land a dinghy.
pjShap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 03:59   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjShap View Post
From the NYC Parks Dept website: The 79th Street Boat Basin marina is currently closed. No vessel dockage, moorage, anchorage or launch services are available.

There wouldn't be anywhere to land a dinghy.
I’ve been there. There are non-ideal options to land a dinghy along the parkway boardwalk. We had to anchor up river almost past the mooring field. The bordering walkway had features at several locations where we occasionally went ashore. On days when wind and currents made the trip to the marina rough we took the short trip option. Definitely not the best solution if you can find better.

We have been cruising as live a-boards for seven years, now in the Caribbean. 79th st was the worst place we ever stayed.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2023, 05:58   #30

Boat: Dufour 29

Sounds like you have most of the information you need above. A few random comments -- Coming though LI Sound, Huntington is a good place to stop, with easy access to supermarkets, West Marine, and restaurants, plus it is a short taxi ride to LIRR for trip to Manhattan, though for NYC access Staten Island is definitely better. City Island lets you time your entrance into Spuyten Duyvil for connection to Harlem and East Rivers -- you will want to catch the tide there. However some of the marinas on City Island are real party marinas -- nothing wrong with that -- but don't plan on getting to bed early. We like the inside routes both through the Cape Cod canal and LI Sound/East River, which can be scenic and nice sailing, but if weather is bad it can lead to very bumpy sailing.
Brioche is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat