Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2019, 08:39   #211
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Are YouTubers wrecking it for the rest of us?

Before this gets into a bun fight, I think its time to start moving back towards the main topic.............

I insist really, because this is how threads get closed.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 09:05   #212

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Before this gets into a bun fight, I think its time to start moving back towards the main topic.............

I insist really, because this is how threads get closed.

Old 16-12-2019, 09:27   #213

Boat: Hedonist 44
Send a message via Skype™ to lenseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by double u View Post
...in german we have a beautiful expression for people so eager to get into the limelight: “rampensau“ - could be translated into stage-sow...

A "stage-sow" eh? Are they the swimming pigs that were mentioned on an earlier reply?

S/Y "Surabaya Girl" - 2DTW3 - Portsmouth UK
lenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 09:31   #214

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 39

Yes, I think most of the content on youtube is a waste of digital storage space. Especially the videos from self absorbed millennials who seem most intent on creating envy in their audience by showing bikini clad girlfriends rather than sharing sailing skills or beauty in nature. They could be doing something more productive.
That said, there are many helpful and entertaining videos made by fairly skilled folks who are good at sharing their vast experiences with the world. Its a mixed bag and rather akin to wading thru a trash pile that might have something valuable hiding in the mess. Hows that for an old fart response?
Mr O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 09:33   #215

Boat: Casacde 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogscout View Post
I'm just pissed off that they all film going to the market and call it Provisioning. Like its a special and important thing. Oooohh we are going Provisioning today, cone along and we will show you how.

Well that and swimming pigs. Cant stand swimming pigs.
or those damned cats!
01kiwijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 09:45   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
I do think most (not all) are selling a false image of the cruising lifestyle, but that's nothing new.

What, precisely is INACCURATE in their rendition of the 'cruising lifestyle'?
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 09:46   #217

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Muffin man
Your response is so disjointed I'll just respond to the parts most easily discerned.

To outline a passage, start the passage with; bracket ([)quote reverse bracket (]) text, bracket ([) forward slash (/) quote reverse bracket (]).
Quote:
text
I understand the basics of economics, but who said anything about "arbitraily increasing wages"?

I have no problem with a truly open market, that option has been off the table for years. Likewise no problem with competition, indeed an open market can itself be the primary driver of innovation.

You might want to research 'income inequality' as well as, oh, I don't know, 'stock market crashes' or 'economic bubbles' if you really think that "The only time there is periods of income equality is when everyone is broke AF".

'Hyper equality' is an oxymoron, and I don't think that it is 'coming'. Unfortunately, I don't think a more equitable distribution of 'wealth' is coming either, which likely won't work out well for anyone.

The "20/80 thing" is a false equivalency in this application, especially without any supporting objective evidence. In my experience with managing, admittedly small groups of people (10-12), the opposite has been true. The realization that 20% of workers were doing 80% of the work should result in the replacement of some workers. Even having to pay unemployment would be cheaper than paying for a workforce that is only 40% efficient. (if I did the math right)

Guess you didn't watch the video.

The comparison had nothing to do with eating habits at the turn of the 20th century. The main point is that the only thing that has changed is the definition or range of affluence. Oh, and in case you haven't noticed, the 'free market system' that you seem to be banging the drum so loudly for considers the profit generated by the current 'health crisises' a part of the GDP. A big part.

Watch the video.

By the way I've been a type 1 diabetic for 46 years, my costs for medication (born by me) are about 900.00 a year or about 1/10th those for an average diabetic in the US. As you may or may not know, 13 is a rather late age for the onset of type 1 diabetes, even if, as I am, one is genetically predisposed.

Since the introduction of processed foods and high-fructose sugars were coincident with my diagnosis, and there are now strong indications (bordering on certainty) that the introduction of said foods and their constituent sugars are responsible for a very large proportion of metabolic diseases (of which diabetes is one of the most common), should I be harboring a resentment towards your (unregulated) free market that introduced these 'foods'?

Watch the video, and revel in the amazing things the marvelous Free Market System has wrought...of course, if in the long run a relatively stable, equitable, long-lasting free market system is eventually produced, all the BS leading up to it will have been worth it. There are of course alternatives to all of this, but human nature, not to mention inertia, may prevent them from coming to pass...or not.

And with that, I bid you all adieu.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 09:55   #218

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdomb View Post
What, precisely is INACCURATE in their rendition of the 'cruising lifestyle'?

