Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2023, 06:15   #1

Boat: 10m Pearson
Biloxi to Mexico

I’m sailing soon (mid may) solo to Mexico. Waiting for a good weather window and any advice appreciated. It’ll be the longest trip I’ve made solo but never been to Mexico. Where should I clear in? Safe harbor for a single female sailor? I’ve sailed around the world on other boats but this will be the first long leg on my own boat. Original plan was the keys then STT, but I’ve changed my mind, I want to go straight across.
Sailsareup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2023, 07:50   #2

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch
Re: Biloxi to Mexico

I am on the Pacific coast of Mexico, so I can't advise on where the best place to clear in is on the Carib side, but I will advise that you apply for a T.I.P. (Temp Import Permit) for you boat before you leave the US. This article explains what it is and why you need it and includes a link to apply for one. You can wait and apply for one when you get there, but it adds a lot of hassle and time to the clearance process.

https://www.clubcruceros.net/CruisingBaja/TIP.html

Note that the TIP is good for 10 years and you can enter and leave Mexico multiple times during that period with the same TIP. However, if you sell your boat you must cancel the TIP or the new owner will have difficulties if they ever try to go to Mexico (the TIP while attached to the vessel/vehicle does not transfer to the new owner).

Oh, also - there is a rule about fishing in Mexico which says any vessel which has fishing gear on board (whether you use it or not) must have a fishing permit. You can purchase one online here (https://www.sportfishingbcs.gob.mx/) - you can google "Mexico fishing license" and learn more about this.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico