Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2011, 19:28   #1

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
Best Day of the Week to Go through NYC

I'm on Long Island Sound and plan to head south soon, probably during next full moon on or around 11 October. Most likely I'll be singlehanding and was wondering which days(s) of the week would be best to go through NYC, then out Sandy Hook and down to Cape May.

I want to avoid as much traffic as possible.
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 19:36   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Best day of the week to go through NYC

I assume you mean by boat?

The whole NY harbor area is pretty big and I had no problem at all avoiding traffic. Only saw a few big ships but lots of ferries. The ferry schedule is the same every week day but they might scale back on the weekend.

Just don't fall asleep at the wheel and don't forget to look behind as well as in front and it's no problem. The worst part was all the wakes.

I would be more concerned about timing my passage through Hell Gate.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2011, 19:48   #3

Yes, my Luders 33. ;-)

Looks like high tide should be late morning around that time, so that works out well to. I'll either head down to Cape May right away or anchor at Atlantic Highlands for the night and start out early the next day. Guess it depends on when I want to arrive at Cape May -- just started planning the trip.
Old 22-09-2011, 19:59   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Where are you in LIS?

I made the trip from CT River in '09. We anchored overnight at Throg's Neck and left early to make a 6:00 am high tide at Hell Gate. Got delayed a little and had to fight the current a bit before we rounder the Battery. Toured the harbor for a while since it was my first trip to the city by water so didn't leave Manhattan area until 10-11 am. Headed south and kept going and make Delaware Bay early the next morning.

We stopped at Lewes Deleaware for fuel. Great little town. Friendliest people you could hope to meet.

Are you going all the way south?
Old 22-09-2011, 20:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac
Where are you in LIS?

I made the trip from CT River in '09. We anchored overnight at Throg's Neck and left early to make a 6:00 am high tide at Hell Gate. Got delayed a little and had to fight the current a bit before we rounder the Battery. Toured the harbor for a while since it was my first trip to the city by water so didn't leave Manhattan area until 10-11 am. Headed south and kept going and make Delaware Bay early the next morning.

We stopped at Lewes Deleaware for fuel. Great little town. Friendliest people you could hope to meet.

Are you going all the way south?
I'm anchored in Oyster Bay right now. All the way south, but not right away. Still checking out the boat.
Old 23-09-2011, 03:15   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv5l View Post
I'm anchored in Oyster Bay right now. All the way south, but not right away. Still checking out the boat.
No need to check out the boat. The trip south will find anything that needs fixing, of course at the worst possible moment.
Old 23-09-2011, 04:08   #7

Boat: private yacht always moving

I am in oyster bay on a 120 foot boat hanging on a mooring ball. We are leaving monday heading south but not through NY. I have been through NY on a jetski many times as well as tenders. Never had a problem. Just keep a lookout for ships. There is a lot of debris coming from the hudson river at this point. Watch for logs and such. Watch hells gate for the tide, after that you should have little problem.
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 04:23   #8

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

You might want to check to see if there are any bigwigs speaking at the U.N. Last fall we got stuck on the East River for a few hours because sections were closed to boat traffic for security reasons. Seems the president of Iran (and maybe Obama, too) was speaking there, and Coast Guard boats with machine guns halted boat traffic.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 04:35   #9

Boat: private yacht always moving

Forgot about that, in 2004 the USCG would not let me pass heading west because of the UN having big wigs in it. Had to wait several hours. I think that they left the south side but Roosevelt island open but I did not know it at the time
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 05:04   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennisjay
You might want to check to see if there are any bigwigs speaking at the U.N. Last fall we got stuck on the East River for a few hours because sections were closed to boat traffic for security reasons. Seems the president of Iran (and maybe Obama, too) was speaking there, and Coast Guard boats with machine guns halted boat traffic.
Good point, in fact it's restricted during the day, 7am - 7pm m-f, right now through the 27th. Luckily I'll miss it.
Old 23-09-2011, 05:07   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ
I am in oyster bay on a 120 foot boat hanging on a mooring ball. We are leaving monday heading south but not through NY. I have been through NY on a jetski many times as well as tenders. Never had a problem. Just keep a lookout for ships. There is a lot of debris coming from the hudson river at this point. Watch for logs and such. Watch hells gate for the tide, after that you should have little problem.
Thanks for the warnings. Btw, which boat are you on? I'm anchored near the Cove in the SE corner.
Old 23-09-2011, 05:25   #12

