Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2019, 07:23   #61

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Are YouTubers wrecking it for the rest of us?

Here's abit of craziness. I was recently on a biggish cat, the skippers mate flew in to join him in the beautiful San Blas, what absolutely blew me out was that this guy was distressed to some degree because he couldn't get internet to watch his favorite sailing blogs!
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:52   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Mariner 39

I follow a few vlogs and do Patreon for four of them, because I find them interesting, entertaining, and sometimes even educational. I won't follow any with crude or obnoxious attitudes.
The worst of the ones I stopped following was a family on a cat that completely disrespected local customs with an attitude of entitlement to do what they wanted, specifically take their dinghy with engine through an area locally designated as reserved for tour boats and craft without props. They learned some lessons the hard way that day.
JoeRobertJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:27   #63

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Are you guys really seeing lots of vloggers in your travels? I'm not, maybe 2-3, maybe.

What I am noticing is when crew want to take pictures in some places locals are asking for money, seeing this more and more.
^ THAT!

The amount of pro youtubers is pretty small, the amount of pro youtuber sailors is even smaller, the amount of YouTube pro cruisers, I mean this we are talking just a tiny number they could do anything they want and not really make a good or bad name for anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Unless you are the police, right? Doesn't London have the most cameras and facial recognition in the world basically?
Didn’t London also ban knives?

Quote:
For me, it's the drones that really irk me. They come right into the cockpit. They see you and your partner naked at the anchorage.

I'm getting a net this time for them.
Riiiiiight lol
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:30   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
Whilst 'poison' might not be the right word, there is no doubt that the introduction of outside influence will affect the lives of those 'imposed' upon. (leaving aside the effects on the, at least to me, primary attractions of such places, i.e. their varied contrasts to ones' own brand of 'civilization')

On both sides (tourist or touree) some will feel poisoned; others will feel ---gratified?

One extreme; I refuse to visit the Florida panhandle anymore because of the
capitalization and commercialization spurred, at least in part, by tourists.

The other extreme:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ohn+Allen+Chau

Have a look at 'preference falsification' for, perhaps, some insight on that...

You do know that when you’re cruising and visiting areas you ARE a tourist right? The fact you got there on a boat vs a bus doesn’t really change anything.

Also what’s the issue with people making a buck off you, I mean are they sposed to make less money to provide for their families just to be more interesting viewing for a fringe group of sail boat types?
Old 11-12-2019, 08:50   #65

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
...From my very acknowledged limited experience, it seems that it’s always people with zero experience that are giving advice.
Dunning-Kruger effect I suspect. Either that or blatant efforts to scam their way to more hits.

Quote:
But I really just don’t understand the whole Blog / Vlog thing, they seem often to be based on people’s desire to show off, they want others to be jealous of their life.
There's definitely this at work here. It seems common across so many so-called "social media" platforms. It sure feels like those of us in rich developed countries are generally becoming more narcissistic. We're certainly being trained to give up on that quaint notion of privacy.

Quote:
Now the ones that can make a buck out of it, thats great, more power to them, I can understand that motivation, it’s called making a living, and I respect them more than those that cruise on Daddy’s money.
Agreed. I don't see tubers any different than the previous generations of writers and photographers who made a living producing books and magazine pieces. Blogging is a direct offshoot of this old medium.

Good on them if they can generate sufficient income. It's a hard job, and very few vloggers are making any real money at all (much like authors/photogs).
Old 11-12-2019, 09:11   #66

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
^ THAT!

Riiiiiight lol
Have you had the drone problem too?? .

I was pissed. The first time I thought it was some swarming bees trying to build a new nest. They fly these things right up to the windows!

Literally got a shot of my girlfriend in a pair of underwear only and spent plenty of time looking inside the boat. Right up to the aft deck area too. This was on my catamaran.

I've had half a dozen drones in various places around Florida fly up for a closer look.

Definitely using a casting net on the next one that visits.

I may be in public but I do not want people filming my indoor private moments or my on my boat at all.

The nerve of people to do this shocks me. No respect.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 09:32   #67

Boat: Rafiki 37

I think I've met exactly one youtubing couple, and they didn't film anything the entire time I was hanging out with them, maybe it's a lot more common in the Caribbean than the west coast? Likewise, I've seen very few drones.

I've met a fair few people with blogs (myself included) but they mostly seem to be writing for themselves and their friends/family. The vlogs seem to reach a far, far wider audience
Old 11-12-2019, 09:35   #68

Quote:

I was pissed. The first time I thought it was some swarming bees trying to build a new nest. They fly these things right up to the windows!

Literally got a shot of my girlfriend in a pair of underwear only and spent plenty of time looking inside the boat. Right up to the aft deck area too. This was on my catamaran.

I've had half a dozen drones in various places around Florida fly up for a closer look.

I may be in public but I do not want people filming my indoor private moments or my on my boat at all.

Well I’d the demographic that should

I’m a professional pilot as well as someone who doesn’t like people in my business, that said I also do hold a sUAS cert but really haven’t worked the drone much at all, initially I was going to use it for post damage inspections on roofs and stuff like that.

All that being said, the drone problem is much like the “mass shooter” problem, does it exist, sure, is it something worth sorry over, no.

For the most part unless you are dating a hot celeb, no one is going to go out of their way and risk their multi thousand dollar drone for candid shots of them, and frankly unless your wife/gf is a hot and under 35 no one probably wants to even see them naked. That being said if you make a scene, or start trying to chase some dudes drone around, who probably didn’t care about you before, well now you’re fun to mess with, self fulfilling prophecy and all that jazz. I’d also point out depending on location and knowledge of the parties involved a drone may be considered a aircraft of sorts and downing one might put you in more trouble than you’d want or expect.

When I see one I’ll check it out, huh that’s a XYZ, maybe wave and go about my day, I’ve yet to have one mess with me or mine. Yeah there are some bad actors, but the maaaaaas majority don’t give a hoot about you unless you decide to play with them. My 2 cents for what it’s worth.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:19   #69
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:

if the drone is that close to you,you could try transmitting with your ssb radio at about 150 watts and see what happens
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:19   #70

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
You do know that when you’re cruising and visiting areas you ARE a tourist right? The fact you got there on a boat vs a bus doesn’t really change anything.

Also what’s the issue with people making a buck off you, I mean are they sposed to make less money to provide for their families just to be more interesting viewing for a fringe group of sail boat types?
No, I don't know (except in the broadest, most loosely defined meaning of the word) that 'visiting an area' makes me a tourist. That you think it does could lead a more impulsive person to believe that you yourself might be inclined to such 'touristy' type behavior.

And of course the issue about 'making a buck off me' is exactly the point. They're not, specifically because of their adoption of policies which cater to a group of customers, tourists if you like, who are more likely to further erode the very qualities that made the place attractive in the first place, which goes back to exactly the OPs original question. Call me a snob if you like, but at least I'm not complicit...

I think the Sentinelese may have, in their 'uncivilized' response to a direct threat to their way of life, taken the high road, though to us more 'civilized' types it may have seemed a bit harsh...
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 10:57   #71

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Well I’d the demographic that should

I’m a professional pilot as well as someone who doesn’t like people in my business, that said I also do hold a sUAS cert but really haven’t worked the drone much at all, initially I was going to use it for post damage inspections on roofs and stuff like that.

All that being said, the drone problem is much like the “mass shooter” problem, does it exist, sure, is it something worth sorry over, no.

For the most part unless you are dating a hot celeb, no one is going to go out of their way and risk their multi thousand dollar drone for candid shots of them, and frankly unless your wife/gf is a hot and under 35 no one probably wants to even see them naked. That being said if you make a scene, or start trying to chase some dudes drone around, who probably didn’t care about you before, well now you’re fun to mess with, self fulfilling prophecy and all that jazz. I’d also point out depending on location and knowledge of the parties involved a drone may be considered a aircraft of sorts and downing one might put you in more trouble than you’d want or expect.

When I see one I’ll check it out, huh that’s a XYZ, maybe wave and go about my day, I’ve yet to have one mess with me or mine. Yeah there are some bad actors, but the maaaaaas majority don’t give a hoot about you unless you decide to play with them. My 2 cents for what it’s worth.
Ohhhh!!! You're a hobbyist. I see. I didn't pick up on the sarcasm before.

