Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2019, 18:12   #91

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter
Re: Are YouTubers wrecking it for the rest of us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uricanejack View Post
I didn’t say hate, your word not mine.

Preferred not to be mistaken as a tourist. Obviously I wasn’t there as a tourist.
I was working there. Which is different.
I just found I was treated differently, off course many of the places I went. Tourists wouldn’t go. Many places tourists go. I never had a reason to go.
In the few places I went, where tourists went. I found attitudes changed when the locals realized I was working.

My point was actually about camera changing things.
When you are working you don’t usually have a camera.
I have a HD video and still camera in my pocket, as do most people in the world.

And I really don’t think anyone cares, you’re obviously not from “there”, just be nice.

Like going to a bar, you’re not a local, everyone knows this, but how you treat people and also tip will say much more vs if you’re there just to check out a rock climbing event, are there to fix toilets, are there to visit the whales, or are just passing through and they had the cheapest diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post

No point pretending that you can blend in, you're obvious from 100's of metres away. Treat people like they are friends of your brother or something and the world will be a slightly better place.
Amen
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 18:30   #92

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernMac View Post
how you treat people and also tip will say much more...
It'll certainly show you as American.
Most of the world doesn't tip, most of the world never knew what a tip was.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 18:35   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
It'll certainly show you as American.
Most of the world doesn't tip, most of the world never knew what a tip was.
I’m cool with that. I’m damn proud to be where I am from.

I’ve also never found anyone got offended when I kicked in a tip per pint and as friendly and grateful.
“Man, I wish the customers were cheaper and meaner” said no service industry person ever lol
Old 11-12-2019, 18:45   #94

Quote:

I’ve also never found anyone got offended when I kicked in a tip per pint and as friendly and grateful.
“Man, I wish the customers were cheaper and meaner” said no service industry person ever lol
The drama is that in many places it is now expected and if tips are expected I no longer go to that spot if i am now paying more for no added benefit.
And it hasn't helped the workers as many business owners simply cut wages as the staff now get tips.

Happens in parts of the US if I am not mistaken, people essentially working for tips instead of an actual working wage.
Old 11-12-2019, 18:47   #95
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:

I’ve also never found anyone got offended when I kicked in a tip per pint.
“Man, I wish the customers were cheaper” said no service industry person ever lol
Make friends with some locals and ask is a good idea. Friends in Portugal have said that a little here and there is appreciated but go too far and it can be seen as patronizing, just not a good thing to do, makes people feel uncomfortable at being 'bought out'. Lots of the world money isn't seen as such a status symbol as it is in the US, more important things in life.
Good idea to have a chat and ask how things work and learn a little instead of assuming what is seen as normal in one culture is the same everywhere. Possibly harder than you think though with social norms so programmed deep in our brains since birth.

Thinking about cameras - you never really see many nowadays, doesn't nearly everyone use a smart phone these days?

Chatting to a local a couple of days ago

conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 18:56   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Make friends with some locals and ask is a good idea. Friends in Portugal have said that a little here and there is appreciated but go too far and it can be seen as patronizing, just not a good thing to do, makes people feel uncomfortable at being 'bought out'.
Exactly.

In years gone by I have actually been chased down the street in Vietnam after paying for a meal to have loose change returned to me if leaving it on the table.

Other places where tourists frequent I got dirty looks for not tipping - not pleasant.

Needless to say I avoid places that tourists frequent like the plague and hang with the locals instead.
Last thing I want to see is a bloody Starbucks or Mcd
Old 11-12-2019, 19:14   #97

Boat: Joubert Magpie 34

For those folk concerned about drones coming close and you loosing your privacy. Drones tend to have very wide angle lenses. 100 feet away from your boat with a drone shot video and it would be hard to know whether there are even crew aboard. It would be difficult to detect what sex the humans being videographed are let alone whether they are 'hot' or not.

Flying almost into the cockpit is a different story. Then I am just plain impressed by the flying skills of the operator or less impressed with his or her lack of concern for the fate of their aircraft.

Youtube cruising videos are like most reality TV shows, incredibly lacking in real information.

I haven't seen one yet that actually showed whats involved with getting ones boat from point A to point B safely. Just the fun bits at the end once the anchor is down.
NotEntirelySure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 19:15   #98

Quote:
The drama is that in many places it is now expected and if tips are expected I no longer go to that spot if i am now paying more for no added benefit.
And it hasn't helped the workers as many business owners simply cut wages as the staff now get tips.

Happens in parts of the US if I am not mistaken, people essentially working for tips instead of an actual working wage.

