Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2022, 12:27   #1

Boat: Beneteau 40
Anchoring in the Gulf of Mexico (e.g. off of Treasure Island, St Pete Beach)

Hi All -

Hopefully this is the right forum to ask this question.

A bit of background. I moved to Florida a couple of years ago after sailing in Gardiners Bay (Long Island) and thereabouts for several years. I currently keep my sailboat, a Beneteau 40 that draws about 5' 1", at Harborage Marina in St. Pete. While I would like to explore more outside of the Bay and into the Gulf, one of the things that frustrates me is navigating skinny water to get to an anchorage to overnight.

As I was sitting on Sunset Beach on Treasure Island on Sunday, a few paddle boarders went by and i asked myself the following question: With the appropriate weather conditions, would it be safe to anchor near shore in the Gulf of Mexico? I realize that doing so would leave me largely unprotected, but on a quiet night would it be safe?

The fact that I did not see any other boats anchoring off the beach makes me think it is a bad idea, or at least not a good one.

As such I am appealing to the collective wisdom of this group. That question again is:

Is it safe / reasonable to anchor near shore in the Gulf of Mexico under certain weather conditions?

A follow up would be, what would those 'certain weather conditions' be? (e.g. winds out of (N/S/E/W) at no more than 15 mph).

Many thanks,
Bob
rcangemi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 12:54   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Anchoring in the Gulf of Mexico (e.g. off of Treasure Island, St Pete Beach)

When we transit between Carrabelle (Franklin County, the bit of Florida that sticks down from the panhandle) to Clearwater we anchor in the gulf to avoid pulling overnight watches. If you make just a minor dogleg to the east of the line between those two points, you are in 20 feet of water. You'll also find large barges anchored out there where the owners don't have to pay for dockage. The middle of the gulf is awesomely deep, but not the edges. Just have a good hold on the weather....

BTW, welcome to the forum. Good question.
Old 09-03-2022, 13:00   #3

Re: Anchoring in the Gulf of Mexico (e.g. off of Treasure Island, St Pete Beach)

Many thanks!
Old 09-03-2022, 13:36   #4

Did it once off Sanibel but never again. No wind and flat calm seas but just enough swell to rock the boat to an uncomfortable level. A little wind could have kept the bow to the swell but with no wind the boat got beam to and rolled like crazy.
Mo Surprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 17:38   #5

Boat: Island Packet 40

I've anchored overnight off Egmont Key (eastern shore). Nice spot with winds from the west. A bit bumpy when the winds shifted to easterly in the morning (as is the summer pattern on Florida's west coast).

I've anchored about a mile off Sarasota beach. Totally unsheltered and exposed in the Gulf. But, it was a calm night. Slept well. Would be downright dangerous in any sort of weather.

I've anchored off Anclote Island (eastern shore). Same situation as Egmont. Great with westerly winds, no so great with easterly winds.

I've anchored between spoil islands just inside of John's Pass. Wonderful spot!

I've anchored between spoil islands between Clearwater and Clearwater Beach off the ICW. Safe, snug. Great night's sleep.

At the time I had a 36' sailboat drawing 5.0'.

The thing I love about sailing Florida's west coast, south of Tarpon Springs all the way down to Marco Island, is that there are dozens if not hundreds of places to duck into out of the Gulf or off the ICW to drop the hook. Obviously, the key is that the worse the weather, the more selective you need to be in your choice of anchorages. But suitable spots are everywhere.

I study my charts, look for suitable depths, and as much protection from wind and waves from all directions as possible. Lastly I check the weather forecasts and compare what is being forecast (wind and waves) against where my desired anchorage is situated, and then I decide if it makes sense to anchor there.

I also don't limit myself to Waterway Guide's "designated" anchorages. If a spot looks good on the chart, and checks all the boxes on my list, it doesn't have to have Waterway Guide's seal-of-approval. I just use my own judgment.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 17:51   #6

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I can give you a list.

Active Captain has suggested places.

I've anchored from Sanibel, to Key west in about every one.

Some good, some bad, some I'll never anchor in again.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 18:36   #7

"With the appropriate weather conditions," sure. But if those conditions change during the night (as they often do), you may be up at 3am desperately trying to find a different place to anchor. I would not advise it, unless you are very, VERY sure about the overnight forecast.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 23:11   #8

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

I've anchored next to the Naples Municipal Pier several times without incident. As I recall it was very pleasant. Shrimp boats anchor in the gulf all the time.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 03:07   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
"With the appropriate weather conditions," sure. But if those conditions change during the night (as they often do), you may be up at 3am desperately trying to find a different place to anchor. I would not advise it, unless you are very, VERY sure about the overnight forecast.
That advice pretty much applies to sailing in general, whether at anchor or underway. There are places where it's safe to sail in good weather, that become treacherous in bad weather.

So, you're right, you have to watch the weather closely when you are transiting certain areas, not just anchoring in them.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 09:38   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
I can give you a list.

Active Captain has suggested places.

I've anchored from Sanibel, to Key west in about every one.

Some good, some bad, some I'll never anchor in again.
Hi Captain Bill - I tried replying earlier asking for the list you reference, but I must have done something wrong. Is it too late to get that list from you?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 14-04-2022, 10:13   #11

https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/Map

ActiveCaptain's interactive map
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2022, 15:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
https://activecaptain.garmin.com/en-US/Map

ActiveCaptain's interactive map
Thanks for the link!

I look at Active Captain, Waterway Guide's Explorer, and the Navionics Boating app.

When I was planning a trip to Longbeach / Jewfish Key Anchorage I was avoiding the Intracoastal and was approaching from the Gulf. I was told that once I passed under the bridge not to make the right as there was shoaling. Rather I should head left, North / Northeast, pick up the ICW and go around Jewfish Key to enter the anchorage.

Do you know if that advice still holds true?

Thanks,
Bob
Old 15-04-2022, 12:33   #13
LCS

Hey Bob

I sailed for quite a number of years in that area. Our boat was at the Vinoy Marina. I would say this isn't the best idea. The far better cruising anchoring options are South of Tampa Bay not North. Some of my favorite places to anchor would be Egmont Key -- but only during the day usually. Up the Little Manatee River (first anchorage on the right after you enter the river) Or up near the Yacht Club on the left further up the River. Then there's Long Boat Key with a nice little anchorage with a fun seafood restaurant right near the LBK pass. These are all better options than out in the Gulf in my book. I hope any of this helps you.

Good sailing!

Kind regards,

LCS
LCS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring, gulf of mexico, Mexico