Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 20:02   #1

Boat: Explorer 45
Send a message via Skype™ to Brazil
Talking Bahamas to Brazil non stop 4000 miles Need opinions and Ideas.

I am planning a trip Bahamas to brazil nonstop late November. Here is the plan:
Depart from san Salvador or other Bahamas out island after a short Bahamas cruise, making my way East between 22 and 30 degrees North. Going North of the range when east trades are encountered and South when cold fronts are coming ( especially strong ones) Pretty much like boats coming from NE coast of USA heading to Caribbean reach 65 degrees West before turning south I will need to reach 45 degrees West before turning South ( about half way across the Atlantic).
The critical part of this trip is the balance between stay north enough to avoid East trades but South enough to avoid early winter NW gales. I will have weather fax capabilities and will ask for Mr. Herb Hilgenberg to guide me trought this crucial first part of the trip but still North Atlantic in the winter can be rough.
Is San Salvador a good Departure point? I am looking for a place I can get a few last minute food supplies, maybe buy a little diesel to replace what I spent in the last week and some way to access the web to better choose a departure window.
The boat is a well prepared explorer 45. I carry a lot of fuel and a brand new engine so calms can be a good way to gain East.
I know there are a lot of people here with North Atlantic experience . I wish I could get some comments on my route.
By the way I may take one more crew if anyone is interested.
Thanks Hector
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0613.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	415.4 KB
ID:	41773  
Brazil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 04:17   #2

Boat: Hi Star 55
Send a message via Skype™ to Sergio Sztancsa
We'll be together my friend. You must wait a little in Bahamas while I am at my daughter's wedding.
Sergio Sztancsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 05:35   #3

Boat: L 34
Re: Bahamas to Brazil non stop 4000 miles Need opinions and Ideas.

I have made this trip 3 times leaving both from the Caribbean (Antigua, and St Thomas USVI.) and Connecticut USA to South Africa. Make Easting in about 25N as you suggest, but go way East across the Atlantic to about 30E (expect to use some diesel in the area of the Azores high.)then down with the NE trades to cross the Equator at about 28W. Then slant across the S hemisphere SE trades to Brazil. If you try to sail down the NE coast of Guyana/Amazonia/Brazil, the trades and current are against you forcing you to sail close in shore to look for counter currents and there are many fishermen making good watchkeeping imperative.
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:31   #4

Thanks for your response holmek. I definitely will not to try to do it along the NE south america cost. I did it coming North and I know how strong currents are. Going all the way to 30W is a good point and I will take it in consideration but it adds another 1000 miles on one already long passage.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:18   #5

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazil View Post
I am planning a trip Bahamas to brazil nonstop late November. Here is the plan:
Depart from san Salvador or other Bahamas out island after a short Bahamas cruise, making my way East between 22 and 30 degrees North. Going North of the range when east trades are encountered and South when cold fronts are coming ( especially strong ones) Pretty much like boats coming from NE coast of USA heading to Caribbean reach 65 degrees West before turning south I will need to reach 45 degrees West before turning South ( about half way across the Atlantic).
The critical part of this trip is the balance between stay north enough to avoid East trades but South enough to avoid early winter NW gales. I will have weather fax capabilities and will ask for Mr. Herb Hilgenberg to guide me trought this crucial first part of the trip but still North Atlantic in the winter can be rough.
Is San Salvador a good Departure point? I am looking for a place I can get a few last minute food supplies, maybe buy a little diesel to replace what I spent in the last week and some way to access the web to better choose a departure window.
The boat is a well prepared explorer 45. I carry a lot of fuel and a brand new engine so calms can be a good way to gain East.
I know there are a lot of people here with North Atlantic experience . I wish I could get some comments on my route.
By the way I may take one more crew if anyone is interested.
Thanks Hector
I'm considering a trip this summer to Hawaii. I'm interested in finding out about how folks outfit their boats. What do you have in the way of safety equipment. Do you carry a liferaft? Or use your Ding? Do you leave a line triling in the water, in case someone falls overboard? which life jackets do you prefer? auto or manual. What food do you carry? How big is your fridge. Mines vary small, so I need lots of nonperishable food.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:14   #6
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpshephe

I'm considering a trip this summer to Hawaii. I'm interested in finding out about how folks outfit their boats. What do you have in the way of safety equipment. Do you carry a liferaft? Or use your Ding? Do you leave a line triling in the water, in case someone falls overboard? which life jackets do you prefer? auto or manual. What food do you carry? How big is your fridge. Mines vary small, so I need lots of nonperishable food.
Your question needs a new thread and is not even close to the thread objecti es of the OP

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:18   #7
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Where in Brazil are you looking to land? Salvador or Rio or ? Akes a huge difference in routing decisions.

The coastal current splits around Recife and become advantageous to boats going south....more info would help in providing advice

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 09:29   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor
Where in Brazil are you looking to land? Salvador or Rio or ? Akes a huge difference in routing decisions.

The coastal current splits around Recife and become advantageous to boats going south....more info would help in providing advice
Probably Recife or Natal . From there going south is much easyer and i will make it costal and slow. I know well the cost of Brazil
Old 02-06-2012, 09:51   #9

Boat: Dufour35 1982 and Moody 425

OP if you where doing it in 2014 (World Cup) I'd be off like a shot!

Safe sailing!
NorthPacific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 12:51   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthPacific View Post
OP if you where doing it in 2014 (World Cup) I'd be off like a shot!

Safe sailing!
I will be there by then. Probably offering a very expensive charter in my boat.
Old 02-06-2012, 13:05   #11

Here is a screen shot of what I am trying to acomplish. Positions are only approximate.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf rota.pdf (72.8 KB, 146 views)
Old 02-06-2012, 13:09   #12

Here as a picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120602_160847.png
Views:	330
Size:	339.8 KB
ID:	41801  
Old 02-06-2012, 13:43   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

You may already be aware of these, but if not, this ocean current site may assist.

You may also find useful the navy's navigation guide. This link is to the overview of the North Atlantic, with reference to sub-sections for details. The information is quiet extensive once you get near shore, but there may be other good info for you.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:28   #14

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Long Island Bahamas might be a good starting point - a good fuel dock and decent grocery stores.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:35   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Long Island Bahamas might be a good starting point - a good fuel dock and decent grocery stores.

Mark
Thanks for the suggestion. I will consider it. I dont really need a fuel dock or a full grocery store as I will leave Miami loaded, but on another hand if I need to wait to long for a departure window it would be nice if I can replenish what We have used.

Tags
Bahamas, Brazil