Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 08:53   #1

Boat: 40' Piver Trimaran - Reve' a Duex
Best Route Panama City, FL to Key West

This will be our first lengthy trip and I was hoping for some good advice on the best route to Key West and a good anchorage when we get there. Should we stay closer to land, cutting across the big bend? Or should be just cut straight down across the gulf? I see in the loop current charts that there can be a lot of current against us. Any suggestions?
crewholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 09:28   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
It depends upon when you intend to leave. Right now, the set of the loop current is generally easterly at Cape San Blas turning to southerly further east with a drift of less than one knot. For the next several daze, winds are projected to be from the northeast in the 15-20 knot range, making for a nice steady broad reach. As it is only about 185 miles from Cape San Blas to the northwest channel at Tampa Bay; and a like amount from there to Key West, both of which you should be able to cover in 30 hours in your boat, if I were making the trip with family that is the route I would follow. Alone, or with a couple of other fellows, I think I might just go direct, figuring I would be sailing for roughly 3 daze.

You can use PassageWeather.com to get a pretty good 3-4 day projection based on the GFS and/or NAM model whch seem to be pretty reliable.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:08   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
It appears to be about 400 nm between Panama City and Key West as the sea gull flies. There is a missile test range and probably a flotilla of commercial fishing boats along the direct route and then a passle or two of towers used as targets by Naval Aviation.
- - It personally seems like an ordeal by missiles, fishing nets and bombs (if the range areas are hot). So you need to decide is doing about 4 days at sea is worth it. Or daylight coast hop down which would probably take twice the time not counting land shopping and touring days. The western side of Florida is rather wild and unvisited from Tarpon Springs north. Might be interesting.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
key west