Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2015, 07:29   #1

Free Florida...what would you do??

Anything related to boats and boating is a compromise- unless money and time are no object.

I have my own sailboat on the west coast. But I had the opportunity to partner with a long time friend on a Florida boat. I fly for free, but am usually limited to three days to a week at a time that I can spend out there. Plus a family vacation of longer time (3-4 weeks).

I had the bug to see that turquoise water or the keys. This Beneteau 393 is a 5.1 draft. My buddy wants to be able to day sail when he comes to town and is less experienced. I have no problem single handing although I have to get used to currents, bridges and inlets which I don't deal with on the West Coast.

He has a condo in Boca Raton, FL where the dock space is almost free for us. But it's not a practical place for day sailing and not the quickest place to get in and out of the close inlets, especially when timing tides.

We could move the boat for three months to a better location that would provide us more use. Looks like up to 2 grand a month in Palm Beach in the season.

I want to experience some clear water Bahamas stuff and the Keys. I don't want to wait til I retire to do this. I'm not going to charter. We already own this boat so another choice is not an option.

I have read thousands of pages trying to get local knowledge. I have guides, active captain and the like.

What would you all do? Can't beat "free" which is where she can be most of the year. I have looked at craigslist for $500 dock space on the AICW closer to usable inlets. Is there private stuff in the keys for that or less that we can leave it there a while and keep moving?

Just trying to maximize the compromise!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jethro411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2015, 08:46   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Free Florida...what would you do??

You can rent a dock for $400 in Fort Lauderdale, 10 mins from the FLL airport and 45 mins to the ocean, 11 hrs to the Bahamas.
Or rent a dock in Nassau, close to the airport and protected area, almost hurricane hole.
(Retired airline pilot renting the docks in Nassau, he will pick you up at the airport and show you around before you decide, forgot the price, probably the same as in Fort Luaderdale, $10 per foot per month.)
Old 14-03-2015, 09:01   #3

That is good info, especially if I can get retired pilot contact. I'd have to see if the FLL dock at $400/mo is much better than the free Boca spot.

One wild card is another of our close sailing friends lives in west palm and may split marina fees three ways if it's up by him. Lake Park Marina would be $250 max three ways and close to open water.
Old 14-03-2015, 09:05   #4

Will look up the guy in the Bahamas and send ya a PM.
Great location in Nassau as you are only 8 hours away from the Exumas.

I should have done the same with my boat to avoid the crossing ps of the Gulf Stream all the time and I fly for free as well.
Plenty of flights to NAS, Spirit, JetBlue, Delta,,etc, etc.
Old 15-03-2015, 07:44   #5

Boat: Catalina 270

Message to CSY MAN, I'd also be interrested in the contact information for the retired pilot in Nassau. Does he have more then one spot or just one?
Tommy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2015, 07:50   #6

He's full but thanks for the info.
Old 15-03-2015, 08:21   #7

Quote:
. Re: Free Florida...what would you do??
Message to CSY MAN, I'd also be interrested in the contact information for the retired pilot in Nassau. Does he have more then one spot or just one?
He has more than 1 spot, at least 2 or 3 but nothing available right now.

Tags
florida