Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-08-2009, 01:37   #16

Boat: 36' Magellan "Steady Beat"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I'm not saying 16 is too young and good luck to her. Personally these things strike me more as stunts backed by adults whose motives I'd be more interested to know about. Solo crossings are not new, that barrier has been reached long ago by many people. But I'm curious as to know. Where is the age limit when people start to say enough?
From Zac's website:

"But even in triumph, Sunderland was already conscious of his commercial appeal. He sailed into the harbor with his 36-foot vessel Intrepid weighted down by flags of many of the 50-plus sponsors of his trip. He wore a specially designed shirt with his sponsor logos, which his father, Laurence, delivered to him the night before during a stop in Emerald Bay."

So yes, the adults involved are in it for the money, but then without their up-front cash "investments" to get Zac ready for the trip (and provide the support along the way), maybe it would not have taken place, and most definitely not have progressed in such a timely manner.

Some might choose a less commercial approach, but again that's a question for the adults to ponder.

BWS
BlueWaterSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 04:11   #17

Boat: Currently boatless
I wish Jessica the best and I think it is great that she is doing it. I know in the US and probably many other places that we see 16 year olds as kids. But there are other places where kids grow up much more quickly and take on the responsibilities of being adults even though they are younger than 16.
Soon2BCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:25   #18

Boat: Martzcraft 35 ft ketch, Masquerade
seadog3315..
I saw her at the Boat Show as well and like you I was struck by the competence she seemed to have at the age of 16. The boat, apart from the colour, also seemed to be well set up.
Colin
Masquerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:42   #19

Boat: Bristol 38.8
According to her website she plans to do all three capes heading East. That's fairly impressive.

She's also a pretty girl and can likely parlay a successful trip into a number of lucrative business opportunities. Nothing wrong with that IMHO.
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:07   #20
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Beauty, brains, and youth. I don't know if those are all the needed requirements to complete this stunt safely and successfully. I said earlier I wish her all the best. That 16 may not be too young. I wish I knew how to make one of those poll threads. I'd like to see where we as board of vast sailing experiences do find a cut off age where we as responsible adults say "Wait, that's ridiculous".
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 06:33   #21

Boat: Bristol 38.8
Well, I recall the advice Ann Landers once gave to a mother whose 15 year-old daughter wanted to wear a strapless gown to the junior prom: "If it stays up, she's old enough to wear it."
Curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 07:12   #22
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog3315 View Post
I attended her talk on stage at the Sydney International Boat Show, where her boat was displayed. I saw her boat first, so was not sure what to expect. I came away very impressed and full of admiration of her. Like many others who were there, we wish her every success in her quest.

She said she had dreamt of sailing solo since the age of 11. It wasn't until this Queenslander turned 16 in May that she was allowed to skipper her own boat. I believe she had done her Ocean Yachtmaster course (includes celestial navigation), so hats off to her.

For those who may have missed this post. It says a lot about who Jessica is. It would be tough to decide where to draw the line of age. We are all indiviuals, and have differnet limits in our abilities. I would think her parents love her enough that they would not send her below the capes if she did not have the ability......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 05:24   #23

Boat: Adams 13 (43ft) Xyris
It's a while since this thread has been add to. So this may be a late post but here it is anyway.

This thread is positive. I’ve been following another thread on CF titled “Yachting – Fail” which is all about Jessica too. It’s very negative and depressing, I hope Jessica never see's it. This title is positive along with the comments. Sounds like the participants are the kind of people I meet in beautiful remote anchorages and make my life a pleasure. Half full rather than half empty people!

I too had the pleasure of meeting Jessica but at her home marina and instantly developed admiration for her and her goal. I think she screwed up along with the crew of the bulk carrier. Lessons were learnt and when she starts the attempt she will be better for it. In my opinion she will have a difficult but successful sail ahead of her ...I hope I'm right on this one.

Smooth sailing and good fortune…

Go Jessica!
fabian1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 05:48   #24
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Fabian. you are just dredging up an old thread. It doesnt make your opinion more right than other peoples!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2009, 10:35   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2
The Australian maritime authorities have a fairly damning report on her abilities following the collision, according to the Aussie press:

Sailing Maryland: Damning report on 'youngest circumnavigator'
Old 18-10-2009, 23:48   #26

Boat: Mahe 36 Wayward Wind
Jessica sets sail

We were among the small fleet of boats who saw her off on her great adventure. We wish her every success. Wayward Wind is the white catamaran on the right. See Jessica Watson sets off on round the world sail

JohnC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	watson.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	10597  
Wayward Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2009, 01:49   #27

Boat: Martzcraft 35 ft ketch, Masquerade
Some concerns but high hopes

I have sat as a spectator to this episode and wish that I had some sage like pronouncement. She sailed out of the heads on a round the world voyage at the age of 16. I first sailed out the heads at the age of 40 and that was like sailing to the moon.

Like many others I am apprehensive. But, like many others, I can only wish her well. Bon voyage young lady.
Colin
Masquerade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
round the world