Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 14:17   #16

Re: Australia: What a Beautiful Place to Cruise

Love OZ!!! Sailed around a bit, but never got a chance to go to Lord Howe Island.. Most of my mates have gone and keep telling me that I NEED to go.. But, ya, love mooloolaba, all of the sunshine coast and the great barrier reef islands.. I reckon you can spend your entire life just checking out the nooks and crannies of OZ!!!

but watch out for those box jelly fish up north!! Yikes
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 15:25   #17

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHopper View Post
It has amazed me how complicated i have made my life since Cockatoo, charging headlong into chasing the mighty dollar, trying to comply and fit in with conventional society, thankfully i have realised this is not in my makeup and am now rapidly ridding myself of these complications.....i aim to get the good life back....soon!
I'M hearing you, i clearly remember one morning wading to the dinghy in 500mm crystal clear water watching small flathead and whiting swimming around me. I looked down the beach and there was a mother kangaroo and joey washing in the salt water to get rid of flea's i guess, i hopped in the dinghy opting for rowing rather than disturbing the peace.

At that moment i muttered my famous words that would haunt me forever...
THIS IS MY WORKSHOP I'LL NEVER WORK IN A SHED EVER AGAIN!!!

Two years later it all went downhill from there when we sailed away. Those were the days my friend!
Old 17-02-2012, 18:19   #18

Boat: Olympic 40 1980

Hi All
I am getting so excited..... we are getting ready at the moment to set off from Melbourne and head north..... we should be ready mid March

What recomendations / advise have you got for us,

We have an Olympic 40 and there is two of us.

Many thanks
ozmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 18:38   #19

I will be in Sydney in early April. It is the best city in the world that I have been to so far.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 18:40   #20

Boat: Able 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagoon4us View Post
I remember test sailing an Adams 10 metre on Lake Macquarie in 1985, it was a wednesday afternoon race so fish and chips at the yacht club then out for a blast on the Lake, i couldn't believe people could race on a wednesday arvie!!!! A beautiful place...
Sssshhhh ! Soon they'll all want to do it.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 18:43   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
I will be in Sydney in early April. It is the best city in the world that I have been to so far.
I am from Sydney originally but didnt do any sailing in Sydney. planning to spend about 3 weeks in Sydney where /what do you recomment we are thinking of getting a mooring havnt dont my homework yet
Old 17-02-2012, 18:54   #22

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Im sorry to say in all of the cruiseing Ive done in my years, I was only once in the fine country of OZ, and that was on a submarine in 1957 LOL on a round the Pacific Good Will tour LOL after I got to enjoy warm beer I loved it LOL wonderful folks !! felt at home the first day !! hope to make it back there in my own boat one day !!! Bob and Connie
bobconnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 19:19   #23

Boat: John Pugh / Currawong 48/OAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Im sorry to say in all of the cruiseing Ive done in my years, I was only once in the fine country of OZ, and that was on a submarine in 1957 LOL on a round the Pacific Good Will tour LOL after I got to enjoy warm beer I loved it LOL wonderful folks !! felt at home the first day !! hope to make it back there in my own boat one day !!! Bob and Connie
Hey Bob whats this about warm beer you are talking about the wrong country we only have freezing cold frothy schooners here Ha Ha
Jacko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 23:23   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

OzMate

The most popular cruiser "hangout" in Sydney Harbour is Blackwattle Bay. Room is limited, and there's a bit of debris on the bottom but it's an excellent place to spend a night or 21. Do need a good anchor.

If crowded there's round the corner in Rozelle Bay. It's a bit shallow but there are "holes" if you don't have too much draft.

Next to come to mind is just this side of the Iron Cove Bridge. Don't try to go under unless you have or want a short mast. Fairly sheltered and a quick dinghy ride to Birkenhead Point Marina.

Middle Harbour has several places providing commercial moorings. Very sheltered and popular with cruisers. Those heading north may leave a few vacancies by the time you get there. Cammeray Marina comes to mind.

Those are the most convenient ones that I can think of at the moment. The others would be more expensive and may be more weather dependent - we do get strong nor' easters and southerlies while some westerlies can be very unpleasant.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2012, 23:35   #25
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

There is also a multi only marina in Roselle
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 00:27   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
OzMate

The most popular cruiser "hangout" in Sydney Harbour is Blackwattle Bay. Room is limited, and there's a bit of debris on the bottom but it's an excellent place to spend a night or 21. Do need a good anchor.

If crowded there's round the corner in Rozelle Bay. It's a bit shallow but there are "holes" if you don't have too much draft.

Next to come to mind is just this side of the Iron Cove Bridge. Don't try to go under unless you have or want a short mast. Fairly sheltered and a quick dinghy ride to Birkenhead Point Marina.

Middle Harbour has several places providing commercial moorings. Very sheltered and popular with cruisers. Those heading north may leave a few vacancies by the time you get there. Cammeray Marina comes to mind.

Those are the most convenient ones that I can think of at the moment. The others would be more expensive and may be more weather dependent - we do get strong nor' easters and southerlies while some westerlies can be very unpleasant.
Thanks very much Boracay, Our plan is to spend about 3 weeks in Sydney to catch up with friends and family . We have also heard that the fish market is another good play to stay. After that we are planning to head to the whitsunday and around oct/nov head back to sydney area again, eventualy heading to Lord Howe Island, pacific islands and nz. Thats the rough plan anyway.

Rgds
Old 18-02-2012, 00:30   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Ok Thank you Factor, ours is single haul with 6' draft
Old 18-02-2012, 03:00   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
As in multi millions ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	std_rozelle-bay.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	37584
Old 18-02-2012, 04:07   #29
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

No - as in sailing cats and tris
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2012, 04:17   #30

'Taint there, unless you mean the place way over half way to Siberia. Pretty sad so far.

Tags
Australia, cruise, australia