Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2024, 04:44   #1

Distances between NYC and Nantucket/Provincetown

Hi !
We will be on our motor boat this summer and i am trying to plan our itinerary. I am looking for the navigation distances between NYC and Nantucket and Provincetown. Thanks in advance !
Stephe222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2024, 04:49   #2

Re: Distances between NYC and Nantucket/Provincetown

I believe this info is available in an Eldridge Tide and pilot book. A great resource to have when sailing the waters of the northeast U.S. I'm currently not near the boat so I can't look it up.
Old 13-05-2024, 05:25   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1981 Sea Sprite 34 Sold, now living ashore. Bristol 27

Pull out the charts, plot your courses and use your dividers to measure the distances. I believe it's called navigation.
canvasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2024, 05:28   #4

You're kidding, right? You're going to go someplace and can't figure out the bare basics on the route?

I hope you're a hidden sailor trying to give powerboaters a bad rap...........
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2024, 05:38   #5

www.nauticalcharts.noaa.gov

“Distance Between US Ports”

Table 3, Coastwise distances, Cape Cod to New York
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2024, 05:50   #6

Come on guys, this isn't SA. We're nice to newbies here.

For rough planning it's about 200 miles from NY to Nantucket and about 75 miles more to Provincetown. You are going to need a lot more detail from the resources referenced in the previous posts when you get down to planning the actual passage.
Old 13-05-2024, 05:57   #7

Giving you the benefit of the doubt that perhaps your chartplotter and charts live on the boat and are not accessible on hand, here are some good resources where you can answer these sorts of questions (and more) for yourself from anywhere.

First, DeepZoom is the easiest to use because it runs in your browser. No set up. Usable from your PC, smartphone, or tablet. Plot courses and view tides.
https://www.deepzoom.com/

Next, and very popular, is OpenCPN. OpenCPN is a fully featured chart plotter. It is open source software and there is a community of plugins for all sorts of things from anchor alarms to weather grib files. That said, if you are not computer savvy there can be a learning curve and the use interfaces are not quite as refined as some of the expensive chart plotting software out there. It may or may not be for you, but it is worth being aware of.
https://opencpn.org/
fregata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2024, 09:36   #8

Boat: Catalina 42

For rough planning purposes when away from the boat I use Google Maps, which has a function to measure the distance between 2 points.

Those distances are in statute miles. Convert to nautical miles by dividing the number of statute miles by 1.15.
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2024, 12:03   #9

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Depends on what route you take. As the crow flies from Throgs Neck to the Race to Martha's Vineyard to Nantucket measures about 180 nm. Add 20 nm or so just assuming you'll need to dodge a few things and that would be the absolute minimum. The way I would plot it out is days traveled. Not knowing how many miles you want to do per day, break up the trip into comfortable chunks with a nice harbor at the end of each day with plenty of extra time. Then add at least a day at each destination, plus add a couple of days a week for weather, miscellaneous, etc. One thing to keep in mind is where you will be getting fuel. For example, even though you can get it on Block Island, Martha's Vineyard, and Nantucket you probably don't want to unless you don't mind kicking in an extra buck or so per gallon for island pricing. Check out New Bedford for good fuel at reasonable rates.
Old 13-05-2024, 19:23   #10

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Down load navionics or what are navagation Calm down you will be using to and start to play with the program. Answer your own questions as they come while you are acclimatizing to the navigation systems you will need to use to do the trip.

predictwind is a great tool to help with the complexity of weather and routing.

Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2024, 20:23   #11

Download Aqua Maps onto an IPad or other tablet. It will be invaluable while planning as well as during the trip. It has extremely simple tools to measure distances or even build a route. Should take about 5 minutes to learn

It also comes with ActiveCaptain and Waterway Guide which describes and has ratings on all the harbors, anchorages, and marinas you might want to visit.

If you plan to visit Nantucket it is not too early to reserve a mooring. They are often full in summer and anchoring is difficult there.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2024, 21:04   #12

For a rough idea you don't need fancy navigation gear or even paper charts.

Just bring up Google Earth on your 'puter and "zoom in" to some scale you like, then use the "Path" function to plot the track you want to take. In the drop-down window that is part of that function, there is a "Measurement" function that will tell you how long the path is. You can specify that that measurement be in nautical miles.

Bon voyage!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2024, 21:31   #13

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Free View Post
Come on guys, this isn't SA. We're nice to newbies here.

For rough planning it's about 200 miles from NY to Nantucket and about 75 miles more to Provincetown. You are going to need a lot more detail from the resources referenced in the previous posts when you get down to planning the actual passage.
The nice thing is that cruising New England is not that hard, there are plenty of good ports and stops along the way, if coming up Long Island sound, cruising out to Block Island, moving on to Newport, on to the MA ports, of which there are many, depending on your needs/wants. Best to get a cruising guide and look at the many interesting pace to visit along the way. Buzzards Bay can be annoying if there's a southwest breeze against a foul tide, but it's usually doable.
If going in the peak of the summer season it may be good to look ahead for reservations if you want a dock or mooring. If your able to anchor (I have 350 feet of chain and good anchors) there is more flexibility.
Figure out your comfort level and use the guides to make a loose plan since weather can always alter your plan.
After 4 years of cruising the Caribbean we'll be back in New England waters this year, where the distances are doable on a daily basis. But good preparation if you plan to do longer cruises in the future, nothing like doing to learn what works for you.
Hope Your cruise goes well.
Maybe do an overnight transit toward the end of your cruise, just to see what it requires, on a safe, relatively easy route, the ability to do an overnight passage expands your cruising grounds exponentially. It's all a learning curve.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nantucket, nyc