So you won’t go to a place when you’re expected to tip? Cheap much lol

I’d also my wait staff get paid based on performance, better service you get paid better, suck and you get less, free market rocks
Old 11-12-2019, 19:31   #99

Quote:
So you won’t go to a place when you’re expected to tip? Cheap much lol
No, just rather not go to crappy places that wont pay staff a proper wage forcing them instead to rely on tips.
Old 11-12-2019, 19:34   #100

Boat: Joubert Magpie 34

I'm curious - NothernMac - American ?
NotEntirelySure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 19:38   #101
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
No, just rather not go to crappy places that wont pay staff a proper wage forcing them instead to rely on tips.
I'd much rather pay money in a local bar/cafe that goes straight to the community rather than some global franchise. Plus the food is invariably better/fresher. And you don't feel the need to apologize for your fellow countrymen
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 20:10   #102

Quote:
If they provide good service they get paid well, if they suck they don’t. This is how is should be, it’s a business not a charity man!

This is how most of the best restaurants work BTW, only food places I know of that don’t use tips are fast food.
Old 11-12-2019, 20:20   #103

Quote:
If they provide good service they get paid well, if they suck they don’t.
Anywhere else in the world if they provide good service they keep their job and get paid by the employer.
If they suck they get sacked.

Quote:
This is how is should be, it’s a business not a charity man
Crap business if they can't be bothered paying staff.

Do you expect your schoolteachers, plumbers, electricians, boat builders etc etc etc to survive on tips or do you pay them a wage?

Why should the people who handle your food be any different?

Quote:
This is how most of the best restaurants work BTW, only food places I know of that don’t use tips are fast food.

You need to get out more.
Most of the world pays actual wages to their workers.
Staff should be valued for the job they do and paid by employers and not need to beg for tips to survive.
Old 11-12-2019, 20:48   #104

Quote:
I have a HD video and still camera in my pocket, as do most people in the world.

And I really don’t think anyone cares, you’re obviously not from “there”, just be nice.

Like going to a bar, you’re not a local, everyone knows this, but how you treat people and also tip will say much more vs if you’re there just to check out a rock climbing event, are there to fix toilets, are there to visit the whales, or are just passing through and they had the cheapest diesel.

Amen

I will agree with just being nice. “Do unto others” works.

I probably have a couple of video cameras and SLRs. I don’t carry them now unless I had a special reason. I do have the cell phone, if that counts. I suppose most people do now. The world has changed a lot since I did a lot of traveling, some parts their attitudes to a lot of things may have changed.
They probably carry cell phones now as well.

As it happens my picture gets taken a lot. By people I don’t know. Most ask if it’s ok. WTH why not. They are on holiday, there presence keeps us in business.
Do I like it. Doesn’t bother me.
A bus load, same old questions, same quick pass through, lots of pictures.
Not much interaction. Some other guys get annoyed by it. I don’t enjoy it I put up with it.

Funny thing is I quite like people, I even quite enjoy meeting visitors from all over the world. I’ve met some really interesting people. In smaller group, they actually talk to me. I know the camera will come out. Just not right away.
I will probably spend more time explaining what’s going on and what’s around.
A lot more than I will on video.
Preferably I will take a picture of them for them.

I’m not a tour guide, but tours come by.

It’s the tour guides, I find irritating, not the tourists. The good tour guides ask nicely, only bring a few interested people, let them interact normally, rather than rush 50 past,
Sometimes it’s a bit more difficult when there is a language difference.

I don’t expect a tip, I never get one, I would probably not actually be offended more likely amused, if I was ever offered one. I suppose the tour guides get tips at the end of the tour. The girl who arranged the visit may or may not get a tip.

A friend pulls out a camera. I feel one way.
Somebody I don’t know pulls out a camera. I feel different.

Maybe I’m weird.
Uricanejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 21:18   #105

Quote:
Anywhere else in the world if they provide good service they keep their job and get paid by the employer.
If they suck they get sacked.

Crap business if they can't be bothered paying staff.

Do you expect your schoolteachers, plumbers, electricians, boat builders etc etc etc to survive on tips or do you pay them a wage?

Why should the people who handle your food be any different?

You need to get out more.
Most of the world pays actual wages to their workers.
Staff should be valued for the job they do and paid by employers and not need to beg for tips to survive.
Plumbers are, at least the owners and ones with a stake in the business, do good work and you’ll make more money.

I WISH teachers were paid based on performance, look at the useless un fireable teachers, sitting fat dumb and happy with their unions, sorry but your pay should be based on your performance/product, not just meeting a min standard.

I worked commissions as a kid, think it was commission or min wage which ever was higher, some guy asked about what min wage was, we all laughed and said no one ever stuck around to find out. I didn’t even think about it because I was good at my job and making damn good money, thinking about the min standard wasn’t even on my radar.

Tags
grass