Well, for one specific, most of them are presented by young, nubile couples who look great in very little. Don't know if you've actually cruised, but this is definitely NOT representative of the typical cruiser.
Old 16-12-2019, 10:13   #219

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Well, for one specific, most of them are presented by young, nubile couples who look great in very little. Don't know if you've actually cruised, but this is definitely NOT representative of the typical cruiser.
But that average is changing rapidly as more youtubers (and hopeful toutubers) start cruising!
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 10:22   #220

Interesting underlying thoughts about realism vs extremism and the inclusion of extremism in U Tube or other video seemingly to liven it up.

As a circumnavigator, my objective was to avoid extreme situations and plan around them. Thus, while I find stuff like Force 10 videos interesting, I never saw more than a Force 5 or 6 at sea and never more than a Force 8 at anchor. That is because I sailed within seasonal gates: outside of hurricane, cyclone or typhoon seasons and was pretty successful at avoiding bad weather. Before I set out, I had read a book among many by a single hander (title/author regrettably forgotten) who stated that if one stays within "seasonal gates", my words, it is unlikely that one would encounter winds over 50 knots and then only for relatively short duration. As we know, it takes a while to whip up an ocean so a half day of winds to 50 knots might build waves perhaps to 20 feet which would slowly subside as the wind drops. Pacific Conversion zones rarely produce winds to 40 knots and they are variable as they are squall driven. None of these weather situations pose much of a challenge to a well found cruising yacht in competent hands.

So marvelous stuff you grand standers out there but such extreme material gives a completely erroneous impression as to what it is really like to your average cicumnavigator who rarely strays from between Cancer and Capricorn. OK, except perhaps when returning to the temperate zones but then only in the correct season. Little drama for the camera here.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 10:23   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
But that average is changing rapidly as more youtubers (and hopeful toutubers) start cruising!
We can hope ... but I doubt it.

Certainly not enough nubile bikini-loving folks where I've cruised. Of course, it might be hard to show off your speedo in Newfoundland. Something might freeze and fall off .
Old 16-12-2019, 10:27   #222
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Most people want to be a film star.
Some people want to chronicle their boating life.
All people would like to be paid for it.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 10:39   #223

Boat: Catalina 470

Ok, what's a toutuber?
Quote:
Originally Posted by theDangerz View Post
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 10:45   #224

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Never Met a Police officer , and I have met a few that know anything to do with the Human rights act which is statuary law in the UK.
I have had a Lady arrested who was filming me in a public place although she has been harassing me for a year , the Police arrested her for an offence of videoing me , can come under other laws. but the right to privacy is part of our Human rights

For images of people in public places, the key seems to be whether the place is one where a person would have a reasonable expectation of privacy and the courts have greatly extended the areas where this might be the case. A court has held that the right of privacy of a child might be infringed by the taking and publishing of a photograph of him with his parents in a public street. Privacy actions in the UK have been concerned with publication rather than simply the taking of a photograph, but a recent decision of the ECHR suggest that simply taking a photograph may, in some circumstances, infringe the right. Photographers are therefore advised to be careful when taking photographs intended for some kind of publication, even when the subject is in a public place. Photographs taken of people at public events are probably still permissible, at least for the present. The general advice is to get consent, and preferably written consent, wherever possible. Failure to obtain a signed model release will certainly impair the commercial use of an image, because many photo libraries, stock agencies and the like will not accept an image of a recognisable person without a release
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 10:47   #225

Boat: Bali 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
Most people want to be a film star.
Some people want to chronicle their boating life.
All people would like to be paid for it.
I guess we certainly aren't most people!

We've had followers suggest (and offer to pay us) to start vlogging for years and we always respectfully suggest they use their extra cash to go live the lifestyle and watch their own videos instead of ours.

No different than years ago when we started a travel blog (mostly for us to remember the places we visited and friends/family to keep tabs on us) and we refused to put a "buy us a beer/taco" link on the site...

It just never feel right to us and also meant that we would suddenly be thinking/worrying more about those funding us and what they want than what we want.

Again, I cant blame the youtubers, it’s just not something we choose to do... 

We don’t pay them as we prefer to use our own money to live the lifestyle rather than sitting at home and watching it on youtube, and we don’t film our lifestyle for others to pay for because it sounds too much like the jobs we worked so hard to leave behind!
theDangerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grass