Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2024, 18:58   #1

Advice needed. Panama - Galapagoses - Easter Island - Pitcairn - Tahiti

Hi all,

I'm looking for advice on the best timing for route Panama - Galapagoses - Easter Island - Pitcairn - Tahiti. My boat is Beneteau Oceanis 500. Do you know about somebody who already sailed this route? Probably I can read somewhere about it. Or you have sailed it yourself? Any advice is very appreciated. I'm sailing the last ten years with some pauses but it will be my first ocean crossing and I understand that it's not so easy route, but my dream is to sail to Pitcairn island.

I was thinking about leaving Panama in early November 2024. Approx 11 days to Galapagoses, 2 weeks there on shore, then 22-28 days to Easter island, 2-3 weeks there, then about 14-17 days to Pitcairn, 1 week there, then 4-5 days to Gambier, 1 week there and then 10-13 days to Tahiti, where I will probably leave the boat until next season.

My biggest question is when is the best time to leave the Panama for such trip? But also any other advices are very appreciated especially any advices regarding currents and changes in a route to make it more safe (but Pitcairn is must have for me).

Thank you very much in advance for all replies
zevgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 19:54   #2

Re: Advice needed. Panama - Galapagoses - Easter Island - Pitcairn - Tahiti

Jimmy Cornells book, World Crusing Routes. Start there. This is a basic element of any long distance cruiser's library. You really should have a copy.

Pitcairn is the most isolated island in the world, and exceeding hard to get to. They have also had serious problems in the recent past. You should do some careful research about the current situation to see if you would be welcome. It is a great destination if you can make it work.
SailingHarmonie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2024, 21:54   #3

I sent you a private message with some details, but for anyone else:

Noonsite has a lot of write ups for this trip and those destinations. They are a good spot to search.

We left Panama in December and it took us 26 days straight to Rapa Nui (Easter island). I don’t think it will take you that long leaving from Galapagos. Probably only a little more than two weeks

Time in Rapa Nui and Pitcairn will be driven by the weather. There is not a lot of protection at either spot. It’s easy to say from the comfort of an armchair that you will spend a week. This may not be possible.

The nice thing about doing the trip in December is that it sets you up for good timing through French Polynesia and out the other side right at the end of cyclone season.
Sailingallday is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 00:48   #4

You might find this site useful >
https://www.deepzoom.com/
Input your route, speed & leaving date it will display average windspeeds & direction based on 10 years of satellite measurements. Click the 2nd icon down top left to see the windrose.

barcoMeCasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2024, 06:03   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Re the Panama-Galapagos leg. I sailed that a few years ago. Easy leg, but light and variable winds are common so fuel up!

Entry on a private yacht into Galapagos is an expensive PITA. For us, crew of 5 on a 38' cat, fees were just over $5K! Once there, your movements are severely restricted. Moving to another designated anchorage (there are only 2) involves more paperwork and fees. Using your own dinghy to explore is prohibited.

Personally, if I were to return to the Galapagos, I would travel by conventional means. Its easier, cheaper, and more flexible.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, Galapagos, Panama, tahiti