Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2018, 12:56   #16

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: Circumnavigators vs Mt Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
There was a thread some time back.... it found Cornell's info seriously flawed....
Here is the link to that thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ll-199175.html

It is near impossible to really count, however the technology is here, face recognition = boat recognition, or via AIS. If a boat turns up at 3 or 4 out of these common stops, pretty sure there are going around: Panama Canal, Noumea, Darwin, Cocos Islands, Richards Bay, Cape Town, St Helena.
Old 25-12-2018, 13:23   #17

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Here is the link to that thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ll-199175.html

It is near impossible to really count, however the technology is here, face recognition = boat recognition, or via AIS. If a boat turns up at 3 or 4 out of these common stops, pretty sure there are going around: Panama Canal, Noumea, Darwin, Cocos Islands, Richards Bay, Cape Town, St Helena.
Pretty good odds yes, but still just a guesstimate.

Even with a lot of technology it would still just be a higher probability estimate in the case of boats just doing an unofficial (not registered in anyway) circumnav. Example: how many years do you track their AIS/Ports of Call before you give up on them...or do you just keep doing it indefinately until the dots connect? And, do you have to do it all on one boat? Some notable circumnavigators, like Dove, have changed boats part way thru.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 14:57   #18

As the majority of circumnavigators pass through Darwin, and all require either entrance or departure checks with Australian customs folks, then maybe a check there may be informative.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 15:15   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

While we did depart from Darwin Bilgewater, that was a rarity in 2017 - most of the boats (including 60 odd in one rally) departed from Thursday island = most northern port of entry for Oz. Unfortunately no data for that location in this report.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 15:29   #20

They're both accomplishments in their own right, and not really comparable.

They both have challenges, and I'd feel a sense of accomplishment doing either one.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 16:03   #21

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 52.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Problem is how exactly do you accurately determine the number of circumnavs per year? Answer: you dont.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hpw8mfpq6c...A0019.mp4?dl=0
......I am relatively new to cruising and spent most of my life in the mountains with mountain climbing types. In the few years I’ve lived aboard I’ve met quite a few, maybe twenty, boats who’ve circumnavigated or circumnavigating and lots of folks who plan to. In forty years of mountain life I’ve only met a few who’ve been or even desire to go to Everest. But then maybe those who climb Everest are a different breed altogether...
Nikki S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 16:32   #22

Boat: Baba 40

Quote:
Yes, a circumnav requires more skills. Everest is not a very technical climb...not really a climb at all by the most common route, just a trudge up the mountain in very dangerous conditions. Many, who are not very experienced, are just paying for someone to take them to the summit, which increases the failed attempts, risks to sherpas, and deaths.

Some do attempt the summit independently. Some also attempt without a permit, a couple of guys got busted this year for that.

Google "Rainbow Valley Everest" for a darker side of the obsession with Everest.
Climbers fly in, acclimate a few weeks (+/-), hike up a hill with Sherpas doing the heavy lifting, and then back down, grossly speaking. ‘Rounders do it day after day, taking what Mother Nature dishes out, for what, at least a year, sans Sherpas. Apples and oranges, to be sure; no doubt it’s two separate adventures.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 18:17   #23

Boat: Island Packet 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailshabby View Post
Climbers fly in, acclimate a few weeks (+/-), hike up a hill with Sherpas doing the heavy lifting, and then back down, grossly speaking. ‘Rounders do it day after day, taking what Mother Nature dishes out, for what, at least a year, sans Sherpas. Apples and oranges, to be sure; no doubt it’s two separate adventures.
Except, some go below the five great capes, and the rest follow the milk run route including the Panama and Suez canals, which is essentially the same as having the boat shipped.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2018, 18:26   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Except, some go below the five great capes, and the rest follow the milk run route including the Panama and Suez canals, which is essentially the same as having the boat shipped.
I suppose rounding below the capes could become a badge of honor for sailors in the same way the the 7 Summits (highest peaks on each continent) have become for serious climbers...its almost a resume prerequisite these days for a pro climbing guide.
Old 27-12-2018, 18:38   #25

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
They're both accomplishments in their own right, and not really comparable.

They both have challenges, and I'd feel a sense of accomplishment doing either one.

Exactly! What does it matter if it's more of one than the other? Why would you want to compare the two "achievements" ?

BTW, wasn't there a society of circumnavigators, where you can enter once you've proven that you "did it" ? Of course, only some fraction of all circumnavigators would aspire to even bother.

LIST OF SOLO CIRCUMNAVIGATORS

Circumnavigators Blog

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2018, 02:12   #26

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Sounds like the words of someone who has done little long distance sailing to me. Belittle the accomplishments of folks who do a lot of miles, but chose the route less likely to kill them. I agree that doin' it via the southern capes is harder... that does not say there are no challenges in a mid latitude circumnavigation nor that it is not an enviable achievement. And these days, the Red Sea route may be more dangerous than Cape Stiff.

Jim
Old 28-12-2018, 03:58   #27
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Circumnavigators vs Mt Everest

Quote:
Originally Posted by hzcruiser View Post
Exactly! What does it matter if it's more of one than the other? Why would you want to compare the two "achievements" ?

BTW, wasn't there a society of circumnavigators, where you can enter once you've proven that you "did it" ? Of course, only some fraction of all circumnavigators would aspire to even bother.

LIST OF SOLO CIRCUMNAVIGATORS

Circumnavigators Blog
And here lies the answer as to why there will never be anything more than a guesstimate..
A few years back I came across an old French guy on his 27odd footer on the hook in Peniche.. he was on his way home from his 3rd circumnav with his 'All Black'.. a stray dog he'd picked up in NZ..
Most do it quietly for themselves, not for any public recognition and kudos.
Thats for the ARC sailors with their flags proudly flying for all to see..
Whats a big deal to some is just life to others.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 02:15   #28

Boat: Maxim 380

Quote:
How many times have had your boat shipped around the world so far? Have you been out of the sight of land yet?

Quote:
I suppose rounding below the capes could become a badge of honor for sailors in the same way the the 7 Summits (highest peaks on each continent) have become for serious climbers...its almost a resume prerequisite these days for a pro climbing guide.
tunnelvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 03:06   #29

Recently completed a long crossing (NYC-Bermuda-Azores) with a friend who is also a pro mountain guide (he has done Everest + the remaining 7 summits and guides a number of them). We had a conversation about the similarity of summits to major crossings. One similarity is that people inevitably ask if it was "fun"...neither are, but both give a sense of accomplishment.

Could be the basis for an even more exclusive group: those who've done both the 7 seas & the 7 summits.
Old 04-07-2019, 06:45   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have done neither, and likely never will so I really can’t make an informed comment, but I would imagine the two couldn’t be more different. One takes amazing physical abilities and is a relatively short duration super physical event.
If you just set me on a lawn chair at those altitudes, I’d die.
The other requires not nearly the physical abilities, but requires months or longer.

One is mostly a team activity, rarely is it accomplished solely without outside assistance, the other is more of a individual event, most often accomplished with little outside assistance.
Assumption is that a Circumnav is as much of a mental event as a physical one.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
circumnavigation, cruising, sailboat