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest

I don't know if there's a " best" day of the week. I know the traffic seems to be lightest on the Hudson on a sunday morning. The ferry schedules are reduced on the weekends. The power recreational power boats don't seem to appear until the afternoon. The big Cruise ships come and go on the weekends..but you can just stay out of the main shipping channel.

I usually try to catch the earliest favorable current at hell gate..I haven't looked at the tables for the week of the 11 oct.

Most of the criss-crossing traffic is in lower manhattan around the brooklyn bridge and the battery.....when I get down there I usually favor the brooklyn side..to port..
then duck behind Governors island via Buttermilk channel. They are dredging that channel now..so you may have to go around. I'll be there on Sunday..so I'll be able to see where the dredge is. Check the local notice to mariners..for updates..

I'madinnerjacket just spoke and the UN is in Session...but you already know that..

The Coast Guard and the NY harbor police have been out in force for weeks now. between the 9/11 anniversary and the threats and now the UN meetings...they are in full alert mode...

Have a great Trip!
Old 23-09-2011, 06:41   #13

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we have done that run 3x each way - leave li sound and run the tide down to the harbor and out and down to cape may on an overnight - did it as a single hander too. - best day - now that is hard - as during the week have to watch for the tugs on the east river and on the weekends the big power boats come by and wake the crap out of you on the east river when you are having enough problems with doing way over hull speed already
good luck and enjoy - we always do

chuck patty and svsoulmates
cartagena colombia
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 07:36   #14

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Agree on Sunday a.m. probably least amount traffic...however have far greater
concern for right tide/curent and wind conditions than traffic.
Sharp lookout for debris is good advice...
Buttermilk Channel east of Governor's Island will avoid some of traffic if not blocked,
it will take you along the Gowanis and Bay Ridge Flats where you will see some
barges/tugs anchored ...but away from most of the traffic.
I almost always choose to take the busier main channel which will bring you up
close and personal with Lady Liberty which, for me, is always a treat.
Couple of items come to mind...
After passing La Guardia Airport and Rikers Island you can avoid a sharp blind
turn to port and possible oncoming traffic by taking the channel south of
North Brother Island (between North Brother and South Brother Islands)
Still plenty of water, less traffic, shorter, and you will have a good look
down the river of what is ahead.
Do not go east of Roosevelt Island, there is a low bridge. Pass to the west
of Roosevelt Is. (NYC side... Better scenery also.)
Also when down in the lower bay one can stay outside the shipping lanes in
shallow water (shallow for barges and freighters) Have done this in thick fog and
although still unhappy knew I was out of the way of the big guys...
Best, Hugo
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2011, 07:41   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Passing the UN

I did run into that when we went through. Just happened to pick the day the president was visiting the UN. Coming down the East River we saw blue lights land, sea and air. Thought WWIII had started.

USCG patrol boat with bow mounted 50 cal came roaring up and asked us what we were doing. Heading to Verrazano we replied. How come you are coming this way and how come you aren't listening to VHF16 he asked. Well the batteries had died in the handheld and we couldn't hear the main unit from below so had not been listening, wrong decision in retrospect. So, fresh batteries and the announcements were coming almost continuously so plenty of warning if we had been paying attention.

Since we were a few minutes before the official closing of the river they let us through but the guy right behind us was stopped. The CG did confirm that the channel on the other side of Roosevelt Island was open BUT be aware that there is a 34' bridge on that side that opens only periodically. If the current has changed and you have the full ebb behind you it could get dicey.

Tags
nyc