Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2009, 08:02   #1

Boat: Beneteau 305
Comox to Victoria

The Admiral (you know who she is..) and I plan to head down to Victoria next week (Mar 15 or so) from Deep Bay. Timing for departial mostly depends on the weather, looking for sunny skys forcast for 3 to 4 days running, sailing in the winter is one thing, but sailing in the cold wet rain, sucks. Will probable kick the hook over at Protection Isl., head through Dodds Narrows to Maple Bay, and then on to Sydney.
Sooo.... Anyone out there plan on being on the water, it's always fun when there are other boats around.
We went out for the last week in Febuary. The weather was great, sunny every day, -2 C at night and 8 or 10 C in the day. I know 8 or 10 does not sound very warm, but you know what they say, it was a dry warm. Anyway the trip started out being an overnighter to Comox ended up being a 6 day trip to Powell River, Pender Hourbor, Thromanby, and Secret Cove. I was just following the Admirals orders, she found the sailing to be very comfortable and just kept sending me off to the next port.
So time to get out again while I have the free time, appointments this week, so it's next week sometime. Come on,.... Suck it up Princess,... anyone gonna be on the water???
Exocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:26   #2

I am envious. I had planned a instructor's course for that time, but it got moved into the fall. My first trip is mid April.

Jack
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 08:30   #3

Don't be too envious, cause looks like I will be away for work all summer, so in reality I am just trying to get my fix in early.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:59   #4

Maybe...

I need to get the boat south to the USA for a bit, before the end of March.

My plan is, if the weather gods are favourable, to head out on the 17th and spend the rest of the week puttering about, aiming for Roche Harbor in the San Juans (which has a nice restaurant, as well as a Customs officer.) I'd like to head out this weekend, but I have a dental appointment on the 17th.

I'll have the kid as crew, as it will be Spring Break. Parental bonding under duress, I think.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 12:50   #5

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
exocet,
wife and i were just anchored out at protection last weekend was great had a complete mixed bag of weather. beautiful sunny cold day then snow storms and wind was nice though, walked around newcastle had the whole island to ourselves. we are setup in ladysmith always out playin maybe see you out there.
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2009, 05:54   #6

Just as I am getting ready to play, wouldn't you know it, work gets in the way. The plan is still intact, however departure is now set for the 19th or 20th of March. Hope to see someone out there, and hope to see ya around Ladysmith Michaelmrc.
Old 30-03-2009, 07:04   #7

How's that song go... Work gets in your eye..?? Work work work, enough allready, I will be off on or about the 4th of April, no more false starts, moored in Comox, probably heading north through the Strait, but weather and wind will more than likely dictate wether it's north or south. Let me know if your going to be out there.
Old 30-03-2009, 07:20   #8

Been and back again!

I made a pretty miserable (due to weather, mistakes) quick trip to the USA. Some long, cold beats, and had too much wind, not enough wind, and just the right wind. And for about 2 hours I had a great beam reach (with a bit too much wind, or too much sail, but then it became a beat and it didn't matter anymore.)

The one thing I was wishing for was a survival suit to keep me warm and dry on deck, and maybe a dodger...

Old 31-03-2009, 12:47   #9

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
I lived in a tiny little cabin on Protection Island in the late 70s. I used to row my boat back and forth to the Malaspina Hotel where I worked in the kitchen. Those WERE the good old days.........m
Old 31-03-2009, 14:53   #10

Boat: 41' Morgan Classic
I used to fly in and out of there at that same time. Not sure when you were last up this way, cantxsailor, but the harbour has changed hugely. The Malaspina Hotel after being a derelict for many years is now condos!
bytownboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2009, 21:12   #11

<stupendously excited>

I have new sails! A new main, 100%, and 130%... fully-battened main (first for me) and the working jib is cut to set on the inside jib track, while the genoa is cut to set on the cap rail track.

Now I have to plot a new jaunt or three just to try out the new sails! What I most need to do is lower the mast so I can reeve some new halyards and get a look at the &^@( anchor/steaming light lamp fixture - it decided to completely fail.

Not that I'm opposed to excuses either to work on the boat or to go sailing... I just need at least one brawny volunteer to help lower/raise the mast. Anyone local to Vancouver?

Old 03-04-2009, 06:49   #12

I am real sorry I missed your post Amgine, just come back from Van, would have been there in a New York minute to help. The sun is suppose to be out for the next 4 or 5 days, and heading out Saturday morning (Apr 4). Hope to see you out there, should be a good weekend.
Old 03-04-2009, 06:57   #13

nice weather = try out new sails!

Not a problem Exocet; I'm going to try to get out on the water repeatedly this weekend myself! I have new sails to learn how to use, and my dash to the states and back proved I'm out of shape and practice; time to get started on an exercise schedule.

I'll need to get the mast down and back up again sometime soon, but I gotta have at least a sail or two with the new top hamper first. Maybe I should entice you for a trip back to Vancouver - the cherry blossom festival is on, I saw some flowers were opening yesterday so by mid-week everything should be going full-bore. Lots of music, dining, entertainment events... ::grin:: Just in case you have a free weekend before the end of April.

Old 03-04-2009, 07:25   #14

Checked out yer Blog, pretty good. New sails, guess some of your dreams came through. You did not mention who made the sails, and I was curious in what ball park they are in, little leauge at less than $1000 per sail, or major leauge at over $1000 ?? When you are doing the mast, don't forget to put a coin under it.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:40   #15

Hmmm... Are we talking US dollars or Canadian dollars for determining the league? ::chuckle::

The three sails I just purchased were right near your dividing line - the main was $1765, the 130 genoa $1106, the 100 jib was $955 - so I guess they qualify as 'big league' but only barely. The sails were made by Dave Cross at Quantuum Design Group - I don't want to advertise for him, but he's been very easy to work with and maybe after this weekend I can make informed comment about his product beyond 'they looked nice at the loft, and have really huge bags...'

The mast is deck-stepped in a hinged fitting - it's a small boat designed to be trailered - so I won't be able to put a coin down at the moment. This fall, however, I have hopes of putting down a new deck plate and I have just the coin for the job.

I'd better start working on that blog some more, but first I'm heading off to the boat with the camera and hopes for some dry hours today.