Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-04-2009, 07:21   #16

Boat: Beneteau 305
Well left on the 4th and got back yesterday, the 8th. Left Deep Bay and headed up to Comox for the evening. The next day made our way to Heriot Bay, 35 Kn. Pulled into the dock at Heriot, and the good news is that moorage is dirt cheap till June 1st ($0.40 per foot) Took Monday off and just slummed around the beach at Rebbeca Spit. Tuesday made our way back to Comox. A great highlight to the trip was on the way back, passing the airport at Comox. The Canadian Snowbirds were practiceing over the sound and it seemed like we had a private front row seat, and they were preforming just for us, really cool. It was a good trip, however seas were flat the whole time out so no actual sailing was really ever done. Heriot Bay was a great spot and look forward to heading up there again, but next time I hope to have more time to explore more, Cortez, Rhodonda, Reid Isl. etc..
Exocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 11:00   #17

::wind!::

Yes, I still haven't had a chance to sail the new sails. When there's been a breeze, I haven't been at the boat. And those gorgeous sunshine days were due to an impressive high that killed all hopes of any sailing in Indian Arm.

I love Reid Island, and have sailed up there three or four time now; every time I've gone up into the jungles its been through Surge Narrows rather than the long route up through Yuculta Rapids or past Mudge and up through Seymor Narrows. If you get a chance, go up to the general store at Surge Narrows on the island - a fun and ecclectic collection of stuff. They also have added quite a length of docks, so it may be a pretty good place to hang out for a few days. Good hiking, a couple of lakes and parks, roads are really poor unless you have a mtn bike.

Up the channel from Surge Narrows are the spider islands and Wallace Bay. Beautiful, but the last times I went there (high summer) it was quite crowded, lots of darth vader boats (wife's term for the monster motorboats that look vaguely like the DV helmet.) June and September visits had the place nearly to myself.

There's a restaurant in Gorge Harbour, Cortes Island, we really like, at the resort there. Every summer the owners try to get a great chef out of Vancouver, and they've been pretty successful. The resort was sold a year ago, and we didn't get up there last summer so I don't know if they're still keeping the tradition.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote