Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2009, 15:30   #1

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36 - "Cambria"
Cruising from Corpus Christi to Galveston

Need current info about cruising from Corpus Christi to Galveston. Anything new since Ike? Thansk
Old 23-03-2009, 18:04   #2

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
A couple of things:

Make sure you have fuel before leaving Freeport, going east. I've heard that the marina is back open on the gulf side at Freeport - but that you might not want to spend the night there - at $2 a foot. You likely will have difficulty finding fuel from Freeport all the way to and including Galveston. Clear Lake is fine.

We have lots of friends in Clear Lake, and they indicate that all is fine on the ICW, and in Clear Lake.

You DO need to note: If you take the ICW from Port O'Connor east towards Galveston, THE OLD SOUTH CHANNEL ACROSS MATAGORDA BAY IS CLOSED. Many charts have only this channel, not the new one. Many chartplotters also don't have the new channel. When leaving Port O'Connor, when you hit the ship channel, take a left. That will take you north-northwest where you can pick up the new ICW channel. This chart shows only the NEW channel (and part of the old one):

Chart 11317

From Corpus Christi, suggested night stops are:

Ingleside Cove (if you only have a 1/2 a day the first day)

Port Aransas (City Marina)

Anchoring on the Gulf side of the Lydia Ann Channel between Port A and Rockport

Rockport (Key Allegro is a good choice)

Port O'Connor (St. Christophers, but unless you are small, you won't have power). There's a new marina, but I don't think it's up and running yet.

Matagorda

Freeport

Galveston

Are you going all the way to Clear Lake? It's possible to make the run all the way from CC to Clear Lake in 2 VERY long days. But I wouldn't recommend it.

You can make the run from Port Aransas, outside, in about a day or a day and a half, to Galveston, as long as the wind isn't out of the north. Leave Port Aransas at daylight, and you should arrive in Galveston in 24 hours +/- depending upon your speed. Whatever you do, don't go as the crow flies, you'll end up on the beach!

I'd also recommend picking up a copy of the Texas Cruising Guide. We have one on our boat in CC that you may borrow - but you HAVE to promise to get it back to us. When are you planning on leaving? Also, feel free to call - take my phone number with you in case of questions or trouble:

bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2009, 18:12   #3

Thanks for all the great info. We are hoping to stay out of the ICW so we can get back asap. We are going with friends who are buying a boat in Corpus and taking it back here to Clear Lake. But, we are new boat owners ourselves and have never taken the trip.
Old 23-03-2009, 18:14   #4

We are doing it the first part of June
Old 23-03-2009, 18:34   #5

They didn't buy a Tartan 37, by chance, did they?

Anyway, I'd go to Port A, spend the night, then take the overnight jump to Galveston. Your choice, the safety zones with the traffic, or radar & rigs.

You'll arrive at Galveston entrance, with plenty of time to make the run to Clear Lake. Don't depend upon fuel in Galveston.
Old 23-03-2009, 19:49   #6

No, its an Islander 36. Its at the T-head right in front of Joes Crab Shack

Thanks, by the way, for your offer to borrow the book. I'll pass that offer on to my friend.
Old 24-03-2009, 04:51   #7

Rather than borrowing your book, he asked if you knew where he could buy one... Looked online and could not find it. Is it Campbell's guide by the way? I see that it is on hold becuase of Ike
Old 24-03-2009, 07:55   #8

Yes, it's Campbell's. My edition is about 5 years old, I think.

We are on "D" pier, right in front of Joe's. Sounds like the same pier.
Old 24-03-2009, 08:58   #9

We have a friend here locally that has a copy so I will try to get it from him. If he can't find it I'll let you know and maybe we will borrow yours.

I'm not sure what pier the Islander is on. And, we will know more detail about when we are going in a couple of weeks.

I appreciate you taking the time to visit! I'll keep your number. Please let me know if you have any other words of wizdom for us.

Thanks Again!
Old 24-03-2009, 13:26   #10

Islander 36

As the future owner of the Islander 36, I can tell you it is on "C".
Thanks for your help and the offer of the book!

We are all looking forward to moving this boat from CC to Clear Lake - it will be the biggest sailing adventure of our short sailing careers.
CurtisE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2009, 20:53   #11

There will be LOTS of good advice on "C" pier. Talk to Bob & K on "Rima", right as you walk onto the pier. They have been up & down the coast a bunch of times, and have done extensive cruising in the islands. Next to them (or 1 more over) is Lynn & Susan of "Susan II", a Catalina 40. They are leaving to Tampa, for the race from Clearwater to Mexico. They will be back in late May. Another great source of info. Across from Lynn & Susan are Mark & Brenda on a Benenteau 47. Lots of fun, and good info on Port A.
Old 18-05-2009, 19:05   #12

Hi! My wife and I were just in Corpus Christi this past weekend touring a Beneteau 46. We currently have a 36 Hunter Vision slipped in Harborwalk Marina between Freeport and Galveston. If you looking for a quick overnight stay may I suggest Harborwalk Marina and ship store/deli, diesel, water and a great restaurant (tell Eddie I sent you) . Let me know when you are coming in an I'll buy the first round. If we do a deal on the Beneteau we might just flotila up and make the run together. If you interested in stopping in Freeport may I suggest the Seaside Marina for an easy in/out from the gulf. It's relatively new and within walking distance to several rest.
Bridge Harbor Marina in Freeport is very tight, so I prefer Seaside.
Please contact us via Private Message through this Forum.
McCoy & Marcia
Kalypso Hunter 36
Harborwalk Yacht Club
McCoy Burnett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 06:43   #13
cruiser

Corpus Christi to Galveston: Port O'Connor

We just made the trip (Aug 2010). I know this is an old thread, but thought the info might help someone else.

Everything in here is pretty spot-on. An additional note about Port O'Connor:

We put into Port O'Connor on the way down and stayed at the bulkhead by Clark's Inn. Mistake. The help at the Inn didn't tell us we needed a converter to bring it down to 30 amps, so we didn't bring one. We had to use a 30/15 converter and step down from a panel that was quite a run. The 2nd boat used an extension cord, which was pretty warm by morning. We stayed at Clark's due to the poor electrical situation at Christopher's, amongst other things.

The bulkhead is open to the ICW, and with the swarms of small fishing craft running by, it was bouncy. The ground along the bulkhead isn't cared for or mowed, so it was full of cockleburrs, which we tracked in despite our best efforts. There's no way to avoid them, as they grow down to and over the concrete bulkhead. They aren't as bad a little further away from the bulkhead, since that's where all the big trucks park. Great sunset view, if you like pickups. :^]

There are no showers or water, although we were told we could avail ourselves of the breakfast at the Inn. We were just anxious to be on our way the next morning, so decided not to, but one of my crew did stop in to ask where we could throw our trash. She was told "We don't take sailboat trash here". Nice people. We dumped our trash in the nearest can outside one of the units and left. The help seems to be either nice and clueless (we have slips?) or surly and clueless.

On the way back, we opted for an early departure from Freeport and made Matagorda at sunset. The marina there is nice, as are the people running it. We took showers in the air conditioned facilities and washed Port O'Connor off of us.
CptnBrent is offline   Reply With Quote