Well, half a dozen drones have come to see my boat at anchor and underway in Florida. They have flown right up to the windows and the aft area at the altitude of the windows. They have hovered 10ft above the roof. Although my girlfriend is 23, 5'2 and just under 100lbs, in great shape, etc... That's not it. I think it's the boat. They can't know she's in there. She's upset because they invaded her privacy. I have a very distinctive boat. They fly up to look at the boat and who is on it.

If a drone is close enough to hit with a cast net, it's fair game in my opinion.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:14   #72

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:

Well, half a dozen drones have come to see my boat at anchor and underway in Florida. They have flown right up to the windows and the aft area at the altitude of the windows. They have hovered 10ft above the roof. Although my girlfriend is 23, 5'2 and just under 100lbs, in great shape, etc... That's not it. I think it's the boat. They can't know she's in there. She's upset because they invaded her privacy. I have a very distinctive boat. They fly up to look at the boat and who is on it.

If a drone is close enough to hit with a cast net, it's fair game in my opinion.

What kind of boat have you got?

At anchor I would hoist steaming monofilament lines up to the masthead. Drone gets tangles in the monofilament, cut it loose to fall into the water. Any questions about the monofilament is that it’s a bird repelling measure that they have damaged by flying their drone into it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:35   #73
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
if the drone is that close to you,you could try transmitting with your ssb radio at about 150 watts and see what happens

It shouldn’t do anything.
Back in the day we were I believe 72 MHz and we had to keep tight frequency control, someone could turn on their transmitter and if they had the same frequency it could shoot you down. As could power lines, someone with a linear amplifier on their CB etc. glitches from radio interference was common.
Now days everything is I think 2.4 GHz and the aircraft “binds” with the transmitter and everyone is on the same frequency, Hodges Hobbies set the record a few years back with hundreds of aircraft in the air at the same time, all on the same frequency and no interference.
I believe the signal, is digital and unless the commands are tagged with a correct digital tag interference is ignored, I think.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:49   #74
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
It shouldn’t do anything.
Back in the day we were I believe 72 MHz and we had to keep tight frequency control, someone could turn on their transmitter and if they had the same frequency it could shoot you down. As could power lines, someone with a linear amplifier on their CB etc. glitches from radio interference was common.
Now days everything is I think 2.4 GHz and the aircraft “binds” with the transmitter and everyone is on the same frequency, Hodges Hobbies set the record a few years back with hundreds of aircraft in the air at the same time, all on the same frequency and no interference.
I believe the signal, is digital and unless the commands are tagged with a correct digital tag interference is ignored, I think.
back to the drawing board then.......deck catapult and toilet roll
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 11:50   #75

Quote:

hobbyist? Drone wise?

Not sure by definition, as I’m licensed, equipped and qualified for commercial work, also not sure what difference it makes for the end product of privacy.

Any idea what’s drawing such a huge influx of drones to your boat? Is there a drone racing course near the marina/anchorage or something? That seems like a crazy high number of instances

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
No, I don't know (except in the broadest, most loosely defined meaning of the word) that 'visiting an area' makes me a tourist. That you think it does could lead a more impulsive person to believe that you yourself might be inclined to such 'touristy' type behavior.

And of course the issue about 'making a buck off me' is exactly the point. They're not, specifically because of their adoption of policies which cater to a group of customers, tourists if you like, who are more likely to further erode the very qualities that made the place attractive in the first place, which goes back to exactly the OPs original question. Call me a snob if you like, but at least I'm not complicit...

I think the Sentinelese may have, in their 'uncivilized' response to a direct threat to their way of life, taken the high road, though to us more 'civilized' types it may have seemed a bit harsh...

tourist
n. One who travels for pleasure.
n. One who makes a tour; one who makes a journey for pleasure, stopping at a number of places for the purpose of seeing the sights, scenery, etc.
n. One who makes a tour, or performs a journey, especially for pleasure.

Doesn’t seem loose, seems spot on definition of what many cruisers do when they come into port.

Nothing wrong with it, in fact I like to spend some of my money in their local economy, food, drink, maybe even [gasp] a shirt or hammock or something, its the least I could do while I enjoy taking in what I can of what the area is about. Seems respectful to spend some money, like when you go over to dinner somewhere and bring a bottle of wine or something.

Tags
grass